Old December 6th 13, 11:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

Default Toob Amplified PC Speakers

Jim Thompson wrote:

Old 8" hard-drives make good door stops ;-)

So do Liberal trolls. They can hold a 500 Lb door in place.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Old December 6th 13, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

Michael Black wrote:

I've seen people point to an issue of "CQ" in the late fifties (when Wayne
Greene was editor), a letter or snide remark after a letter. I've seen
the bit, I'm not sure if that is the first use or not.

But of course, back then, "boatanchor" I think tended to mean "useless" as
well as "heavy". You drag this really neat thing home from the hamfest,
only to discover it is completely useless on top of being heavy. So it
has no value other than as a boatanchor. SOmething like that.

Amd there was surplus like that. Really heavy items with cases that made
them twice as heavy, and not really useful for much even with
modifications.

And then a decade or so later, a lot of stuff became "useless" because
nobody wanted AM and nobody wanted tubes, and nobody wanted whatever. So
the stuff, heavy but not extremely heavy, became boatanchors when few
wanted them. And you could get the stuff so cheap. I remember in the
early seventies being able to get ahold of all kinds of "junk" because
nobody wanted them at the time.

More like the person who dragged it home, wasn't smart enough to make
it work.

It was only later that "boatanchor" became an affectionate term, when
"that old junk" became desirable by people nostalgic for the old days, or
for the stuff they couldn't afford when younger. And by then attrition
had cleared out some of the supply, suddenly making the old stuff more
valuable than it had been decades before when nobody wanted it and there
was lots of it.

Michael VE2BVW

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Old December 7th 13, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

Tim Wescott wrote:

It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy
(and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch.

Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel-
cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled
on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm
just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range
amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all
uses ancient technology to get the job done.

Suggestions welcome.

TIA

http://store.tubedepot.com/diy-k12g....FUdbfgodmHkAIw

Roll your own steampunk-style cabinet around this.

--
Paul Hovnanian
f u cn rd ths u r usng unx

Old July 23rd 14, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:58:56 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy
(and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch.

Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel-
cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled
on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm
just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range
amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all
uses ancient technology to get the job done.

Suggestions welcome.

Is toob a brand name? What sort of amps does toob make?

TIA

--
There is something outrageous about such a huge body of evidence being
put together, then being confirmed in all kinds of other scientific
Old July 24th 14, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy
(and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch.

Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel-
cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled
on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm
just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range
amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all
uses ancient technology to get the job done.

Suggestions welcome.

Is toob a brand name? What sort of amps does toob make?

Someone should start a retro amplifier company and call it "Toob".
Really. Someone who loves vacuum tube amps, but doesn't suffer much from
audiophoolery.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old July 24th 14, 05:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy
(and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch.

Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel-
cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled
on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm
just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range
amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all
uses ancient technology to get the job done.

Suggestions welcome.

Is toob a brand name? What sort of amps does toob make?

Someone should start a retro amplifier company and call it "Toob".
Really. Someone who loves vacuum tube amps, but doesn't suffer much from
audiophoolery.

Someone came out with a book a year or two ago, where he came up with some
different name for "tube", almost as if a new hip name would make tubes
trendy again.

Michael

Old July 24th 14, 08:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Vacuum-mode field effect transistor?

I had a prof that referred to them as "GlassFETs".

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Old July 24th 14, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

That's been done: non-thermal electron emitters, vacuum gap, plate. That should
be the ultimate high-voltage, superfast fet. The emitters (microtips, strange
diodes) don't seem to last.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Old July 24th 14, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Since you asked, I checked, and it was "Thermatrons".

This is a book published within the past five years and
written by someone named Grayson Evans.

Michael

Old July 24th 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Indirectly heated source field effect transistors.

I had a prof that referred to them as "GlassFETs".

Hmm. I thought glass was silicon.