Old November 30th 14, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Model making?

One of my other hats besides amateur radio is model engineering, so I
wondered
if there had ever been a movement to make 1/4 size models of the old
boatanchors,
but hiding modern electronics deep inside?

Old November 30th 14, 06:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014, gareth wrote:

One of my other hats besides amateur radio is model engineering, so I
wondered
if there had ever been a movement to make 1/4 size models of the old
boatanchors,
but hiding modern electronics deep inside?

I don't know. But elsewhere, someone was showing pictures of his planned
workshop. He actually did make models to figure out how to place
everything, and that included little models (that looked very real) of old
radios and test equipment. These were doll house size, so not much place
for electronics inside. Come to think of it, someone did make a "doll
house" that represented a Zenith dealer's store decades back, apparently
the owner lived upstairs. So there were model radios.

Michael

Old November 30th 14, 11:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 13:01:00 -0500, Michael Black wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014, gareth wrote:

One of my other hats besides amateur radio is model engineering, so I
wondered if there had ever been a movement to make 1/4 size models of
the old boatanchors,
but hiding modern electronics deep inside?

I don't know. But elsewhere, someone was showing pictures of his
planned workshop. He actually did make models to figure out how to
place everything, and that included little models (that looked very
real) of old radios and test equipment. These were doll house size, so
not much place for electronics inside. Come to think of it, someone did
make a "doll house" that represented a Zenith dealer's store decades
back, apparently the owner lived upstairs. So there were model radios.

Michael

On one visit to the Mini Time Machine museum (http://
www.theminitimemachine.org/) there was a doll house with a 3 dial TRF
radio in it. Looking from the back side, there were tubes in the radio.
It was much smaller than 1/4 scale, of course.

On another visit, there was a doll house with a home theater room. It
had a miniature wall size TV that was actually operating.

At the AWA convention, one of the prize winners was a model of a radio
store, full of radios. You can see a picture he http://
http://www.antiquewireless.org/2014-...t-contest.html but you will have to
scroll through a lot of other pictures before you get to it.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.
Old December 2nd 14, 05:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014, Jim Mueller wrote:

[...]

Yes, that was the one I was thinking of when I mentioned a "Zenith
dealer". For some reason I thought it was specifically a Zenith
dealership.

Michael