Old October 20th 03, 07:49 AM
Jose V. Gavila

Default Unusual (in Spain) finding!

Good morning,

Yesterday, while attending a local fleamarket (not radio related), a
large dark grey box got my attention. I could not believe it; in the
middle of lots of other items (mostly _real_ junk!), there was a lonely
National NC-183D!. In about two years, it is the second BA I see in that
market (the other was a BC-348 which was fastly sold). The 183D was not
in great shape, having scratches all around it, some oxide, a couple
missing knobs (I will post later for help on this). It was about a 5 on
a 1-10 scale. Internally it was dirt but complete, with all tubes.

I asked price and got 80 Euro (about US$92) as an answer... finally, I
got it for 60 Euro (about US$69)

Of course, money left my wallet and the NC-183D went to my car's boot
:-)

I think it is a nice winter project and hope to be able to restore it to
its former glory (more to come about this as works start)

Regards from a happy camper :-)

JOSE

Old October 20th 03, 11:15 PM

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 06:49:09 UTC, "Jose V. Gavila"
wrote:

[...]

Great story. I've never had that happen to me. I've been
restoring and fixing up old Heathkits and Tektronix Oscilloscopes
that I get on eBay.

I believe that these old radios will be prized collectables
in a few years. That said, I have a life time supply of "fix it"
radios now, enough for 6 full stations.

de ah6gi/4

Old October 21st 03, 02:16 AM
Michael A. Terrell

"Jose V. Gavila" wrote:

[...]

73 EB5AGV / EC5AAU - JOSE V. GAVILA

I have a NC-183R on my bench for a complete restoration. A friend of
mine was moving and didn't have enough room to take it. He told me had
it sitting on a shelf for five years, and had never had the time to work
on it. He got it from someone else who had "fixed" it with a bunch of
new caps tacked into the chassis, and hanging loose, all over the place.
It has all the tubes and knobs, but the ventilated top cover is missing.

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old October 21st 03, 05:22 AM
pete

Yes, let us hope that they will be valuable in future years, as the market
on ebay and elsewhere for boatanchors is very soft now. Hopefully there
will still be analog stations to tune, and low enough levels of electrical
interference
to hear them.

I used to have an NC-183, and then decided that I shall have no boatanchor
larger
than a microwave oven. That maxim has certainly limited the size, but not
the quantity, of my boatanchors awaiting restoration!
Pete Verrando
KQ5I

Old October 21st 03, 05:50 AM
--exray--

pete wrote:

I used to have an NC-183, and then decided that I shall have no boatanchor
larger
than a microwave oven. That maxim has certainly limited the size, but not
the quantity, of my boatanchors awaiting restoration!
Pete Verrando
KQ5I

Get a bigger microwave oven.
-Bill