Old October 12th 03, 04:15 AM
Mike Knudsen

Default SX-117 ANL causes Low Audio

I dusted off my SX-117 tonite and it plays great, but I was reminded that when
the CAL-ANL knob is set to ANL, the audio output goes way down. If I turn up
the AF gain, the sound is good, and the ANL seems to work, more or less, but I
can't believe this is normal for the audio to drop so much.

Assuming it is not, can anyone tell me the best places to look for the problem?
Maybe the rotary switch itself? I have the manual and schematics.
Tnx es 73, Mike K. AA1UK

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.
Old October 12th 03, 08:13 AM
Joe

I had one of them they do use a product detector however the ANL is no more
sophisticated then a SB-301, Tempo One, HA-230 (all use diode clippers)
From what I remember its just 2 solid state diodes back to back, especially
on a strong signals they "nip" the output of the IF all the way down
You will notice the audio gets distorted too, its normal.

-Joe (NOSPAM)

Old October 13th 03, 04:16 AM
Mike Knudsen

In article , "Joe"
writes:

I had one of them they do use a product detector however the ANL is no more
sophisticated then a SB-301, Tempo One, HA-230 (all use diode clippers)
From what I remember its just 2 solid state diodes back to back, especially
on a strong signals they "nip" the output of the IF all the way down
You will notice the audio gets distorted too, its normal.

Sure, I expect some distortion on the audio when any ANL is on, even on fancy
radios likethe R390A that let you dial your own compromise between ANL
effectiveness and distortion.

I'm wondering if at least one of those ANL diodes in the '117 are shorted.
--Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.