Old July 15th 03, 10:51 PM
Opara Kvijji

Default Just bought Hallicrafters S-19R Sky Buddy !!

I just want to extend a thank you to all who offered their opinions, good
and bad, (mostly good) about this 64 or so year old radio. The BFO doesn't
seem to work very well, but I don't listen to very much slop bucket, so I'm
not too concerned. The audio is FANTASTIC!! It uses a Philco #41 in the
output stage and a new 5" speaker had already been installed. I really enjoy
listening to OTR (Old Time Radio) that I download from kazaa and have
already added an audio input jack to this radio so I can play stuff like
"The Shadow" and "Suspense" on it, right from my sound card. No, I didn't
drill any holes in the chassis for this mod!! I just tapped into the 6SQ7
tube via a .1uf cap and a 1meg resistor to ground. Then I tune the radio to
a quiet spot (it's dead quiet around 40-45 MHz) and flick the switch from
Receive to Standby. OTR really has to be played through glowing tubes to be
truly effective and appreciated. The reception on the shortwave end of
things seems to be as sensitive , if not more sensitive than my S-38C, but
far more selective, and it sounds much better. Also, I'm not as afraid to
touch the thing, like I am with a series set!

Old July 21st 03, 10:45 PM
Uncle Peter

"Opara Kvijji" wrote in message
.. .
I just want to extend a thank you to all who offered their opinions, good
and bad, (mostly good) about this 64 or so year old radio. The BFO doesn't
seem to work very well, but I don't listen to very much slop bucket, so

I'm
not too concerned. The audio is FANTASTIC!! It uses a Philco #41 in the
output stage and a new 5" speaker had already been installed. I really

enjoy
listening to OTR (Old Time Radio) that I download from kazaa and have
already added an audio input jack to this radio so I can play stuff like
"The Shadow" and "Suspense" on it, right from my sound card.

The best way is through a micro-power AM transmitter, so the radio
doing the work!

Pete

Old July 22nd 03, 03:10 PM
Troglodite

Greetings.

I restored an S19R a couple of years ago and wrote an article about it. It is
posted on the Hallicrafters Collectors International website at www.w9wze.org

Look in the "Restorations" section.

Fine radio for 1938. If you are going to keep it I would recommend replacing
the electrolytic and a all of the old wax capacitors. It will then keep playing
for another 65 years.

Doug Moore

Old July 23rd 03, 06:11 AM
dxlover

I just want to extend a thank you to all who offered their opinions, good
and bad, (mostly good) about this 64 or so year old radio. The BFO doesn't
seem to work very well, but I don't listen to very much slop bucket, so

I'm
not too concerned. The audio is FANTASTIC!! It uses a Philco #41 in the

***********rest snipped*****************

Have fun on your new toy, sounds like you already are.:-)

--
~*~*~Monitoring the Spectrum~*~*~
***GO BEARCATS***

Old July 26th 03, 02:34 AM
Opara Kvijji

The guy I bought it from already did a ton of work on it: He reconfigured it
so it now uses a common 5Y3 rectifier. I think the original was a type 80 or
81, not sure. He added a fuse to the AC line, changed 2 AF coupling
capacitors, replaced the standby switch, and replaced the speaker. Also new
is the power transformer and filter caps. He also (get this) rewound the
Broadcast Band antenna coil!! By hand!! This fellow is very meticulous, I
must say. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
"Troglodite" wrote in message
Greetings.

I restored an S19R a couple of years ago and wrote an article about it. It

is
posted on the Hallicrafters Collectors International website at

www.w9wze.org