Old August 3rd 03, 02:15 PM
N2EY

In article , "heavywater"
writes:

It may be a vintage set, but anyone who'd pay
$5000 for a 50 YO radio, let alone $2000 should
be put into a rubber room IMHO - grin ; )

You think $5000 for an SX-88 is bad, look at this.

'Bout two years ago an unbuilt Heath AT-1 kit showed up on eBay. Still in the
unopened original box, dated 1956, amking it one of the last ones made.

The AT- was Heath's first attempt a t a ham transmitter. 6AG7-6L6, with 5U4G
rectifier and link output. Final ran as a doubler on most bands and the
efficiency was awful - typically less than 10 watts out for 35 watts in. $29.95
50 years ago.

Final price of the auction: $5100. That's not a typo - five thousand one
hundred dollars.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 3rd 03, 06:32 PM
K9SQG

This is basically the free enterprise system and whatever the market will bear
is what sets the price. What I don't comprehend is another situation. As an
example, last year, I was following the bidding on an Icom IC-2100H. I stopped
watching when the bidding got to $275 so I don't know how high it got. This
was the price for a used radio without warranty at the same time it was
available new, with warranty, at AES and elsewhere for $199. So if somebody is
obviously online, a few key clicks searching for the radio would have saved the
buyer over $75. Strange...
Old August 4th 03, 02:13 AM
Spinach Inquisition

On 31 Jul 2003 12:15:03 GMT, No Spam (ckh) wrote:

It
was priced way up there when new, I'm guessing over $500 and that's
when a new car was about $1500 and a coke was a nickel. Figure you
pay over $15,000 for car and 50› for that coke, that radio should be
$5,000.

It's almost there!
Must be at least two desperate buyers out there!

CUL8R
Spinach Inquisition
Old August 9th 03, 08:58 PM
donut

"Dave Ragsdale" wrote in
:

It happens on ePay
That is why the e-mail lists are the best places to trade.
The free online classifieds are not bad too.

I've done hundreds of transactions on ebay, dozens on the newsgroups,
the only place I've been ripped off (twice) is on the newsgroups. No
feedback, no bidder history, no registered user information, you are
truly taking a huge risk doing a deal on the newsgroup or online list.
I'm not willing to lose money that easily.

This same SX-88 has been resold at least twice by crooks who have hijacked
others accounts. Ebay isn't safe, either. Caveat emptor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 73

Go to the bottom of the page and see where the real account owner posted a
comment. The pictures were stolen from a radio collector's website.

Old August 10th 03, 02:26 AM
William Warren

"donut" wrote in message
"Dave Ragsdale" wrote in
:

It happens on ePay
That is why the e-mail lists are the best places to trade.
The free online classifieds are not bad too.

I've done hundreds of transactions on ebay, dozens on the newsgroups,
the only place I've been ripped off (twice) is on the newsgroups. No
feedback, no bidder history, no registered user information, you are
truly taking a huge risk doing a deal on the newsgroup or online list.
I'm not willing to lose money that easily.

This same SX-88 has been resold at least twice by crooks who have hijacked
others accounts. Ebay isn't safe, either. Caveat emptor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 73

Go to the bottom of the page and see where the real account owner posted a
comment. The pictures were stolen from a radio collector's website.

I'm thick, so help me out: why would anyone, crook or not, bother to list
under someone else's name?

Bill

Old August 10th 03, 06:55 AM
Robert Hawk

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:26:51 GMT, "William Warren"
wrote:

"donut" wrote in message
"Dave Ragsdale" wrote in
:

[...]

Maybe to show ebay that in their arrogance they are just as
susceptable to having peoples personal information stolen
from them as they are In selling that personal information to
a turd party which they have done.. IT will Happen AGAIN..

Personally I think It's a F***ing RIOT..

Just My Opinion

Bob

Old August 11th 03, 11:07 PM
C.L.

Haven't been screwed at a Hamfest/flea market as yet...As to E-Bay, bought
an Service Monitor and it wasn't as described. No lid came with it as was
advertised. The seller (In Illinois) wrote me an e-mail acknowledging it and
offered to pay me the difference plus some money for my troubles since he
also delayed shipment by about a week and a half. That was 3 months or so
ago. I have yet to see the cash. That was my only BAD deal on E-Bay.
However, I have had "ex" friends try to screw me. They would make deals to
buy stuff, want to pay later. I'd was dumb enough to let them do it. Three
months later and a few excuses, they paid me off in full after I bitched at
them and threatened to take them before a magistrate. Personally, given my
experiences, I love dealing with people most anywhere anytime - on Ebay and
News Groups as well as hamfests, flea markets and out of my shop. The seller
in this instance and topic has to be on his toes though, as there are people
waiting to take you. Still, I'd not put down the majority for the minority.
AND just because they are "HAMS" doesn't mean a damned thing. I HATE THAT
BEING USED AS A RATING. Hams are NOT given lie detector tests, psychological
exams nor a criminal background check when they apply for a license. There
are a LOT of innocent and HONEST hams out there, me among them. IF you got
screwed by some one with an "amateur" license, then count them in the
minority along with all the other ass holes of society. I see you're a ham
too, so one may say to you then, well, you're also a ham does that make you
as bad as the rest? I bet your answer is NO. You're painting with a broad
brush and covering yourself as well. This is a whole different society, a
man's word doesn't mean as much anymore with a growing number. Some day,
this country will be worse than the old west, real or fictional. C.L.

"Keith Poindexter" wrote in message
I have been buying/selling on EBay since 1999. Never lost anything.
Have been screwed on newsgroup 5 times in same period. Always
by a Ham . Also been screwed at Hamfest. Go figure ?
73 Keith

"donut" wrote in message
"Dave Ragsdale" wrote in
:

Old August 12th 03, 10:01 PM
Ronald Oberloh

Same here. Ron

Keith Poindexter wrote:

I have been buying/selling on EBay since 1999. Never lost anything.
Have been screwed on newsgroup 5 times in same period. Always
by a Ham . Also been screwed at Hamfest. Go figure ?
73 Keith

"donut" wrote in message

"Dave Ragsdale" wrote in
: