Old February 8th 11, 06:10 AM
Junior Member

Default Is an original Hallicrafters S-20 Sky Champion in rough shape worth more than $25?

I bought a lot of Hallicrafters and the included S-20 is in sad shape. It has a fair amount of dents and dings to the trim and the sheet metal is rusting and needs refinished. It appeared to be mostly intact with missing knobs but I have the missing knobs from other radios. The tubes were pulled for shipping, but I have most of them as spares too.

It's more work than I want to tackle and I'd rather restore the others. Aside from gutting it for the field coil speaker, iron and toggle switches; is it worth more than $20-$25 plus shipping? If it is, then I'll sell it and let somebody else restore it, but if they're not worth the hassle, then I'll salvage what I can use and send off the sub-chassis to somebody that can use it.

Sorry if this comes across as trolling or spamming, but I don't want to scrap it and find out later that somebody else could have restored it and enjoyed it; however, I need the room for the other radios I plan to keep and restore.

The keepers are a black Sky Buddy, a S-40B, a mint S-58, a S-76, and a butchered SX-99 that has a replacement amp meter with more replacement knobs than originals. There is one other radio, but I forget the model.

The S-58 will be the easiest to get back in working order, then either the S-40B or S-76. The rest need more work and more parts to restore to original.

TIA,

- BMF
Old February 9th 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

--
BoilermakerFan

In short, no.
rgds,
Mark S.
Old February 9th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

BoilermakerFan wrote:

It's more work than I want to tackle and I'd rather restore the others.
Aside from gutting it for the field coil speaker, iron and toggle
switches; is it worth more than $20-$25 plus shipping? If it is, then
I'll sell it and let somebody else restore it, but if they're not worth
the hassle, then I'll salvage what I can use and send off the
sub-chassis to somebody that can use it.

You'd be better off karma-wise selling it intact True, it won't
bring a bunch of money but there are plenty of folks looking for an
inexpensive beater to restore themselves.

Putting it in a box and shipping it is less hassle than stripping it to
parts and shipping the pieces individually, right?

GL,
Bill
Old February 9th 11, 07:23 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M[_5_] View Post

You'd be better off karma-wise selling it intact True, it won't
bring a bunch of money but there are plenty of folks looking for an
inexpensive beater to restore themselves.

Putting it in a box and shipping it is less hassle than stripping it to
parts and shipping the pieces individually, right?

GL,
Bill
Thanks Bill. That was kind of my point, the karma. I'm well on the good side right now since I just shipped off drivers, crossovers, and paperwork from the old Advent Large speakers as they needed to have the surrounds replaced and the cabinets were trashed. The new owner is building new cabinets for them and they will be better than new when he's done.

I'd only strip the PS iron and speaker as I took a good look at the toggles and they aren't worth the hassle of stripping out. I haven't stripped it of the iron yet, it's just missing the knobs and tubes. I have the knobs, but planned to allocate them to other radios.

Heck, I'd take $10 plus the shipping and packaging costs to just cover a small portion of my time and the materials. So I'll make a new post later with actual pics so somebody can see what they are in for. I'll give it a week to find a new home before it gets gutted and recycled.

The Sky Buddy may up in the same boat. It's in far better condition on the exterior, but my other radios cover the same bands so it's probably best to pass it on too.

- BMF

Last edited by BoilermakerFan : February 9th 11 at 07:26 PM
Old November 24th 13, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:10:00 AM UTC+1, BoilermakerFan wrote:
[...]

Hello,

Would you have the back and top covers for a Hallicrafter S-20 R Sky Champion?
Thanks and regards

Marronnier

Old November 25th 13, 03:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013, wrote:

[...]

Would you still have something like that after 2 years and about 10
months?

And since the history of this newsgroup has mostly been hit and run
posters, chances are good that even after 2 years and about 10 months the
poster wouldn't still be here. Even in its prime most posters didn't
stick around, and now without nay real discussion, there's even less
reason for people to stick around.

Michael VE2BVW