Old July 19th 03, 06:43 PM
Brian Hill

Default F.S. or Trade Hallicrafters SX-23 & SX-9

Hi all. Im looking for a Icom R-71A or Kenwood R-5000 so Im letting these go
to fund it or make a trade. These are both real nice radios in working
condition. S.H. from 55992 in Zumbrota, MN

The SX-9. Made in 1935-36. Is as close to perfect cosmeticly as you would
hope to find. Restored front panel. The cabinet is the original wrinkle
finish that has been cleaned and clear coated. Receives on all bands except
Band 5 20mhz on up is very weak. A little tweaking may bring it alive. It
needs the 6F5 tube for the 1st Audio. Somebody put a 6K7 in? This should
improve the performance of the set. I don't have one in stock or I would
have replaced it. The AVC circuit seems funny. Havent had time to check into
it. May need a new tube? All caps have been replaced. The radio is as nice
as they get. Just needs a tuneup and minor work. $300 firm. + S.H.

http://home.jps.net/~jonnysocko/sx9b.jpg
http://home.jps.net/~jonnysocko/sx9c.jpg
http://home.jps.net/~jonnysocko/sx9d.jpg
http://home.jps.net/~jonnysocko/sx9e.jpg
http://home.jps.net/~jonnysocko/sx9f.jpg
http://home.jps.net/~jonnysocko/sx9g.jpg

The SX-23. Made in 1939. Is very nice cosmeticly and works very well. Great
cabinet and original lettering. It has some scratches that are not very
noticable. I restored the finish and repainted the dial. It is a real
beautiful radio. It was modified at one point in its life by the evidence of
two extra tube socket holes. I had to rewire the power supply and audio
section. It has a replacement filter choke as seen in the pics. I used a
differant audio output transformer. The original was gone Easily replaced if
you want to go back to the original 500/5000ohm out. It could use an h logo
cover on the power trans to spiff it up. I replaced all the caps and the
hard to get at ones in the RF deck and several resistors. I installed new
dial string on the main dial,band indicator and A.N.L. switch. It needs a
meter that swings in the opposite direction. The one in it is all I had. It
works. Just a left shoe on a right foot. The radio will probably need an
alinement but its very sensitive and WWV was right on 10mhz. It will need
the band change and selectivity knob( Like on an SX-28). The ones on it are
Hallis but there not right.The earphone jack will need to be wired into the
circuit. Its all there I just got lazy. By the way its a very nice sounding
radio. It will need the original 455khz Xtal filter that plugs in the
socket. I have the main dial plastic for it but its warped. Its the same as
the S-20R or SX-25 etc.. Real easy to duplicate. i paid $200 for the radio
and did a lot of work on it so I was hoping to get at least $265 +S.H. to
cover the parts and work Ive done.

http://home.jps.net/~jonnysocko/2312.jpg
http://home.jps.net/~jonnysocko/2313.jpg
http://home.jps.net/~jonnysocko/2316.jpg