Old May 23rd 10, 11:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Repair or keep?

I have some old Amateur Radio Equipment I'm trying to decide whether to sell
, restore, or keep.

The stuff in question is a Johnson Viking Ranger Transmitter, the 160-10 M
version, including a Johnson TR switch, and a Hallicrafters SC-77A Receiver.

I don't have a variac, so I have not fired any of them up, and I assume all
will need new resistors and caps.

They're in reasonable cosmetic condition, but show signs of wear, and have
been sitting on the shelf for 10 years at least.

I'm looking for some advice on whether to restore them, and if I do where I
can find electrolytics to replace existing ones.

If I decide I don't have the time, what would be a fair price to offer them
for? and do you recommend any particular venue?

I'm on Vancouver Island in British Columbia Canada.

Bob, VE7HS
Old May 24th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bob,
It really depends on what you'd like to do. If you think you'd
like to get them going and use as a vintage station, its certainly
worth the time and effort to fix them up. personally I get a big
kick out of doing this. All the time I hear folks saying they wish
they had kept their old rigs. Plenty of help if you decide to
restore. As for value if you decide to sell, check out the
forums at QRZ.com or even fleabay.
Steve
"Robert Smits" wrote in message
[...]

OLD TV REPAIR TOOLS-permapower huebrite picture tube brightener-6-page tv set service tips tube replacement book-sylvania techs handheld colorviewer tool-vintage repair shop cleanout-$10 Dwight D. Eisenhower Swap 0 December 19th 07 01:17 PM
Help: Ham III or IV Repair Doug Equipment 2 December 18th 05 12:00 PM
repair help TomCat4680 Scanner 0 September 27th 05 12:43 AM
Repair or Buy New FireStarter5 Shortwave 15 March 26th 05 10:14 AM
repair of old bug garigue Equipment 0 November 8th 03 11:29 PM