Old October 31st 03, 03:21 AM
Mark Rehorst

Default SX-190 buzz in audio

My SX-190 has buzzed at a level just loud enough to be annoying since
I got it a couple years ago (minus a lot of time when it wasn't
working at all) even in standby. One of the things I did to the radio
is replace the electrolytic caps, including the main power supply
filter. I used the same 2200 uF the schematic called for, but the
buzz is still there. Does anyone with one of these radios have a real
quiet set, or do they all buzz like this? Would putting caps across
the rectifiers reduce the buzz, or do I need to go to a quieter
external supply? Or should I do something to the audio amp?

One more thing- where can I get a set of tuning tools that includes
the hex drivers for IF can slugs?

Thanks,

MR

P.S. Download 100+ pages of SX/AX-190 documentation in an indexed .pdf
file he
http://www.rehorst.com/mrehorst/Alli...Info-Oct02.pdf

Old October 31st 03, 04:00 AM
--exray--

Mark Rehorst wrote:
My SX-190 has buzzed at a level just loud enough to be annoying

quiet set, or do they all buzz like this? Would putting caps across
the rectifiers reduce the buzz, or do I need to go to a quieter
external supply? Or should I do something to the audio amp?

I had a buzzy set of that vintage, not an SX-190, and it turned out the
power xfmr was bad. Sounded just like power line noise and was worse
with an external antenna. Go figure.

One more thing- where can I get a set of tuning tools that includes
the hex drivers for IF can slugs?

Radio Shack?

-Bill

Old October 31st 03, 02:02 PM
Mark Rehorst

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:00:33 -0400, --exray-- wrote:

I had a buzzy set of that vintage, not an SX-190, and it turned out the
power xfmr was bad. Sounded just like power line noise and was worse
with an external antenna. Go figure.

Was that mechanical buzzing of the transformer, or was there some
electrical problem? My radio buzzes through the speaker.

One more thing- where can I get a set of tuning tools that includes
the hex drivers for IF can slugs?

Radio Shack?

Really? I'll check it out. Thanks!

-Bill

Old October 31st 03, 03:01 PM
--exray--

Mark Rehorst wrote:
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:00:33 -0400, --exray-- wrote:

I had a buzzy set of that vintage, not an SX-190, and it turned out the
power xfmr was bad. Sounded just like power line noise and was worse
with an external antenna. Go figure.

Was that mechanical buzzing of the transformer, or was there some
electrical problem? My radio buzzes through the speaker.

No, this was electrical buzzing just like receiving power line noise.
mechanically it was quiet.

-Bill

Old October 31st 03, 03:55 PM
Scott Dorsey

Mark Rehorst wrote:
My SX-190 has buzzed at a level just loud enough to be annoying since
I got it a couple years ago (minus a lot of time when it wasn't
working at all) even in standby. One of the things I did to the radio
is replace the electrolytic caps, including the main power supply
filter. I used the same 2200 uF the schematic called for, but the
buzz is still there. Does anyone with one of these radios have a real
quiet set, or do they all buzz like this? Would putting caps across
the rectifiers reduce the buzz, or do I need to go to a quieter
external supply? Or should I do something to the audio amp?

If it is a buzz, it is probably not a cap. If it is a hum, it is probably
a cap. What stage is the buzz from? If you pull the mixer tube, does it
still buzz? If you pull the IF stages? What if you pull the detector?
At what stage is the buzz getting into the signal?

One more thing- where can I get a set of tuning tools that includes
the hex drivers for IF can slugs?

Cain Electronics in Hampton, VA still has TV tuning sets.
--scott

Old October 31st 03, 04:01 PM
Mike Knudsen

In article , --exray-- writes:

Was that mechanical buzzing of the transformer, or was there some
electrical problem? My radio buzzes through the speaker.

No, this was electrical buzzing just like receiving power line noise.
mechanically it was quiet.

Any idea of what was wrong with the power trans inside, or did you just replace
it and throw it away? Maybe the shielding between the windings was kaput.

I have a cheap AM/FM clock radio that sounds like light-dimmer power line noise
even on FM. I've tried tacking caps all over the place, to no effect. The DC
supply is clean on a scope. You have to wonder how such a sound gets into FM
-- it sounds exactly like the sort of noise that sends you reching for the ANL
switch on a real radio. --Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.