RadioBanter

-   -   Why don't Real Hams you face the facts? (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/2913-re-why-dont-real-hams-you-face-facts.html)

Bob Rinaldi July 15th 03 11:56 PM

Why don't Real Hams you face the facts?

too bad spelling hasn't

--
--------

All outgoing mail and files scanned by Nortons.

www.w1cny.com/w1cny-1
"citizensband" wrote in message
All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB,

unless
you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never be able

build a rig that even comes close to what's available off the shelf

these
days. Most people can't even be bothered, have no interest or don't

have the
time to build rigs anymore. Boatanchors should be used for exactly

that,
anchoring boats!

Time to stop whinging, and face the facts...Real Technology has

overtaken
you all!

tox

citizensband July 16th 03 12:01 AM

"Bob Rinaldi" wrote in message
et...
too bad spelling hasn't

--
--------

Or in your case, top-posting!

HTH
tox

Trolls suck July 16th 03 12:17 AM

Trolls suck. Ignore them.

SO in that light....

Is radio a great hobby? I sure think so. How about you?

TS

Phil Witt July 16th 03 12:22 AM

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:44:44 +0100, "citizensband"
wrote:

Time to stop whinging, and face the facts...Real Technology has overtaken
you all!

You poor troll. Don't you have anything to sell or auction? And, on
the chance that you really are a CBer, did we not make it simple
enough for you to get a ham license. The requirements are so minimal
now that a two year old could get a ticket. You ought to try it.

Opara Kvijji July 16th 03 12:52 AM

Yes, I agree!! Furthermore, I think, IMHO, that that is what this newsgroup
should continue to be about---the exchange of valuable information and the
education of those less versed but definitely interested ones (people like
me) in the ways of the firebottle. People who are intelligent enough to be
interested in 50 year old (or more), 50 lb. (or more) pieces of radio
equipment usually are intelligent enough to refrain from senseless flaming.
Those with more neanderthal sloping foreheads are the ones who seem to knock
what we do. There's ideas to be shared, and tips to be learned in keeping
these fine old pieces of gear WORKING!!

Is radio a great hobby? I sure think so. How about you?

Scott Dorsey July 16th 03 01:46 AM

citizensband wrote:
All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB, unless
you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never be able to
build a rig that even comes close to what's available off the shelf these
days. Most people can't even be bothered, have no interest or don't have the
time to build rigs anymore. Boatanchors should be used for exactly that,
anchoring boats!

Actually, the neat thing is that current technology makes homebrewing
more fun than ever! I can now build one hell of a nice receiver using
DSP technology and doing most of the IF processing in the digital domain,
using off the shelf stuff. And I can get performance that beats anything
on the shelf right now.

What I want right now, though, is a PLL on a chip that will take a simple
BCD or binary encoded frequency, and produce an unmodulated carrier. I
would be surprised if someone hasn't built something like that already
using one of those Sanyo mask-programmed microprocessors with the PLL on
the chip like a lot of CBs use today. Doesn't have to be a PLL, it could
be DDS too, but I want a single chip synthesizer that will tune 160 through
10 meters continuously and I'd like to avoid the microprocessor interface.

Time to stop whinging, and face the facts...Real Technology has overtaken
you all!

Whinging? I'm not winging, I'm having a great time! Real technology
makes this a great time to be a ham.
--scott

Scott Dorsey July 16th 03 03:44 AM

Opara Kvijji wrote:
I must say, that sounds very impressive, although I really do doubt that he
understood all that......or is that the intent?

I dunno, if one person understands it and happens to have a source for PLLs,
I'll be happy.

It's true, though, that I can go to the trash bins down the street, and pick
up VCRs with wideband electronics that will carry from DC to 4 MHz, TV sets
with great digital tuner stages, really slick sweep amplifier stages that
can put out decent power across the whole HF band, and all kinds of nifty
stuff. People complain about technology today making homebrewing impossible,
but frankly I would have given my eyeteeth for this sort of salvage when
I was a kid.
--scott

Jim Hampton July 16th 03 03:55 AM

Thanks for the tip, Carl. Geeze, Analog Devices. I should have remembered.
It has been quite a few years since I worked in Materials Engineering and
actually had a feel for the current state of the art. Heck, I was only off
by a factor of 10 on that clock rate! 10 percent is one thing, but by a
decade! :) LOL. Be grateful I didn't suggest wiring a bunch of 12AU7s
together in flip flops. Hmmm ... where'd I put that core memory anyways?
BTW, those 400 MHz devices are 10 cents per dozen, right? :)

I will check out the site, however; again, thanks for the tip.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA aka "trailing edge technology" :)

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

Some of the newer DDS devices (check Analog Devices' website) are clocking
at up to 400MHz (maybe more by now, as I haven't looked in a few months).

Some provide quadrature outputs.

Some provide on-chip phase modulation and/or FSK.

There are also techniques using harmonic aliases that will allow a
relatively low
frequency DDS to effectively produce a higher frequency signal ...

Lots of interesting stuff in the data sheets and app notes.

73,
Carl - wk3c

---

Whinging Courier July 16th 03 08:14 AM

In uk.radio.amateur, warren weber said:

What's wrong with top posting? This way you don't need to read the garbage.

Buy a wheel mouse.

citizensband July 16th 03 08:33 AM

"Ged" wrote in message
In message ,
citizensband writes
All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB,

unless
you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never be able to
build a rig that even comes close to what's available off the shelf these
days. Most people can't even be bothered, have no interest or don't have

the
time to build rigs anymore. Boatanchors should be used for exactly that,
anchoring boats!

Time to stop whinging, and face the facts...Real Technology has overtaken
you all!

tox

Spoken like a true brain-dead CB-er.
--
Ged

Spoken like a brain-dead 'alleged' Ham, who thinks radio revolves around a
soldering iron...it doesn't anymore. Things are changing, look what has
happened to the Morse assessment! Even the RSGB have had the good sense to
move into the twenty first century!

HTH
tox

Airy R Bean July 16th 03 08:52 AM

Even with a wheel mouse, you don't need to read the garbage.

However, a wheel mouse would seem to be the answer for those
who make the silly fuss - the arrogant bottom-posters - would it not?

Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI July 16th 03 09:07 AM

http://tinyurl.com/h2yf

citizensband July 16th 03 11:44 AM

"Airy R Bean" SPAM@trap wrote in message
Even with a wheel mouse, you don't need to read the garbage.

However, a wheel mouse would seem to be the answer for those
who make the silly fuss - the arrogant bottom-posters - would it not?

The vast majority of Real Hams, stick to the protocol of bottom posting.
There are those, of course, who are incapable...such as yourself!

If you require some assistance on how to post correctly, do let me know.

HTH
tox

R. Scott July 16th 03 02:25 PM

.:\:/:.
+-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
+-------------------+ / \
| | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
| | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
@x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
\||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
\||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Carl R. Stevenson July 16th 03 02:47 PM

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
Thanks for the tip, Carl. Geeze, Analog Devices. I should have

remembered.
It has been quite a few years since I worked in Materials Engineering and
actually had a feel for the current state of the art. Heck, I was only

off
by a factor of 10 on that clock rate! 10 percent is one thing, but by a
decade! :) LOL. Be grateful I didn't suggest wiring a bunch of 12AU7s
together in flip flops. Hmmm ... where'd I put that core memory anyways?
BTW, those 400 MHz devices are 10 cents per dozen, right? :)

IIRC, they are not $1.95, but they are not hundreds of dollars, either ...
seems to me that the range is generally from about 5 - 50 bucks, depending
on device, quantity, etc.

I will check out the site, however; again, thanks for the tip.

ur wlcm es 73,
Carl - wk3c

zpk_12wpm July 16th 03 07:59 PM

wrote:

Time to stop whinging, and face the facts...Real Technology has overtaken
you all!

oh ?

i thought it was about the person behind the mic (key / camera )
and that persons permission to self-train in the art of
communications.

never did i think that AMATEUR RADIO was about technology.

zpk_12wpm July 16th 03 08:05 PM

On 16 Jul 2003 18:53:15 GMT, Leigh wrote:

.....and a true example of home-built radio was heard on 80m CW a week or
so ago - a Russian with homemade equipment that rasped CW more than broke
the carrier and was a wide signal.

Sort of knocks the 'build your own' case for Gareth into a cocked hat - not
easy to work or even work out who or where he was.

thats the classic eastern european sound of homemade gear.

that and the tone that starts high and goes low as the dah dah dah
is sent.

dont worry, you get used to it.

Scott Dorsey July 16th 03 08:32 PM

Jim Hampton wrote:
Thanks for the tip, Carl. Geeze, Analog Devices. I should have remembered.
It has been quite a few years since I worked in Materials Engineering and
actually had a feel for the current state of the art. Heck, I was only off
by a factor of 10 on that clock rate! 10 percent is one thing, but by a
decade! :) LOL. Be grateful I didn't suggest wiring a bunch of 12AU7s
together in flip flops. Hmmm ... where'd I put that core memory anyways?
BTW, those 400 MHz devices are 10 cents per dozen, right? :)

All of the AD synthesizers I have seen have a microprocessor interface,
where they basically memory-map into a processor. I'd rather have something
I can directly address.

I could probably pull out a 68HC11 to control the thing if I absolutely had
to, but I'd rather have something I can just latch a BCD input into.
--scott

Andy in Fink July 16th 03 08:42 PM

Some of us have ALWAYS built our own equipment. That's why
some of us became "hams" --- so we could test it out.....

Alas, most today are appliance operators. I can't, personally, see any
thrill at all in spending 2K for a rig designed and built by strangers, and
spending a month reading the manual learning how to use it...

Still, there's room in the hobby for all of us.

And, in fact, there's a whole lot of us that have more degrees and
licenses than can fit on a good sized wall.

Enjoy whatever facet of it you choose....

Andy W4OAH

Carl R. Stevenson July 16th 03 09:39 PM

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Jim Hampton wrote:
[...]

Modern DDS devices would require too many pins on the device for
cheap packages unless they used some sort of serial communications
or a modest pin count multiplexed bus.

I doubt that you will find anything useful with a straight binary or BCD
input because the devices need too many bits loaded into them to set
up all of the internal functions/registers.

Carl - wkc3

Gary July 16th 03 11:27 PM

thats the classic eastern european sound of homemade gear.

that and the tone that starts high and goes low as the dah dah dah
is sent.

dont worry, you get used to it.

We thought it was the sound of your head deflating after the Atlantic crossing.

Scott Dorsey July 16th 03 11:38 PM

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
--scott

Modern DDS devices would require too many pins on the device for
cheap packages unless they used some sort of serial communications
or a modest pin count multiplexed bus.

I doubt that you will find anything useful with a straight binary or BCD
input because the devices need too many bits loaded into them to set
up all of the internal functions/registers.

Right. I am looking for something that might best be implemented as
an ASIC somewhere, in that it would be a special-purpose sine wave
synthesizer rather than a general purpose DDS device.
--scott

July 17th 03 02:31 AM

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:53:15 UTC, Leigh
wrote:

"citizensband" wrote in
:

All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB,
unless you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never
be able to build a rig that even comes close to what's available off
the shelf these days.

What? I've never heard that. Folks should know how their radios
work, that's why the FCC exam includes "theory". There's never been
a requirement to bring in a Home Brew transceiver as part of the
exam.

.....and a true example of home-built radio was heard on 80m CW a week or
so ago - a Russian with homemade equipment that rasped CW more than broke
the carrier and was a wide signal.

Sort of knocks the 'build your own' case for Gareth into a cocked hat - not
easy to work or even work out who or where he was.

Leigh.....

I've been licensed for 35 years and I've only met one person who
built an SSB transceiver from scratch. I know lots of folk who
have the expertise to repair them and many have built kits.

de ah6gi/4

Kim W5TIT July 17th 03 04:06 AM

"JJ" wrote in message
Why don't you go back to yelling
"aaaaaaaauuuuuuuudddddddddiiiiiiiooooooo" into your power mic on
channel 19.

Hardeehar!! Hey, we used to have a 10M sched every night, and we used to
hear one of the local Extra class hams doing just that on 10M!!!

Kim W5TIT

Jim Hampton July 17th 03 05:23 AM

Sheesh! 1 GHz with a 10 bit binary counter. Only $350.00 each in quantities
of 1000. Someone care to loan me over 1/3 of a million? Seriously,
however, there are affordable AMD devices but they appear to be in the 50
MHz to under 200 MHz range.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Dick Carroll July 17th 03 06:09 AM

Leigh wrote:

"citizensband" wrote in
:

All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB,
unless you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never
be able to build a rig that even comes close to what's available off
the shelf these days.

.....and a true example of home-built radio was heard on 80m CW a week or
so ago - a Russian with homemade equipment that rasped CW more than broke
the carrier and was a wide signal.

Sort of knocks the 'build your own' case for Gareth into a cocked hat - not
easy to work or even work out who or where he was.

Leigh.....

You were probably hearing a keyed parasitic oscillation.

Dick Carroll July 17th 03 06:10 AM

zpk_12wpm wrote:.

that and the tone that starts high and goes low as the dah dah dah
is sent.

That one usually comes from Cuba

Airy R Bean July 17th 03 08:25 AM

ISTR that the programming interface for PLL chips is the three wire serial
form, with a static clock. you _COULD_ drive it with
three switches, but you'd have to at least debounce them -
RS flip-flop from NAND ususally being the simplest way.

Might be interesting to derive a driving circuit from
el-bug principles!

Scott Dorsey July 17th 03 03:31 PM

Jim Hampton wrote:
Sheesh! 1 GHz with a 10 bit binary counter. Only $350.00 each in quantities
of 1000. Someone care to loan me over 1/3 of a million? Seriously,
however, there are affordable AMD devices but they appear to be in the 50
MHz to under 200 MHz range.

I could do that. Generate a 50-80 Mhz sine wave, then put it into a mixer
with a 50 Hz crystal oscillator and turn it into a DC-30 Mhz signal. I
think I could even get a brickwall high pass at 30 MHz so the whole thing
would be broadband with no tuning.

Of course, you'd lose some stability in the process from those extra
stages, but probably not enough to be a big issue.

Oh, and for 10M FM, of course, I could modulate the local oscillator.
--scott

Scott Dorsey July 17th 03 03:33 PM

In article , Dick Carroll wrote:

Leigh wrote:

"citizensband" wrote in
:

All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB,
unless you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never
be able to build a rig that even comes close to what's available off
the shelf these days.

.....and a true example of home-built radio was heard on 80m CW a week or
so ago - a Russian with homemade equipment that rasped CW more than broke
the carrier and was a wide signal.

Sort of knocks the 'build your own' case for Gareth into a cocked hat - not
easy to work or even work out who or where he was.

You were probably hearing a keyed parasitic oscillation.

Yup. I am sorry to report that my first homebrew rig did the same thing
too.

Some of the eastern european folks I know are still rockbound, and some of
them are cutting their own crystals. This is a recipe for parasitics, or
at least it was when I tried doing it in high school.
--scott

zpk_12wpm July 17th 03 11:43 PM

On 16 Jul 2003 15:27:41 -0700, (Gary) wrote:

thats the classic eastern european sound of homemade gear.

that and the tone that starts high and goes low as the dah dah dah
is sent.

dont worry, you get used to it.

We thought it was the sound of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx after the Atlantic crossing.

i do believe that i have ''a convoy''

meg, dipstick and now garry

how quaint.

all i need now is an amstrad 902.

10-4!

Airy R Bean July 18th 03 10:19 AM

Too many eggs in the diet?

jOn........ July 18th 03 11:12 AM

"Airy R Bean" SPAM@trap wrote in message ...
Too many eggs in the diet?

On 17 Jul 2003 10:33:21 (Scott Dorsey) wrote:-
Some of the eastern european folks I know are still rockbound,

No, that would be egg bound.
--
Jon

David Norris July 18th 03 02:23 PM

"citizensband" wrote in message
All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB,

unless
you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never be able to
build a rig that even comes close to what's available off the shelf these
days. Most people can't even be bothered, have no interest or don't have

the
time to build rigs anymore. Boatanchors should be used for exactly that,
anchoring boats!

Time to stop whinging, and face the facts...Real Technology has overtaken
you all!

tox

In all honesty, unless go in for VERY low power ( 1Watt), the problem is
that you are going to have real problems ensuring that you don't generate
unacceptable levels of spurious emissions. To properly test things to the
standard required nowadays, with today's high density of electronic
equipment in any residential area, you will need test equipment costing much
more than a brand new 'off the shelf' set.
But it is certainly possible to design your own passive circuits, for
instance filters and traps, without this risk being involved.
If you are interested in DX, then a commercially designed receiver is going
to be much more sensitive and selective, of course. This is due to the fact
that a multinational company has the development resources that an
individual could only dream of.
Obviously, you do gain a lot of respect for designing your own circuits, and
you will attract a lot of interest by doing so! So I don't think that 'home
brew' will ever die out in it's entirety! DN

--Bill-- July 19th 03 02:44 AM

Kim W5TIT wrote:

hear one of the local Extra class hams doing just that on 10M!!!

Kim W5TIT

Sacrilege!! ;)

--
GO# 40

Yeah. I didn't post this as a joke, either. This guy really used to do it.
And, one of the reasons I can't stand HF operation (other than the biggest
reason being the hiss) is that when we Tech+'s used to get on and do all the
"is this freq in use", etc....all the good operating practices we'd been
told were going to be *absolutes* on ham radio--nearly every time there'd be
some General or higher licensee who'd get on over us and start calling
CQ...or would go just off our freq and begin.

Yep, there were good ones...just as there are good Novices, Techs, and
Tech+'s. But, the bad ones ruin it for everyone.

Kim W5TIT

Well, I don't want to bash 10m as a band but it does seem to attract
some abberant behaviour, and a bit more worldwide than the same that
occurs on 75m and a few selected spots on 20.
Much of the bad behaviour is by CBers faking callsigns - or recent
CB'ers that have become Extras whilst still trying to kick the habit of
being obnoxious.
A shame really, but you are correct in your observations that the bad
ones ruin it for everyone, and if not ruined, it gives everyone else
something to whine about resulting in the appearance that everything is
ruined.
The streets are full of people who **** themselves and fart liberally.
They don't magically disappear when you tune the amateur bands. Thats
what all those tuning knobs are for.

-Bill

[email protected] July 19th 03 02:46 AM

--Bill-- wrote:
Kim W5TIT wrote:

[...]

I'm sure you have some sort of data to back that claim, or no?

--
GO# 40

--Bill-- July 19th 03 04:57 AM

wrote:
--Bill-- wrote:

Well, I don't want to bash 10m as a band but it does seem to attract
some abberant behaviour, and a bit more worldwide than the same that
occurs on 75m and a few selected spots on 20.
Much of the bad behaviour is by CBers faking callsigns - or recent
CB'ers that have become Extras whilst still trying to kick the habit of
being obnoxious.

I'm sure you have some sort of data to back that claim, or no?

No, it would be a stoopid effort to collect such data just to defend the
basic argument against morons.
-Bill