Old December 2nd 13, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

Default Toob Amplified PC Speakers

In article ,
says...

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:58:56 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy
(and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch.

Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel-
cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled
on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm
just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range
amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all
uses ancient technology to get the job done.

Suggestions welcome.

TIA

Just for fun, you might do a single stage class-A stage using a 2A3. I
did one when I was a kid, but with 5 in parallel ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Better yet, a push-pull transformerless design!

I remember a quasie tube output, that was bad car ma.

It required a safety circuit on the output, not for users but for
equipment. The outfit could care less about the user safety!

This was a magnetic server that required a broad range of bw.
the tube outputs were a pair of 4-400Z. Had dual HV supply because you
needed the - rail for the bottom side. each heater had their own
transformer with CT to tie off to the common for pinch off biasing.

The top side had some strange method of driving the tube, but it worked

Jamie

Old December 2nd 13, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013, Tim Wescott wrote:

It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy
(and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch.

Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel-
cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled
on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm
just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range
amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all
uses ancient technology to get the job done.

Suggestions welcome.

How I hate the cross-posting.

PAIA used to sell a tube preamp, or you could have built it from the
article in Radio Electronics. I don't know if PAIA still sells it, but
the idea was to "give that tube sound", and apparently just a double
triode was good enough.

You're not going to find a tube amplifier cheap, the only ones interested
are the high end people. Even used tube amplifiers from days gone by
likely carry a premium.

Build a starved circuit amplifier.

Or, Popular Electronics once had a tube amplifier that was a cathode
output, though I think they used a transformer.

Find something old, and feed the signal into it. People are adding audio
input jacks to AA5 radios. I think that TMC GPR-90 I got last year for
$20 at a garage sale has audio input connections, it certainly has an IF
jack for an SSB converter and I think even audio output jacks, so surely
it has audio input jacks.

Michael VE2BVW

Old December 2nd 13, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 15:13:52 -0600, John S wrote:

On 12/2/2013 3:02 PM, John S wrote:
On 12/2/2013 12:58 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too
lazy (and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch.

Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel-
cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps
rolled on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that
crap: I'm just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of
a mid-range amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the
fact that it all uses ancient technology to get the job done.

Suggestions welcome.

TIA

Good for you! Nostalgia has its place in our hearts.

Can 12AX7s and such still be ordered?

I have an old 1964 GE Essential Characteristics of tubes data book. If
you promise to actually build your amplifier(s) and it will assist you,
I will send it to you free of charge.

John

Well, somehow my brain elided the fact that you don't want to scratch
build. So, my offer is probably worth nothing. Sorry.

'sokay, I appreciate the thought. I have tons of tubes and data, what I
lack is decent output transformers and the will to do yet another design
project.

I may go that route, particularly now that someone's suggested a kit and
I've taken a look at the price (!!!).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old December 2nd 13, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 15:54:52 -0500, bitrex wrote:

On 12/2/2013 1:58 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy
(and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch.

Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel-
cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps
rolled on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that
crap: I'm just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of
a mid-range amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact
that it all uses ancient technology to get the job done.

Suggestions welcome.

TIA

This kit has been around forever and seems to get good reviews:

http://store.tubedepot.com/diy-k12g.html?

vfsku=diy.k12g.2&gpla=pla&gclid=CJL-56C1krsCFWLNOgoduWkAIA

There's also this little kit from a Chinese seller on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hifi-stereo-...one-amplifier-

diy-kit-/230910167825?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

which has the output transformers on board - you'd need to supply a
power transformer.

You'd have to put them in a chassis if you wanted it, but since they're
both mounted on PCBs it shouldn't be too hard: buy an aluminum chassis
and punch holes for the tubes, mount the board underneath so the tubes
poke through and then mount the transformers underneath or on top as
your preference.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for, except that now that I
know what a fair price is, I may just buy new speakers .

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old December 3rd 13, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy
(and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch.

Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel-
cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled
on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm
just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range
amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all
uses ancient technology to get the job done.

Suggestions welcome.

TIA

Search for 'Zen Amp' there are some DIY pages out there.
Both Tube and Mosfet designs.

Cheers

Old December 3rd 13, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

In article ,
ly says...

[...]

I think I still have a box of prime used 4-400's around the shop packed
away if you'd like? I know I gave away a couple of them in the past, but
should still have at least 4 of them.
I also have some 3-500Z but you aint getting them!

I'll have to look to refresh my mind!

Jamie

Old December 3rd 13, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 19:25:53 -0500, Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. wrote:

In article ,
ly says...

[...]

4-400's would be good if I wanted amplified speakers fit for a stadium, I
suppose.

I have various old power tubes, including some VT-4's, if I want POWER
tubes. I was thinking more on the lines of a couple of 6V6 single-ended
stages.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old December 3rd 13, 03:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

If you want a respectable, easy to build, low power tube amp kit, look
at the Velleman kits. They are well-designed and have good output
transformers.

For the most part, when you buy a tube amp, you are buying transformers
and engineering. Everything else is of comparatively minimal cost and
effect.
--scott

Old December 3rd 13, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

I may still have circuits and/or designs of transformerless tube
speaker drivers that were purported to be perfectly safe to touch active
lines (do not ask which lines, do not remember).
And yes, the circuitry is weird on the push-pull drivers; there was
even a full bridge version.

Old December 3rd 13, 08:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,sci.electronics.design

On 02/12/2013 22:57, Michael Black wrote:
On Mon, 2 Dec 2013, Tim Wescott wrote:

It's winter, and the amplifier in my PC speakers just died.

I think it'd be kinda cool to have a toob speaker amp, but I'm too lazy
(and time-challenged) to build one up from scratch.

Are there, by any chance, kits out there? I'm not looking for nickel-
cored transformers with solid silver windings, genuine paper caps rolled
on the thighs of virgins, toobs dipped in LN2, and all that crap: I'm
just looking for something that'll give the audio quality of a mid-range
amplified speaker set, in a cabinet that shows off the fact that it all
uses ancient technology to get the job done.

Suggestions welcome.

How about using a modern semiconductor IC hidden inside the box and just
having a couple of ornamental toobs stuck out the top and glowing. A USB
port should just about power two filaments.

How I hate the cross-posting.

BTW is "boat anchor" the US term for tube based or old dead kit?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown