Old January 17th 14, 02:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,uk.radio.amateur

Default Kenwood TS-130 Frequency warrble

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
On 14/01/14 09:58, coffelt2 wrote:
At first, I wasn't sure if it was an amplitude or frequency "warble".
Finally decided it was frequency. A little ragged, but affected both
receive and transmit.
Not much, only a few htz, but ragged and disconcerting after so many
years of faithful service................

since I considder myself a a repairman, what do I do next? 30 or 40
years of "freezemist" and " "heat gun" analysis, I still don't know my
way around this Kenwood TS-130. (my first transciever).

Replace all electrolytics and see what happens next?

HELP!

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ since 1948

Scott's suggestion is a good one but I'd also suggest you consider
checking that the PLL isn't simply on the limit of lock. It doesn't sound
like you've checked the radio over since new and, with the ageing of
components etc., it is quite possible things are not as they should be.

I've done a quick Google and there are copies of the Service Manual on the
internet and Kenwood manuals are pretty good. You should be able to make
the adjustments.

73
Brian
G8OSN/W8OSN

Thanks, everyone! I think looking at a PLL on the ragged edge of
falling out of lock is a red hot lead!
I've got a faded copy of the service manual gathering dust somewhere in
one
of these piles.
When someone mentioned PLL lock, it hit me right on the noggin.
I'd heard that ragged and irregular warble several times in the past,
when I did servicing, but that was many, many years ago... I'm sure that
will be the key. I'll report bank on this thread, but it might be a couple
of
weeks as the list of high priority "Honey Do's" is way behind schedule.
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks,

Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ since 1948