Old April 8th 13, 07:25 PM
Junior Member

Location: Hurricane, WV
Default Help IDing this radio

So I Have what I think is a Heathkit 6 Meter lunchbox also known as a HW-29 / 29A but I cant seem to find any that look like the one I have Here is a front and back shot.
thanks
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Help IDing this radio-6-meter.jpg  Help IDing this radio-6-meter-back.jpg
Old April 8th 13, 08:24 PM
jta jta is offline
Member

Yup; it's either a HW-29 or HW-29A - heavily modified. The Heathkit logo was where the S-meter is now. Case has been repainted.

The plain 29 has four tubes, the 29A has five.

The schematic is available from www (dot) radiomuseum (dot) org, but I don't know if they have the manual (maybe try Bama).

Lots of folk modified those things. Somewhere you should find documentation for all the mods, but I can't help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinzey View Post
Old April 9th 13, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013, jta wrote:

Yup; it's either a HW-29 or HW-29A - heavily modified. The Heathkit logo
was where the S-meter is now. Case has been repainted.

The plain 29 has four tubes, the 29A has five.

The schematic is available from www (dot) radiomuseum (dot) org, but I
don't know if they have the manual (maybe try Bama).

Lots of folk modified those things. Somewhere you should find
documentation for all the mods, but I can't help with that.

I suspect there were so many that they wouldn't be all in one place, even
in this internet age. There also seemed to be multiple articles that
detailed the same idea, with variation.

There were endless mods, simple ones like adding a tuning meter. There
was one that converted the superregen receiver to a simple converter,
which then fed an external receiver. I'm sure there was a mod to put one
on 220MHz, though I have no idea which model it started with. There were
all kinds of schemes to improve the superregen receiver. I can almost
picture one that turned the receiver into a simple superhet right there in
the box, but I may be imagining things.

Of course, one difference between the 29 and the 29A is that one of them
uses overtone crystals, the other had an oscillator that ran at some lower
frequency, multiplying up.

Michael VE2BVW

clinzey;803537 Wrote:
So I Have what I think is a Heathkit 6 Meter lunchbox also known as a
HW-29 / 29A but I cant seem to find any that look like the one I have
Here is a front and back shot.
thanks
Chris

jta

Old April 9th 13, 01:40 PM
Junior Member

Location: Hurricane, WV

Guys thanks for the info
73's
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Black[_2_] View Post

clinzey;803537 Wrote:
So I Have what I think is a Heathkit 6 Meter lunchbox also known as a
HW-29 / 29A but I cant seem to find any that look like the one I have
Here is a front and back shot.
thanks
Chris

jta

please help IDing an antenna from a jpg of it. GEORGE BUSCH CB 24 March 10th 05 08:35 PM
please help IDing an antenna from a jpg of it. Buck Equipment 26 March 8th 05 10:34 AM
Need help IDing a cap KG4GGX Homebrew 5 November 4th 04 11:27 PM
Help IDing National Coil Set Dale Parfitt Boatanchors 1 June 3rd 04 01:54 PM
Help IDing this antenna base or brand please? Roger Halstead Antenna 0 November 5th 03 06:15 PM