Old December 10th 11, 03:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Jan '57 CQ p. 60 4-tube CW 80-40 XCVR

'Way back in 2003, Dick Carroll posted a note in this group saying he
could scan a 4-page article starting on page 60 of the January, 1957,
issue of CQ magazine which showed a 4-tube CW transceiver.

I'd sure like to receive a copy of that article.

-- Myron A. Calhoun, a taxpayer hoping and working for change!
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
NRA Life Member & Certified Instructor for Rifle, Pistol, & Home Firearm Safety
Also Certified Instructor for the Kansas Concealed-Carry Handgun (CCH) license
Old December 10th 11, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

--

Hi, Myron

Here's the article:

https://rapidshare.com/files/1917089...ewer.pdf?bin=1

(If the address wraps around, just highlight the whole thing
before clicking on it.)

It looks pretty good, except I would use a power transformer
to avoid the shock hazard.

I checked the December 1957 CQ yearly index,
and there was no reference to any corrections
to this article, so it should be good to go.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Old December 10th 11, 11:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 12/10/2011 04:32 PM, Edward Knobloch wrote:
On 12/10/2011 10:59 AM, Myron A. Calhoun wrote:
'Way back in 2003, Dick Carroll posted a note in this group saying he
could scan a 4-page article starting on page 60 of the January, 1957,
issue of CQ magazine which showed a 4-tube CW transceiver.

I'd sure like to receive a copy of that article.

--

Hi, Myron

Here's the article:

https://rapidshare.com/files/1917089...ewer.pdf?bin=1

(If the address wraps around, just highlight the whole thing
before clicking on it.)

It looks pretty good, except I would use a power transformer
to avoid the shock hazard.

I checked the December 1957 CQ yearly index,
and there was no reference to any corrections
to this article, so it should be good to go.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Interesting minimal rig. The voltage tripler supply looks a little
fishy, there should be three diodes in a tripler (the two in series
count as one), though he DOES have three capacitors. I would use a
power supply with a conventional full wave rectifier myself. I guess he
was limited for space. Still the transformerless supply will be safe if
the chassis is grounded to a true earth ground and the hot side is
fused. (Might have a bad hum problem though).
Old December 11th 11, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Kenneth Scharf wrote:
Interesting minimal rig. The voltage tripler supply looks a little
fishy, there should be three diodes in a tripler (the two in series
count as one), though he DOES have three capacitors. I would use a
power supply with a conventional full wave rectifier myself. I guess he
was limited for space. Still the transformerless supply will be safe if
the chassis is grounded to a true earth ground and the hot side is
fused. (Might have a bad hum problem though).

Hot chassis supplies were very common back in that era, and most consumer
television sets and radios continued to be hot chassis well into the
seventies.

My first transmitter was hot chassis, just a 6L6 with cathode keying
and a first-order bandpass on the output....
--scott

Old December 11th 11, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 12/11/2011 10:11 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Kenneth wrote:
Interesting minimal rig. The voltage tripler supply looks a little
fishy, there should be three diodes in a tripler (the two in series
count as one), though he DOES have three capacitors. I would use a
power supply with a conventional full wave rectifier myself. I guess he
was limited for space. Still the transformerless supply will be safe if
the chassis is grounded to a true earth ground and the hot side is
fused. (Might have a bad hum problem though).

Hot chassis supplies were very common back in that era, and most consumer
television sets and radios continued to be hot chassis well into the
seventies.

My first transmitter was hot chassis, just a 6L6 with cathode keying
and a first-order bandpass on the output....
--scott

I recall an article about a 1KW 80 meter linear using 10 1625 tubes in
parallel (might have been 9 in parallel with one as a driver) with the
heaters wired in series and a voltage quadrupler power supply operating
off the AC mains (120v).

Old December 12th 11, 06:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Kenneth wrote:
[...]

Oh, yeah! I started pulling 1625's out of command set transmitters to
build that honey, but ended with push-pull VT-4C/211's from the spare
tube kit that came with a complete BC-375.

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ

Old December 15th 11, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Kenneth wrote:
[...]

HA! Audiofools would sell their first born to get those tubes today!
Old December 15th 11, 06:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Kenneth wrote:
[...]

I've still got 3 or 4 that have seen severe service. First born require
long term high maintenance.

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ