Old August 24th 03, 07:10 AM
Bobby

Hello all,

I'm only 22 years old and interested in anything electronic. Computers,
HiFi, home theatre, antique radios, and ham radio. I am planning on
getting a license, but I thought that code was needed for a technicians
class. I thought wrong, but still plan on learning it. It is interesting
to me, kinda like be interested in a new language. Also, never know when
it may come in handy. Maybe ID4("Independence Day", the movie) has
predicted some future use for it. Just kidding, but anymore, who knows?
There may be life out there, somewhere.

Anyways, to get back on track, I have a reprint of the Radio Handbook,
23rd Edition, by the late Bill Orr W6SAI. There is a schematic for a
simple code practice oscillator that I am going to build. Sure there are
some that can be bought, but how fun is that. I enjoy getting in there
and dealing with all of the hardware. I do my own car repairs, and it is
a 1998 Chrysler Sebring. Electronics galore in that monster. One of
these days, hopefully sooner than later, I may just be conversing with
one of the hams who regular this NG. Cheaper than a long distance phone
call, at least if you don't consider the cost of the equipment.

Gotta go,

Bobby

Robert Casey wrote:
David Stinson wrote:

Let us welcome the new additions to our ranks:

Like you were born knowing everything.

Old August 24th 03, 12:32 PM
C.L.

"scharkalvin" wrote in message
BFoelsch wrote:
As a ham radio operator for 40+ years, I agree, but I note that progress

has
been made.
Today, not only is Morse code obsolete, but ham radio itself is

obsolete!

I suppose that for many the internet has replaced ham radio. (I guess
that makes
hackers the equal of CB'ers, except that the hackers have a MUCH higher

IQ!)

I hope that many hams will continue to take some pride in their skill with
morse code and continue to use it. In a true emergency, cw will get

through
when nothing else will work. You can build a CW transmitter with the
barest pile of junk salvaged from an old radio or TV set. (well maybe not
a MODERN radio or tv set.....). There is even the story of using a GDO as
an emergency CW transmitter. Let's see you try that on SSB, AM, or some
of the new digital modes!

I finally got my extra class ticket after the code requirement went down
to 5wpm
(I had an advanced class licence, so that makes me a 13wpm extra). The
written
test was hard enough, I had to bone up on college level engineering
stuff. Being
a computer EE I never had to mess with smith charts before. The
technical test
will serve as enough of a barier to keep the riffraff out!

Give em enough time, the whiners will cry to have that simplified too. This
nation is dumbing down, and they wonder why! C.L.

Old August 24th 03, 12:52 PM
Larry W4CSC

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:22:00 -0400, scharkalvin
wrote:

an emergency CW transmitter. Let's see you try that on SSB, AM, or some
of the new digital modes!

I'll horserace you on CW from my PSK31 station any time you like. The
computer copies PSK31 perfectly RIGHT INTO THE NOISE so far you can't
hear the station its typing perfectly......

The CW is better myth is history.....

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.
Old August 24th 03, 01:01 PM
Larry W4CSC

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 06:10:15 GMT, Bobby
wrote:

Hello all,

I'm only 22 years old and interested in anything electronic. Computers,
HiFi, home theatre, antique radios, and ham radio. I am planning on
getting a license, but I thought that code was needed for a technicians
class. I thought wrong, but still plan on learning it. It is interesting

Way to go, Bobby! Why'd you wait so long? Got my ham license in
1957. I was 11...(c; You are the future of ham radio, its only hope.
Thanks for keeping my favorite hobby alive!

I've helped hundreds of young people get their licenses over the
years. My record was a boy who was 7 when he got his Novice license
and just stole my $20 bet when he was 10 that he couldn't get his
20wpm code and Extra license before he became a teenager. Sure glad I
lost that bet...(c;

ARRL old fogeys will just have to LIVE WITH IT!

Our ham club used to sit in 2 camps....the old farts like me and the
new hams like you. I stood up in a meeting in the middle of a heated
argument and said, "It's time us old farts learned to lay back and
relax and let the new hams run the train's throttle.....and run with
it." The club's been a lot more fun since that happened. They set up
the Field Day and us old farts just go out and play with the new
toys....(c;

73, and welcome to ham radio! It's been a helluva great ride for
me....
Larry W4CharlestonSC
on HF SSB today from Her Majesty's sailing vessel "Claire's Navie" on
its new Icom M802 later on this afternoon.....workin' DX on 20M I
hope...

Old August 24th 03, 01:51 PM
Dave Edwards

Waaa Waaaa!
I'm way too smart, and way too busy to learn an antique communication mode.
I already have the question pool, so why not cut to the chase and just give
me my
license...10-4??

Old August 24th 03, 02:33 PM
BFoelsch

I used to subscribe to that theory, but no more. There was a time when CW
was the best mode for weak signal work, but as of my last experience (1990
or so) AMTOR had it beat hands down. I hear that AMTOR has since been
replaced with yet more efficient digital modes. Too, the stuff about being
able to put together a CW transmitter is kind of pointless; to wit, what
kind of emergency would find you with nothing except a GDO and power to run
it? It is much more likely today that one would have some kind of rig and
access to a charged car battery.

I fully understand the emotion and the heritage of the argument, but if you
strip out the emotion and the heritage stuff, cw doesn't really have much of
a leg to stand on.

Oh, there will be the odd story about tapping out SOS on one's brake lights,
but aside from that.............................................. ..

Old August 24th 03, 04:24 PM
SQL Servant

I used to subscribe to that theory, but no more. There was a time when CW
was the best mode for weak signal work, but as of my last experience (1990
or so) AMTOR had it beat hands down. I hear that AMTOR has since been
replaced with yet more efficient digital modes.

Sure, if you hoard a few kHz of your bandwidth for your
mode, you're certain to have better data transfer integrity.
The U.S. military has some real bandwidth hogging modes
they use. You're comparing apples-n-oranges to compare
CW to even AMTOR. You should realize that! Are you
trying to support your feeble point of view through deliberate
misrepresentation or are you really this ignorant of radio
emission and spectrum occupation? If it's the latter, I hope
you're no longer licensed or on the air.

Old August 24th 03, 04:43 PM
Bill Janssen

Bobby wrote:

[...]

Welcome to the hobby. I am 75 years and been a ham since about 1958 ( I
think)
I have built my own transmitters but never built a serious receiver. (good
ones were
to easy to buy). I have an advanced class licence but have used code only
when
needed. My last CW contact was two weeks ago when the signal on 10,368.200
GHz
was too week to be side band quality. I had to work at that CW contact but I
made it.
That 10 GHz transverter was made from surplus commercial parts with a couple
of
home made interface boards.

Ham radio can be interesting, fun and educational. And yes, CW can be
useful.

Bill K7NOM

Old August 24th 03, 04:43 PM
scharkalvin

wrote:

an emergency CW transmitter. Let's see you try that on SSB, AM, or some
of the new digital modes!

I'll horserace you on CW from my PSK31 station any time you like. The
computer copies PSK31 perfectly RIGHT INTO THE NOISE so far you can't
hear the station its typing perfectly......

The CW is better myth is history.....

I've heard some very good things about PSK31, and I'd like to try it. I
need
to build myself an interface for my computer sound card to my rig.

But good as it is, PSK31 still requires a computer and more rig than a
simple CW setup. CW works it's magic using that gray lump between your
ears and the simplest of transmitting and receiving electronics. You'll
never
get PSK31 to work with a one tube rig and no computer.

Old August 24th 03, 05:07 PM
Dwaine Garden

Fred Nachbaur wrote:

David Stinson wrote:

Let us welcome the new additions to our ranks:

Too little, too late. Ham radio is dead already, after decades of
elitism and insistence on a long-obsolete and inefficient digital
communications protocol. Add the propensity to reduce the hobby to "My
store-bought rig is bigger than your store-bought rig" and the demise of
a once noble endeavor is complete.

The spirit of real amateur radio *does* live on, however. There are
still individuals and groups interested in experimentation,
home-brewing, equality and public service. It's called "Pirate Radio".

Cheers,
Fred

I'm studying for my HAM licence right now. It would of help during the
North America power outage.

It was really nice to see a ton of people operating handhelds during the
power outage without a licence.

Dwaine.

Transmission Lines & Electrical Code gibberdill Antenna 7 November 7th 04 03:58 PM
Morse code teacher Jimmie Antenna 13 September 10th 04 12:17 AM
N.E.C Grounding Code for Arials Jeffrae Antenna 1 March 17th 04 06:24 PM
FA Microcraft Code Reader Dave Edwards Boatanchors 0 August 3rd 03 06:30 PM
ATTN: Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st N2EY Boatanchors 0 July 27th 03 05:22 PM