Old September 24th 03, 11:27 PM
Henry Kolesnik

I'm getting over a 1000 per day and my ISP won't do anything about them
becasue they won't block Microsoft. I'mm on a dialup with catalog.com and
I'm ready to switch to a new ISP but I wish I didn't have to becasue I've
had this email address since 1995. I've got Outlook Express trying to
control and Norton strips the 106kb attachment but my email is now pretty
much like molasses in January and worthless. Any suggestions on a good ISP
with customer service and one that you don't get put on hold for nearly an
hour ever time and then the help is pretty much worhtless.
tnx
hank wd5jfr
"David Stinson" wrote in message
The SWEN Worm is possibly the nastiest email worm in history,
so I don't mind getting chewed-out for posting about it.

PLEASE run the Symentec fix at:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/FixSwen.exe

You are perfectly safe to do so, and you will help out your friends.

Thanks,
Dave S.

Old September 24th 03, 11:41 PM
--exray--

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
I'm getting over a 1000 per day and my ISP won't do anything about them
becasue they won't block Microsoft.

What do you mean by "block Microsoft"? That doesn't make any sense
because the junk email has nothing to do with Microsoft other that the
clown who started this mess put that in the message.

Any suggestions on a good ISP
with customer service and one that you don't get put on hold for nearly an
hour ever time and then the help is pretty much worhtless.

Oh, now you are really dreaming !!!

:-)

-Bill

Old September 24th 03, 11:42 PM
Scott Schrader

well, if you lived in the twin cities, MN, it would be visi.com. they
use postini as the virus and spam trapper. postini, however, has one
trait that stinks... no "delete all" button. with over 12,000 trapped
virii now in their bugpile, there is no freakin' way I'm going to go
deleting them 12 at a time. they kind of need to either learn to live
with full disk farms, or put a "delete all" button up.

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

[...]

-- If it's a "new economy," why do they want my obsolete old money?

Old September 24th 03, 11:49 PM
--exray--

Henry Kolesnik wrote:

Any suggestions on a good ISP

On a more positive note than my last comment you can check to see which
ISPs in your area provide the ability to establish your own filtering at
the server so that if this ever happens again, and I'm sure it will,
then you can stop it (and other garbage) at the server based on your own
criteria.
Just check the website homepages of the ISPs operating in your locale
and if they have such a feature surely they will tout it. More and more
are going in this direction.
As far as customer service, one of the ISPs I use has a fully automated
management system to add email accounts, change passwords, etc. There's
really no reason to ever have to call them.

-Bill M

Old September 25th 03, 02:22 AM
Tim Mullen

In David Stinson writes:

wrote:
However, it does not stop Bill Gates
from writing crappy programs.

In fairness, I think his software is a target because of who he is
and the envy of him, not the quality of the writing. Any computer
code open to networking can be "cracked" into; they do it to
his because he's the biggest target.

Uh-huh. And there's no difference between wax capacitors and
mica's -- you wind up replacing the former more often 'cuz there's
more of them.

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.

Old September 25th 03, 04:06 AM
--exray--

So, I get a lot of short spam mails with attachments, delete them un-opened and
unread, and the big downloads never happen. Of course, those attachments had
to move over hte Internet and get stored in AOL's disk farm -- butnot on MY
nickel.
73, Mike K.

Thats still not much fun if you were to be getting 200 per hour like
some guys are reporting and STILL have to manually delete them.
Not to be tooting anybody's horn but I just got a 'newsletter' from
Mailwasher saying that they can now accomodate AOL email with their
latest edition.
Hopefully this whole exercise will be an impetus for the backwards/cheap
ISPs to get some state-of-the-art filtering in place as well as
user-enabled filters.
Although the savvy users may go elsewhere I suspect that there's a lot
of 'sheeple' who will stick with their crappy ISP in spite of the
annoyance simply because they don't know it can be better. I'm kinda of
in a tossup trying to decide whether or not this is the responsibility
of the ISP or the end user but in a massive case like this one i'd have
to put the onus on the ISP to NOT pass this crap on to their users.
Thats irresponsible and bad business and is basically what causes the
whole worm to continue regenerating.

-Bill