Old December 15th 04, 02:19 PM
No Spam

Default QRP transmitter for Boatanchor receivers?

I've searched the web but haven't found the answer to my
QRP CW question.

I'm looking for a QRP CW transmitter kit that includes QSK and
will mute a boatanchor receiver like an SB-303, SX-101, or 75S-1.

I realize that some receivers might not recover fast enough for
QSK.

I've looked at website ads for Ramsey, Vectronixs, and still
don't have an answer. They might do it out of the box; they
might do it with a mod but I haven't found the answer.

A couple watts of CW and capable of working with the WA6OTP PTO
kit.

Anyone got something like that working?

de ah6gi/4

Old December 15th 04, 05:20 PM
No Spam

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:51:26 UTC, (Scott Dorsey)
wrote:

No Spam No
wrote:
I've searched the web but haven't found the answer to my
QRP CW question.

I'm looking for a QRP CW transmitter kit that includes QSK and
will mute a boatanchor receiver like an SB-303, SX-101, or 75S-1.

I realize that some receivers might not recover fast enough for
QSK.

I've looked at website ads for Ramsey, Vectronixs, and still
don't have an answer. They might do it out of the box; they
might do it with a mod but I haven't found the answer.

A couple watts of CW and capable of working with the WA6OTP PTO
kit.

Anyone got something like that working?

I have had great luck with a Heathkit signal generator into a key.

BUT, if you want to get really fancy, check out the ARRL mobile manual,
which has a really neat project transceiver. The transmitter section is
based on a 1J6G and has an optional VFO.

The TAB Book on ham radio projects also had a really neat one-tube transmitter
that was hot chassis and built around the sweep tube. No VFO, though.

Actually, plenty of VFOs out there put out enough power to be used as
QRP rigs standalone.
--scott

thanks but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I want something like a tuna-tin or peanut whistle QRP
transmitter but with QSK TR and receiver muting. I'm not saying
that the tuna-tin won't work. I don't know if it will or not. The
web articles are not explicit on that point.

I'd like 1 to 5 watts of clean CW produced by a solid state
transmitter. Something that runs on a wall wart would be best.

Crystal controlled would be OK but I've been looking at WA6OTP's
website. He sells a PTO kit. Some folk have adapted it to various
transmitters.

I'm not intested in a transceiver. I want it to work with a
boatanchor receiver like the .35 uv, 400 Hz, 1 kHz analog readout
Heathkit SB-303 or the Collins 75S-1 with a CW mechanical
filter and 1 kHz PTO.

The trick is QSK, built in TR switch, and receiver muting.

I'm not interested in a transceiver. I have several boatanchor
receivers that work fine.

KH6IJ (katashi) told me about 1960 that a 75S-1 with a CW
mechanical filter was the "perfect" CW op's rig. At that time, he
was a lowly paid University employee who ran a 75S-1 and an HT-32.

I wondered why he didn't use a 32S-1 or KWM-2. I know the reason
now. The 32S-1 and KWM-2 produce CW by injecting a sinewave audio
tone into the SSB circuitry. Not the best method.

CW from the HT-32 was better. The HT-32 also had the good
Hallicrafter's VFO with great bandspread and smooth tuning.

I know that I can buy a Century 21, HW-16, or Argonaut and have just
as good a CW QSK experience but I want to use a separate receiver.

Seems that at least one of the QRP CW transmitter kits would include
QSK circuitry to TR and mute a receiver.

de ah6gi/4 I have the receivers, I just need the transmitters.

Old December 15th 04, 06:43 PM
Scott Dorsey

No Spam No wrote:
I want something like a tuna-tin or peanut whistle QRP
transmitter but with QSK TR and receiver muting. I'm not saying
that the tuna-tin won't work. I don't know if it will or not. The
web articles are not explicit on that point.

I'd like 1 to 5 watts of clean CW produced by a solid state
transmitter. Something that runs on a wall wart would be best.

Crystal controlled would be OK but I've been looking at WA6OTP's
website. He sells a PTO kit. Some folk have adapted it to various
transmitters.

I'm not intested in a transceiver. I want it to work with a
boatanchor receiver like the .35 uv, 400 Hz, 1 kHz analog readout
Heathkit SB-303 or the Collins 75S-1 with a CW mechanical
filter and 1 kHz PTO.

Don't pass by the transceiver projects. Most of them don't really share
anything between the transmitter and receiver sides, so there is no reason
you can't just build the transmit section and leave the receive section.

The trick is QSK, built in TR switch, and receiver muting.

At these power levels, your QSK and TR switching can be done with a
single relay. You are not talking kilowatts here. Your key connects
to a multipole relay which disconnects the receiver and connects the
transmitter to the antenna, keys the transmitter, and supplies a muting
signal to the antenna. Any DP3T relay from the junkbox will work.

Seems that at least one of the QRP CW transmitter kits would include
QSK circuitry to TR and mute a receiver.

There is no circuitry needed. It's just a relay for God's sake.
--scott

Old December 15th 04, 07:14 PM
No Spam

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:43:51 UTC, (Scott Dorsey)
wrote:

No Spam No
wrote:
[...]

Well, I should explain a bit more. I've operated a Tentec Triton
IV and own a Signal/One CX7A. The Trition IV is good, the CX7A is
almost good enough. I'd like to have QSK not just automatic TR with
a relay clacking away.

I also have an ICOM IC-720A and it is too slow to be called QSK.

Seems that at least one of fun things of CW is QSK.

de ah6gi/4 I got a pointer to the 2004 handbook for an add on QSK
system.

Old December 16th 04, 06:27 AM
Edward Knobloch

You really don't need receiver muting for c.w. QSK,
just a receiver who's AGC can be turned off, or is very fast.

I ran QSK with a crummy Lafayette HE-80 receiver,
a B&W model 380 electronic TR switch, and a Heath Apache transmitter,
all sharing a dipole. No keying relays used at all.
If I zero-beated a station, I could just
monitor my sending with my own receiver. For split frequencies,
turn up the volume on the keying monitor.

The point of the electronic TR switch is that it acts as a preamp
for the receiver, until you transmit. Then, the tube in the TR switch
is cut off due to its high value grid leak resistor, which protects
the receiver's input stage. The signal is still loud, but if you
switch the AGC off, you can hear a breaking station between dits.

If your transmitter final is biased off during key up,
you won't hear the white noise in the receiver. If your transmitter
uses an AB1 or AB2 final for c.w., you may need
to increase the final stage bias a bit in c.w. mode,
to lower the quiescent plate current.

If white noise is still present, you can use a separate antenna
for the receiver/TR switch combination. Don't forget to use
a coax low pass filter between the electronic TR switch
and the antenna, or you will generate TV interference.

73,
Ed Knobloch