Old December 18th 03, 05:07 AM
Kevin Lunde

Default 50 ohm feedline to HQ-140-X

I would like to hook up an antenna fed with 50 ohm coax to my Hammarlund
HQ-140-X receiver. Can anyone point me toward a source for a commercial
balun or plans to make one?

73 de Kevin, K0UD

Old December 18th 03, 09:20 AM
starman

Kevin Lunde wrote:

I would like to hook up an antenna fed with 50 ohm coax to my Hammarlund
HQ-140-X receiver. Can anyone point me toward a source for a commercial
balun or plans to make one?

Here's a website that describes how to build a low noise inverted-L
antenna with a homemade balun for the coax.

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html

Old December 18th 03, 07:30 PM
Scottm

Kevin,

You may have some reasonable success using a cable television balun. These
are available at radio shack or other parts supply houses and are very
cheap. I've played around with several of them. Most exhibit response
roll-off as you get down to 80 meters and below. Depending on what you want
to pick up, this may or may not be a problem. They are designed to match
300 ohms to 75 ohms. This should be close enough for SWL work. You will
have to purchase or make an adaptor to go from PL-259 to F.

Good luck

Old December 18th 03, 07:43 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article , Scottm wrote:

You may have some reasonable success using a cable television balun. These
are available at radio shack or other parts supply houses and are very
cheap. I've played around with several of them. Most exhibit response
roll-off as you get down to 80 meters and below. Depending on what you want
to pick up, this may or may not be a problem. They are designed to match
300 ohms to 75 ohms. This should be close enough for SWL work. You will
have to purchase or make an adaptor to go from PL-259 to F.

I find they are pretty doubtful even on 40M, but they are great on six and
ten. You can pump ten watts through one without any real problem for
transmitting on 6M, too. Losses might be too much to do that on lower
bands.

75 ohm feedline is cheap, and of course a dipole cut for the band should
be a 75 ohm load to begin with.
--scott

Old December 20th 03, 11:35 AM
Frank Mayer

Just attach the coax to the antenna screws and forget it! You have an
antenna trimmer on the radio.

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Feedline for RCVR antenna Ken Antenna 2 December 17th 04 07:37 PM
Feedline Doug Birky Antenna 7 August 29th 04 07:09 PM
Balanced feedline for vertical antenna? DOUGLAS SNOWDEN Antenna 22 February 7th 04 01:52 AM
feedline impedance mike Antenna 12 October 6th 03 01:06 AM
Layout for G5RV twin feedline? Harry George Antenna 1 August 11th 03 11:04 PM