Old September 23rd 03, 07:14 PM
M Wilson

Default CW Only, Tube Transceiver

Hello,

Can someone suggest a CW only, all tube tranceiver for me? Nothing
QRP, more like between 20 and 100 watts, no transmitter/receiver
separate boxes, and no SSB transmitting capability. I want glowing
tubes and CW, in one box (power supply, of course, on the side).

Thanks!

MW
Old September 23rd 03, 08:36 PM
K5DH

MW,

You just described the venerable Heathkit HW-16! Here are
the basic characteristics:
- All tube-type (OK, it has one transistor, but only one!)
- covers 250 KHz of bandspread on 80, 40, and 15 meters
- CW only
- VFO receive
- crystal transmit (can also use HG-10B external VFO)
- built-in 115 VAC p/s
- full break-in keying with sidetone
- single-signal receiver
- power output is about 65 Watts on 80, 50 Watts on 40,
and 35 Watts on 15
These can be bought in working condition for about $75 give
or take a few, and the VFO goes for $50 to $75. Crystals are
getting "spendy" these days ($10 to $20 each these days). I
would spend the extra money and buy the VFO. For about $150,
you'll have a lot of fun! Oh, you will need a speaker, too.
Any 8-Ohm communications speaker will do fine.

I just picked up an HW-16 with HG-10B at a swap meet this past
weekend. I got 'em running last night, although I still need
to perform alignment on the VFO and give it a light cleaning.
No, they're not for sale... been wanting a set for myself for
a while now!

73,
Dean K5DH

In article ,
says...

Old September 23rd 03, 10:29 PM
--exray--

K5DH wrote:

I just picked up an HW-16 with HG-10B at a swap meet this past
weekend. I got 'em running last night, although I still need
to perform alignment on the VFO and give it a light cleaning.
No, they're not for sale... been wanting a set for myself for
a while now!

73,
Dean K5DH

And its worth the $15-20 bux to plunk down for a new xtal and move 15 to
20 meters. Easy mod, works great.

-Bill

Old September 23rd 03, 10:48 PM
Michael Black

--exray-- wrote in message ...
M Wilson wrote:
Hello,

Can someone suggest a CW only, all tube tranceiver for me? Nothing
QRP, more like between 20 and 100 watts, no transmitter/receiver
separate boxes, and no SSB transmitting capability. I want glowing
tubes and CW, in one box (power supply, of course, on the side).

Thanks!

MW

Little ole HW-16 is hard to beat, VFO on the side.
-Bill

It would be hard to beat, since if it wasn't the only CW only transceiver
with tubes, it would be among a handful.

Nothing else comes to mind at the moment. Before SSB came along,
transceivers were pretty rare at HF. The only tube non-SSB
HF transceiver that comes to mind was that Gonset, was it a G-76?
AM, and I can't remember if it actually included CW (or if the
receiver was suitable).

Once things started to become solid state, CW-transceivers became
more common. Ten-Tec, the various Heathkit QRP transceivers,
and those from smaller manufacturers.

Michael VE2BVW

Old September 24th 03, 12:09 AM
M Wilson

The HW-16 is a great idea, although the VFO adds another box, but
that's okay with me. Based on that, let me -revise- my request, to
include tube receiver/transmitter combos... it does not need to be a
transceiver. Suggestions?

Thanks again folks!

-mw