Old December 2nd 12, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Hallicrafters S-38D dial pointers wanted....

Hello all,

I have just acquired a extremely good condition S-38D that someone removed the original dial pointers and replaced them with ones made from an aluminum Coke can! The dial cords are original so I have no earthly idea what they were thinking! I you have a junker set and would like to part with pointers please email me. This radio is for my personal collection and not for sale.

Thanks,
Randy.
Old December 6th 12, 06:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Hi, Randy,

Take this for what its worth, Randy, but once upon a time, a long, long
time ago:

I was trying to polish up an S-38, it may have been a little earlier
version than the "D",
I could see quite clearly, that one of the red (I think) dial pointers
looked like it had a crack across its
length.Well, clumsy me, I teased the pointer a little with a toothpick and
the whole end of the
pointer fell off.

Upon closer examination, I could see that the metal from which the
pointer was made was very
thin aluminum, almost like foil. It had apparently been dipped in some kind
of red paint or goop,
and when the paint or goop dried and cracked, there was precious little
holding the pointer
together, so my probing finished it off.

Under close examination, it looked like the pointer was of pretty
flimsy aluminum foil, cut to
shape and creased once down its length before dipping it in the red
paint/goop.

Pop cans were steel in those days, so I'm not sure what the supply
source was for
Hallicrafter pointers. Mine ended up as (I changed them both) flat style
toothpicks,
dipped, yes, in red paint/goop.

That is my story, and I'm sticken' to it!

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ since 1948