Old August 6th 03, 11:06 PM
Theo

Default Tobacco film removal

Hi,

I am in the process of cleaning and restoring an old
KW Vanguard transmitter which by the colour of
it, says it belonged once to a very heavy smoker.
I tried all the usual methods to remove the brown
tobacco film, it was so stubborn, it resisted everything
from washing up liquid to isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).
I then tried household ammonia - fantastic!
It removed all the brown stains in seconds.
One word of warning though - I would recommend doing
it outdoors, the ammonia stinks to high heaven!

Theo

Old August 7th 03, 05:05 AM
Dave Stadt

"Theo" wrote in message
Hi,

I am in the process of cleaning and restoring an old
KW Vanguard transmitter which by the colour of
it, says it belonged once to a very heavy smoker.
I tried all the usual methods to remove the brown
tobacco film, it was so stubborn, it resisted everything
from washing up liquid to isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).
I then tried household ammonia - fantastic!
It removed all the brown stains in seconds.
One word of warning though - I would recommend doing
it outdoors, the ammonia stinks to high heaven!

Theo

Ammonia will deterioate plastic in short order. Suggest a much milder
cleaning agent and that you remove all ammonia residue. Even the fumes from
residue will make a mess of some plastics. Mild soap and water will remove
the tobacco stains.

Old August 7th 03, 09:15 AM
Ralf Ballis (DL2MRB)

One's did the same with a transceiver. I removed all buttons include front
layers/panel. Then I potting it for one day in an ordinary soup of water
and laundry soap. After that it's easily to wipe off this rubbish.

Regards

Ralf
--
Vy 73 es 55 de Ralf, DL2MRB
E-Mail:
Old August 7th 03, 01:55 PM
Bob P

Simple Green...it removes tobacco goo like magic.
I typically squirt it on, let set a minute or so, swirl around with a paint
brush then generous amounts of water ala garden hose.
Leave out in the hot sun a couple of hours .
One caveat with the hose though, don't get water up into power transformer
windings! Learned the hard way.

73, Bob
kb8tl