Old April 11th 13, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Cleaning

I am cleaning an assortment of transmitters and receivers. Most have
wax residue in ventilation holes. I have tried using several cleaners
and soaps with a soft tooth brush and hot water. I can't find my old
style stiff pipe cleaners, only the new soft designer color ones. I
am going to try and find a store that stocks the old style ones.

Any suggestions on methods or products that will remove the wax
without damaging the paint???

I have done 1 and have 7 more to do, so easy is best!!!

Thanks

Dan N9JBF
Old April 11th 13, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

dan/danl wrote:
I am cleaning an assortment of transmitters and receivers. Most have
wax residue in ventilation holes. I have tried using several cleaners
and soaps with a soft tooth brush and hot water. I can't find my old
style stiff pipe cleaners, only the new soft designer color ones. I
am going to try and find a store that stocks the old style ones.

Any suggestions on methods or products that will remove the wax
without damaging the paint???

Ronsonol or naptha.

Goo Gone can work too, it is d-limonene mixed with naptha.
--scott
Old April 11th 13, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:22:43 -0400, dan/danl wrote:

I am cleaning an assortment of transmitters and receivers. Most have
wax residue in ventilation holes. I have tried using several cleaners
and soaps with a soft tooth brush and hot water. I can't find my old
style stiff pipe cleaners, only the new soft designer color ones. I am
going to try and find a store that stocks the old style ones.

Any suggestions on methods or products that will remove the wax without
damaging the paint???

I have done 1 and have 7 more to do, so easy is best!!!

Thanks

Dan N9JBF

If I were looking for real pipe cleaners, I would go to a smoke shop.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.
Old April 11th 13, 10:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 11 Apr 2013 19:25:27 GMT, Jim Mueller wrote:

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:22:43 -0400, dan/danl wrote:

I am cleaning an assortment of transmitters and receivers. Most have
wax residue in ventilation holes. I have tried using several cleaners
and soaps with a soft tooth brush and hot water. I can't find my old
style stiff pipe cleaners, only the new soft designer color ones. I am
going to try and find a store that stocks the old style ones.

Any suggestions on methods or products that will remove the wax without
damaging the paint???

I have done 1 and have 7 more to do, so easy is best!!!

Thanks

Dan N9JBF

If I were looking for real pipe cleaners, I would go to a smoke shop.

Yes, I know, I used to buy them at smoke shops back in the sixties.
Haven't found one around here.

Dan
Old April 12th 13, 04:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Not too long ago, I saw real pipe cleaners at a grocery -- Kroger, I
think -- on a corner display of assorted gimcracks.

You can also get tiny bottle brushes in the toothpaste aisle.

--
KC9TQX
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old April 12th 13, 05:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013, dan/danl wrote:

On 11 Apr 2013 19:25:27 GMT, Jim Mueller wrote:

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:22:43 -0400, dan/danl wrote:

I am cleaning an assortment of transmitters and receivers. Most have
wax residue in ventilation holes. I have tried using several cleaners
and soaps with a soft tooth brush and hot water. I can't find my old
style stiff pipe cleaners, only the new soft designer color ones. I am
going to try and find a store that stocks the old style ones.

Any suggestions on methods or products that will remove the wax without
damaging the paint???

I have done 1 and have 7 more to do, so easy is best!!!

Thanks

Dan N9JBF

If I were looking for real pipe cleaners, I would go to a smoke shop.

Yes, I know, I used to buy them at smoke shops back in the sixties.
Haven't found one around here.

Maybe hobby stores? Or craft stores?

The only thing I ever used pipe cleaners were for making things, so most
of the ones I ever saw were in different colors. Those had to come from a
hobby type store.

Of course, hobby stores are fading. There was a time when there were
three decent size hobby stores in the downtown area, now they are much
further flung. Craft stores seem to have made a bigger splash, some of
the same territory but not all of it. This "MIcheal's" craft chain has
moved in recently, that seems to be the trend.

Michael

Old April 12th 13, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 00:03:20 -0400, Michael Black
wrote:

[...]

Craft stores have the soft touchy feely pipe cleaners. LOL Pretty
much useless for cleaning anything.

My back is pretty sore from loading/unloading all the radios so I'm
not breaking any speed tecords for cleaning them.

Thanks

Dan
Old April 12th 13, 01:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 00:37:06 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Not too long ago, I saw real pipe cleaners at a grocery -- Kroger, I
think -- on a corner display of assorted gimcracks.

You can also get tiny bottle brushes in the toothpaste aisle.

I have not checked grocery stores yet...and the small brushes sounds
good too.

Thanks

Dan
Old April 12th 13, 01:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote:

Not too long ago, I saw real pipe cleaners at a grocery -- Kroger, I
think -- on a corner display of assorted gimcracks.

You can also get tiny bottle brushes in the toothpaste aisle.

BTW, checked out your sewing page...A treasure trove of useful
instructions for someone like me, I have not sewn in 45/50 years. Any
recommendations/tips on a used sewing machine to look for?

Dan

Cleaning out QEX magazines Joe from Kokomo[_2_] Homebrew 28 May 26th 11 08:55 PM
Cleaning out QEX magazines dave Homebrew 0 April 14th 11 04:05 PM
CLEANING MY RADIO Shortwave 6 March 12th 05 12:46 PM
Cleaning out old files Les Shortwave 0 February 25th 05 02:25 PM
Shack Cleaning JT Swap 0 December 20th 04 10:46 AM