Old August 25th 03, 12:53 AM
Larry W4CSC

Way to go, Bill! I used to work for a military microwave contractor.
Some of the engineers were hams, so when they had finally gotten the
168Ghz Gunn oscillators running, we just couldn't help ourselves
making new ham frequency record contacts using the manufacturing
plant's sheet metal roof as a passive repeater. You know how small
10Ghz is....Imagine 168 Ghz, broadband FM.....

Not many on that band, though....(c; We were full duplex, about 800
Mhz split. Great split for low desense! First IF was 146 Mhz. Used
my 2M HT for receiver....

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.
Old August 25th 03, 01:27 AM
Robert Casey

I'm 29 and study. I'm still wondering what the exams will look like.
In Canada, there are really tough, for what people told me.

Take a look over at:
http://www.qrz.com/ham/index.html
practice exams there.

Old August 25th 03, 02:38 AM
Ghost Chip

"Robert Casey" wrote in message
Ghost Chip wrote:

As an electrical engineer who has tinkered with electronics for 40 years,

never found time to practice & learn code. It was obsolete even back

then.
If they drop the code requirement, I'll get a ham license and talk as

well
as listen.
Zoram

The "Technician" license does not require code, and will let you use all
ham bands
50MHz and higher. You just need to take a fairly simple written test.

See:

http://www.w5yi.org/vol-exam.htm to find a test site, and
http://www.qrz.com/ham/index.html for practice exams

You're correct. I have been able to fly through the practice exams for
years but never wanted to learn the telegraph code.

Old August 25th 03, 02:39 AM
Ghost Chip

"john stewart" wrote in message

David Stinson wrote:

Let us welcome the new additions to our ranks:

I'm so old I remember when there were quite a few who could
build their own rig!! From scratch!! Cheers, JLS

I built one when I was 14 but talked illegally on it.

Old August 25th 03, 02:47 AM
Ghost Chip

Hey, that looks like the Weller Gun I've had for 35 years!
Careful before they outlaw them.

Old August 25th 03, 03:45 AM
G.Beat

"Ghost Chip" wrote in message
Hey, that looks like the Weller Gun I've had for 35 years!
Careful before they outlaw them.

At least Carl Weller saw his first prototype Weller soldering gun go to the
Smithsonian before he died. Did you know that the prototype was fashioned
from wood?

GB

Old August 25th 03, 03:59 AM

Let us welcome the new additions to our ranks:
I'm so old I remember when there were quite a few who could
build their own rig!! From scratch!! Cheers, JLS

I built one when I was 14 but talked illegally on it.

My wife (a non-ham then) never could understand why I built a one-tube
xmtr and a one-tube rcvr (both powered by a one-tube power supply), made
one contact (CW, of course), and then tore the rig apart.

But it was fun, and I needed those parts for the next project.

--Myron, W0PBV.
--
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
PhD EE (retired). "Barbershop" tenor. CDL(PTX). W0PBV. (785) 539-4448
Old August 25th 03, 05:10 PM
SQL Servant

....and what does this masturbatory comment have to do with mode bandwidth?

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
Wow! You'd probably faint if you saw the moon bounce rig I used to
have! I ran 1500W PEP into 33dB of stacked beams over 3 megawatts
ERP!

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:24:37 GMT, "SQL Servant"
wrote:

I used to subscribe to that theory, but no more. There was a time when

CW
was the best mode for weak signal work, but as of my last experience

(1990
or so) AMTOR had it beat hands down. I hear that AMTOR has since been
replaced with yet more efficient digital modes.

Sure, if you hoard a few kHz of your bandwidth for your
mode, you're certain to have better data transfer integrity.
The U.S. military has some real bandwidth hogging modes
they use. You're comparing apples-n-oranges to compare
CW to even AMTOR. You should realize that! Are you
trying to support your feeble point of view through deliberate
misrepresentation or are you really this ignorant of radio
emission and spectrum occupation? If it's the latter, I hope
you're no longer licensed or on the air.

Old August 25th 03, 05:30 PM
Jeffrey D Angus

SQL Servant wrote:
....and what does this masturbatory comment have to do with mode bandwidth?

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message

Wow! You'd probably faint if you saw the moon bounce rig I used to
have! I ran 1500W PEP into 33dB of stacked beams over 3 megawatts
ERP!

Isn't it obvious? Lacking a real answer, a little razzle dazzle and
we should just fall in line.

Jeff

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Tara Morice as Fran, from the movie "Strictly Ballroom"

Old August 25th 03, 06:37 PM
Phil

Dwaine,

The Canadian amateur exams are probably not as difficult as you may
think. The Radio Amateurs of Canada have an excellent book available
to help you to study for the Basic exam (you can buy one at any
Hamfest, or from the RAC directly at www.rac.ca.) The RAC site can
also help you find an examiner in your area when you're ready to give
the test a try. The Basic exam consists of 100 questions covering
basic electronic theory, radio and antenna theory, radio regulations,
etc. - a pass mark is 60%.

Industry Canada, those happy folks who issue Amaueur licences up here
, have test test generator software that you can download at:

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/inter...f05378e.htmlOn

These questions are presented in the same format that you will see on
your exam. The generator software will put together 100
randomly-selected questions, let you know if your answer was correct
as you answer each question (and indicate the correct answer if you
selected a wrong answer), and score your exam as you go.

You can do it - Go for it!

Phil

Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:20:26 GMT, Dwaine Garden
wrote:

Bobby wrote:
Hello all,

I'm only 22 years old and interested in anything electronic. Computers,

I'm 29 and study. I'm still wondering what the exams will look like.
In Canada, there are really tough, for what people told me.

Dwaine.

Transmission Lines & Electrical Code gibberdill Antenna 7 November 7th 04 03:58 PM
Morse code teacher Jimmie Antenna 13 September 10th 04 12:17 AM
N.E.C Grounding Code for Arials Jeffrae Antenna 1 March 17th 04 06:24 PM
FA Microcraft Code Reader Dave Edwards Boatanchors 0 August 3rd 03 06:30 PM
ATTN: Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st N2EY Boatanchors 0 July 27th 03 05:22 PM