Old August 29th 03, 01:55 AM
kenneth scharf

Larry W4CSC wrote:
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:43:34 -0400, scharkalvin
wrote:

I've heard some very good things about PSK31, and I'd like to try it. I
need
to build myself an interface for my computer sound card to my rig.

Geez, I wish the board builders would stop selling these boards. You
don't need ANY extra equipment to get on PSK31. The radio stays on
USB so you can copy many stations SIMULTANEOUSLY on slightly different
frequencies inside the SSB-width "channel", like 14.070. Plug the
headphone output of the modern HF rig into the LINE IN on the
computer's sound card.

Now, plug the audio output, preferably LINE OUT if your sound card has
it, into the radio's LINE IN if it has one. If not, connect audio
output on the sound card to a 500 ohm thumbwheel pot or whatever you
have handy. Connect the wiper arm to the mic input jack and tweak
around with the pot setting to get the best power level with the MIC
LEVEL on the radio set about 1/2 way open. This keeps the soundcard
from overdriving the rig's sensitive mic input amp.

TURN ON THE VOX! You don't NEED any kind of "switching computer" to
run it! The VOX hears the tone on the mic jack and KEYS THE
TRANSMITTER AS LONG AS THE TONE IS THERE! Who needs an "interface"??
When you switch to receive, the VOX drops. Set the VOX DELAY to ZERO
during PSK31 and it's perfect! The tone controls the
transmitter....(c;

There, I just saved you $50....I like dark English ale....thanks!

Which software are you using on PSK31? Anything good available for Linux?
(Billy ain't setting foot in my hamshack!).

Old August 29th 03, 02:33 AM
Dan/W4NTI

wrote:

[...]

Very true Ken....however you must be real real careful not to overdrive. It
causes severe distortion of the signal and splatter.

I do it all with a resistor and a capacitor. Then adjust the mic level and
run the MP at about 50 watts. Been doing it for 5 years. Not a problem.

Dan/W4NTI

Transmission Lines & Electrical Code gibberdill Antenna 7 November 7th 04 03:58 PM
Morse code teacher Jimmie Antenna 13 September 10th 04 12:17 AM
N.E.C Grounding Code for Arials Jeffrae Antenna 1 March 17th 04 06:24 PM
FA Microcraft Code Reader Dave Edwards Boatanchors 0 August 3rd 03 06:30 PM
ATTN: Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st N2EY Boatanchors 0 July 27th 03 05:22 PM