Old July 15th 03, 11:56 PM
Bob Rinaldi

Default Why don't Real Hams you face the facts?

too bad spelling hasn't

--
--------

All outgoing mail and files scanned by Nortons.

www.w1cny.com/w1cny-1
"citizensband" wrote in message
All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB,

unless
you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never be able

build a rig that even comes close to what's available off the shelf

these
days. Most people can't even be bothered, have no interest or don't

have the
time to build rigs anymore. Boatanchors should be used for exactly

that,
anchoring boats!

Time to stop whinging, and face the facts...Real Technology has

overtaken
you all!

tox

Old July 16th 03, 12:01 AM
citizensband

"Bob Rinaldi" wrote in message
et...
too bad spelling hasn't

--
--------

Or in your case, top-posting!

HTH
tox

Old July 16th 03, 12:17 AM
Trolls suck

Trolls suck. Ignore them.

SO in that light....

Is radio a great hobby? I sure think so. How about you?

TS

Old July 16th 03, 12:22 AM
Phil Witt

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:44:44 +0100, "citizensband"
wrote:

Time to stop whinging, and face the facts...Real Technology has overtaken
you all!

You poor troll. Don't you have anything to sell or auction? And, on
the chance that you really are a CBer, did we not make it simple
enough for you to get a ham license. The requirements are so minimal
now that a two year old could get a ticket. You ought to try it.
Old July 16th 03, 12:52 AM
Opara Kvijji

Yes, I agree!! Furthermore, I think, IMHO, that that is what this newsgroup
should continue to be about---the exchange of valuable information and the
education of those less versed but definitely interested ones (people like
me) in the ways of the firebottle. People who are intelligent enough to be
interested in 50 year old (or more), 50 lb. (or more) pieces of radio
equipment usually are intelligent enough to refrain from senseless flaming.
Those with more neanderthal sloping foreheads are the ones who seem to knock
what we do. There's ideas to be shared, and tips to be learned in keeping
these fine old pieces of gear WORKING!!

Is radio a great hobby? I sure think so. How about you?

Old July 16th 03, 01:46 AM
Scott Dorsey

citizensband wrote:
All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB, unless
you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never be able to
build a rig that even comes close to what's available off the shelf these
days. Most people can't even be bothered, have no interest or don't have the
time to build rigs anymore. Boatanchors should be used for exactly that,
anchoring boats!

Actually, the neat thing is that current technology makes homebrewing
more fun than ever! I can now build one hell of a nice receiver using
DSP technology and doing most of the IF processing in the digital domain,
using off the shelf stuff. And I can get performance that beats anything
on the shelf right now.

What I want right now, though, is a PLL on a chip that will take a simple
BCD or binary encoded frequency, and produce an unmodulated carrier. I
would be surprised if someone hasn't built something like that already
using one of those Sanyo mask-programmed microprocessors with the PLL on
the chip like a lot of CBs use today. Doesn't have to be a PLL, it could
be DDS too, but I want a single chip synthesizer that will tune 160 through
10 meters continuously and I'd like to avoid the microprocessor interface.

Time to stop whinging, and face the facts...Real Technology has overtaken
you all!

Whinging? I'm not winging, I'm having a great time! Real technology
makes this a great time to be a ham.
--scott
Old July 16th 03, 01:59 AM
Opara Kvijji

I must say, that sounds very impressive, although I really do doubt that he
understood all that......or is that the intent?

Old July 16th 03, 03:44 AM
Scott Dorsey

Opara Kvijji wrote:
I must say, that sounds very impressive, although I really do doubt that he
understood all that......or is that the intent?

I dunno, if one person understands it and happens to have a source for PLLs,
I'll be happy.

It's true, though, that I can go to the trash bins down the street, and pick
up VCRs with wideband electronics that will carry from DC to 4 MHz, TV sets
with great digital tuner stages, really slick sweep amplifier stages that
can put out decent power across the whole HF band, and all kinds of nifty
stuff. People complain about technology today making homebrewing impossible,
but frankly I would have given my eyeteeth for this sort of salvage when
I was a kid.
--scott

Old July 16th 03, 03:55 AM
Jim Hampton

Thanks for the tip, Carl. Geeze, Analog Devices. I should have remembered.
It has been quite a few years since I worked in Materials Engineering and
actually had a feel for the current state of the art. Heck, I was only off
by a factor of 10 on that clock rate! 10 percent is one thing, but by a
decade! LOL. Be grateful I didn't suggest wiring a bunch of 12AU7s
together in flip flops. Hmmm ... where'd I put that core memory anyways?
BTW, those 400 MHz devices are 10 cents per dozen, right?

I will check out the site, however; again, thanks for the tip.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA aka "trailing edge technology"

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message
news

Some of the newer DDS devices (check Analog Devices' website) are clocking
at up to 400MHz (maybe more by now, as I haven't looked in a few months).

Some provide quadrature outputs.

Some provide on-chip phase modulation and/or FSK.

There are also techniques using harmonic aliases that will allow a
relatively low
frequency DDS to effectively produce a higher frequency signal ...

Lots of interesting stuff in the data sheets and app notes.

73,
Carl - wk3c

---

Old July 16th 03, 08:14 AM
Whinging Courier

In uk.radio.amateur, warren weber said:

What's wrong with top posting? This way you don't need to read the garbage.

Buy a wheel mouse.