Old January 29th 12, 10:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Speaker and DSP for boatanchor receivers

If I wanted to buy a NEW 3.2 ohm speaker to use with a Hammarlund radio is there one that anyone would recommended for listening to AM broadcasts?
Is there any recommended size speaker such as 6 inch or 8 inch, etc?
Is there any loss in audio quality using a 4 ohm speaker?
How would two 8 ohm speaker in parallel work?

Is anyone using a DSP unit with their boatanchor which they would recommend?
Most [All ?] DSP units distort the audio so there is probably always some distortion, but some DSP units would be better than others. I am thinking in term of AM signals broadcast band reception.

I have followed the price of the Hammarlund speakers on ebay and they are a bit expensive. I assume they would be best, but a bit rich for me.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Old January 30th 12, 07:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Cadiscase wrote:
If I wanted to buy a NEW 3.2 ohm speaker to use with a Hammarlund radio is there one that anyone would recommended for listening to AM broadcasts?
Is there any recommended size speaker such as 6 inch or 8 inch, etc?

I would suggest you look at the Quam 8-inch full range speakers. The
8-ohm ones are fine.

The good news is that if you have a full-range speaker, the larger they get
the lower the low end corner can be, because they can move more air. But the
larger they get, the more high frequency breakup problems you have. The
8-inch drivers are very common since they are used in cheap distributed PA
systems.

Is there any loss in audio quality using a 4 ohm speaker?

No, because the speaker impedance is all over the place. In fact, I would
suggest just using an 8-ohm driver and losing 3 dB of maximum level.

How would two 8 ohm speaker in parallel work?

You'll get interference issues... you'll hear phasing differences when you
move your head because you can't put the two speakers at exactly the same
point in space. An 8-ohm speaker and an 8-ohm power resistor in parallel
would be fine.

Is anyone using a DSP unit with their boatanchor which they would recommend?
Most [All ?] DSP units distort the audio so there is probably always some distortion, but some DSP units would be better than others. I am thinking in term of AM signals broadcast band reception.

You may look at some of the older JPS Communication DSP units. My guess is
that for BC listening, the only really useful DSP feature aside from noise
limiting is heterodyne elimination, and the JPS units were good at that.
--scott

Old January 30th 12, 07:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 14:48:54 -0800, Cadiscase wrote:

If I wanted to buy a NEW 3.2 ohm speaker to use with a Hammarlund radio
is there one that anyone would recommended for listening to AM
broadcasts? Is there any recommended size speaker such as 6 inch or 8
inch, etc? Is there any loss in audio quality using a 4 ohm speaker? How
would two 8 ohm speaker in parallel work?

I suspect that a 4-ohm speaker, or two 8-ohm speakers in parallel, will
sound just fine.

Is anyone using a DSP unit with their boatanchor which they would
recommend? Most [All ?] DSP units distort the audio so there is probably
always some distortion, but some DSP units would be better than others.
I am thinking in term of AM signals broadcast band reception.

I have followed the price of the Hammarlund speakers on ebay and they
are a bit expensive. I assume they would be best, but a bit rich for me.

I don't know what you want the DSP unit to do, or what you're calling
"distortion", but just about any post-audio filtering unit is going to
work by "distorting" the signal -- the question isn't "does it distort?",
but "does it improve other things enough to make the distortion
worthwhile?".

Beyond that -- I dunno, I really got on to answer your speaker question.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old January 30th 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Jan 30, 12:53*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Softwarehttp://www.wescottdesign.com

The noise I [most] want to eliminate is the HISS when you receive a
weaker signal.
The hetrodyne can also be a problem, but the slot can do some good,.
I got the Hammarlund because I wanted the full quality sound on AM.
I will have to except some distortion when I use a DSP unit.
The CLRSpkr DSP is a reasonable unit to use I think.
I would like to eliminate or decrease the fading effect by a better
AVC.
Well I cant have everything with a Hammarlund.Thanks to ALL for their
PS:: Is there a Service Bulletin to the HQ-145X ?
Old February 1st 12, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Cadiscase wrote:

The noise I [most] want to eliminate is the HISS when you receive a
weaker signal.

There isn't a lot out there to do that. There is stuff in the professional
audio world for doing that, but it's either based on a desktop computer or
it's expensive.

Most of these work by breaking the signal up into multiple frequency bands
and gating them individually.

The hetrodyne can also be a problem, but the slot can do some good,.

Slot?

I got the Hammarlund because I wanted the full quality sound on AM.
I will have to except some distortion when I use a DSP unit.
The CLRSpkr DSP is a reasonable unit to use I think.

It's more designed for weak signal SSB work, but try it. In general, I
find most of the gating systems sold for communications to be really
unpleasant for long-term listening.

I would like to eliminate or decrease the fading effect by a better
AVC.

I think the problem is the ionosphere, not the AVC. You can make the AVC
respond faster if you want, but then flutter becomes even more annoying.
Anything that rides the signal is going to cause changes in the noise floor
as it does so.
--scott