Old July 31st 03, 09:00 AM
pete

Default Halli SX-88 now $3600 on ebay

just how rare is this?
Pete
KQ5I
Old July 31st 03, 01:10 PM
Robert Hawk

Very Rare. Got my ticket in 1957 and as all young hams tried to
memorize all the spechs on ALL the radio's and I have never seen
this model before. It looks to be commercial with the rack mount.
the add says the SX-88 is a 20 tube radio. Looking in my WRL
catalog for 1956 the SX-100 was a 15 tube radio. They have a
SX-62A with slide rule dial, the most expensive hallicrafters receiver
in the book at $349.00. It may be a re-engineered SX-100 but I
suspect it was a special model considered too expensive for Hams.

Can you read the writeing under the left frequency display?

The two frequency tuneing knobs, or a close simalarity were used
on the SX-101 about 1958 to 1961.

It is Rare, But not that rare for my money.. G

Bob

On 31 Jul 2003 08:00:37 GMT, "pete" wrote:

just how rare is this?
Pete
KQ5I

Old July 31st 03, 01:15 PM

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:00:37 UTC, "pete"

just how rare is this?
Pete
KQ5I

Rare but also the top Hallicrafter's receiver from the era. It
was priced way up there when new, I'm guessing over $500 and that's
when a new car was about $1500 and a coke was a nickel. Figure you
pay over $15,000 for car and 50› for that coke, that radio should be
$5,000.

I've never used one or seen one even. But then I've never used an
R390, 51S1, SX-115, NC-303 either.

de ah6gi/4

Old July 31st 03, 01:39 PM
Dale Parfitt

pete wrote:

just how rare is this?
Pete
KQ5I

Highest price I have seen paid was $10,000 on EBay last year. I have one
I am currently restoring- I fail to see the fascination with this radio.
New they sold for $595.

Dale W4OP

Old July 31st 03, 02:44 PM
Leigh W3NLB

On 31 Jul 2003 08:00:37 GMT, "pete" wrote:

just how rare is this?
Pete
KQ5I

Very rare indeed.

The page at http://antiqueradio.org/halli09.htm says only about sixty
are known to exist. It was produced for only two years, 1954 and
1955, priced at $595!!!

73 de Leigh W3NLB

Old July 31st 03, 03:22 PM
Alfred Carlson

pete wrote:

just how rare is this?
Pete
KQ5I

A. More money than sense. More sense than money??
B. To have what no one else has.
C. To complete a life long want.
D. To have the best receiver ever made. (don't think so but....)
E. Better than buying lottery tickets.

Care to add more?? de Fred.

Old July 31st 03, 03:56 PM
Elmer E Ing

F. Hey it is my money, I'll spend it like I want
G. What part of free enterprise is it that you don't understand?
H. Money is no object (with some folks)
I. Desirability is in the eye of the beholder
J. You really don't want price fixing -- do you?
K. Auctions are a great American tradition, get over it.

Old July 31st 03, 05:08 PM
Dbowey

It may be a re-engineered SX-100 ....

No similarity of design at all. I owned a SX-100 new.

The SX-88 appearance and some of the design ideas put it close to the HT-32B
transmitter in date and quality.

Don
Old July 31st 03, 06:04 PM
Clay Nicolsen

The SX-88 is the holy grail of Hallicrafters communications receivers. It
is the rarest, and most desirable to collectors, and there are a great many
enthusiastic collectors of Hallicrafters radios. While it is absolutely not
in the same class, performance-wise, as an R-390a, it is a very fine 20 tube
double conversion receiver. And, there were what...30,000+ R-390a's made?
As was mentioned in a previous reply, it is extremely scarce. I have read
that only 60 were (if memory serves) sold. $595 was a boatload of money in
1954, and this radio was only available for two years. There were
approximately 1,000 Hammarlund Pro-310's sold, and one of those in good
condition will fetch near $2,000. I have seen a junk 88 parts radio bring
over $1,000. I will be very, very surprised indeed if this one doesn't go
well north of $5,000.

Clay

"pete" wrote in message

just how rare is this?
Pete
KQ5I

Old July 31st 03, 06:45 PM
Frank Dresser

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

Highest price I have seen paid was $10,000 on EBay last year. I have one
I am currently restoring- I fail to see the fascination with this radio.
New they sold for $595.

Dale W4OP

I suppose advertising has much to do with the fascination. The SX 88 was
featured prominently in most of the Hallicrafters advertising at the time,
back when thousands of kids couldn't even afford the S-38. I think the 88
was the Allied cover radio and probably other catalogs. Now, I suppose a
few dozen of those kids can now afford not only several S-38s, but the dream
radio, too.

Frank Dresser