Old July 17th 13, 08:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default DX-100 or Apache?

wrote:
To reply to the VE that replied to me I do not know if I am quoting or not.=
The Question that was posed last may was asking opinions on which would be=
the better choice of a 100 watt or so 6146 rig, not an offer to buy or sel=
l I was just offering my own experience es. Yes the thread is dated, but so=
is the equipment. So am I for that matter. The last time I posted to a new=
sgroup was in 1996 using a 386 and a 2400 baud hayes modem.not thru google =
& not thru the WWW. I appreciate any help and advice and I apologize,this =
is not the right place for Instruction. 73, JIM

I agree that the 6146 is a hell of a rugged and reliable output tube, but
I suggest that Google Groups is a wasteland ith a horrible user interface.

You might consider getting an old-style newsreader... it is MUCH more
pleasant than fighting with the Google UI and dealing with the Google spam.
--scott
Old August 3rd 13, 09:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I don't know if I am quoting or not but referring back to the Heath Apache (E.F. Johnson Valiant and Viking 500 also could use a SSB adapter) The Valiant had 3 6146'es The Apache had two like the Viking 2. I am trying to remember the difference tuning for class AB 2 I believe because on voice peaks I recall just barely drawing a couple ma of grid current, a resting plate current of maybe 60 ma. To tune for SSB you would unbalance the carrier null and peak the various stages including the driver stage in the adapter and try to get a little grid current on the finals. The Plate Had a shallower and broader dip than in Class C and when that was close you could peak all the other stages by max plate current although I think there was an rf out meter as well. The regular class C Am/cw tuning was 6 mils grid current and 120-150 Plate (actually plate and screen) no resting current in class C obviously. The 500 had a "tune " position I don't recall but the Apache may have also. JIM
Old August 22nd 13, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

The Apache by itself does not have SSB capability. For that, you also
need the SB-10 Sideband Adapter. I had both but sold them years ago.

John

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Brian Burns wrote:

I'm looking for an AM/CW rig in the 100 watt class, and may have a choice between a Heath DX-100 and a Heath Apache. In looking at the specs I could find on the two, the Apache looks like the better choice. What do you think?

Well, the Apache will send SSB, which is a good feature to have, whereas
the DX-100 won't. On the other hand, the DX-100 is much simpler, as a result.

But I would pick whichever of the two is factory-wired. If they were both
built as kits, I'd pick the one that has the best-looking solder joints.
--scott

--
Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
email address to prevent spam. Thank you.