Old September 13th 03, 10:45 PM

Default Any older low-drive-power linear amps?

I'm planning on getting a Yaesu FT-817 in the next few months, and am
looking for an amplifier that I can use for base station use to kick
it up to a reasonable output (100-200 watts).

Are there any older linear amplifiers that can be driven to a
reasonable output with 5 watts of drive out of the 817?

I'm looking for something that was built and sold before the FCC
decided to punish the innocent instead of the guilty with their
kill-a-fly-with-a-sledgehammer prohibition on low-drive linears and
10-meter band capability.

Thanks...

Rick WA1RKT

Old September 19th 03, 04:27 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:08:13 GMT, Doug wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:45:22 -0400, wrote:

I'm planning on getting a Yaesu FT-817 in the next few months, and am
looking for an amplifier that I can use for base station use to kick
it up to a reasonable output (100-200 watts).

Wellll...This is the "boat anchor" newsgroup so if you really want to
give that thing some vitamins with muscle...Hunt for a EF Johnson Amp.
There is the Thunderbolt and one other. One ran a pair of 4-400s
Either would be loafing along at a couple hundred watts .

Are there any older linear amplifiers that can be driven to a
reasonable output with 5 watts of drive out of the 817?

Guess it depends on what you call reasonable. :-))

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

I'm looking for something that was built and sold before the FCC
decided to punish the innocent instead of the guilty with their
kill-a-fly-with-a-sledgehammer prohibition on low-drive linears and
10-meter band capability.

Thanks...

Rick WA1RKT

About the only amp that would nearly meet your specs, that I know of,
was the Ten-Tec amp sold for the Argonaut.
I think it was the model 405. It runs about 50watts output for 5 watts
input. They periodically show up on eBay, etc.

Doug