Old February 6th 04, 05:24 PM
Cambio

To see the tube photo -- go to googe.com type in "829B tubes"
Select IMAGES not web.

I recall these in Military Aircraft of the 50's --- I believe ARC-27 -- a
UHF Transceiver by Collins Radio

The ARC-1 Transceiver used a smaller rounded version 832B -- we called them
door knob tubes -- see google

So would make a VHF/UHF power output stage maybe 10 watts or so

--
73- Cambio - Keyboard To You (:-)
-----------------------------------
"Dave" wrote in message
news.com...
Hi all,

I just found several 829B tubes - believe it or not in my garage - I
must have got them in a box of stuff at a ham fest at one time.
A check on Ebay shows they're pretty much worthless for the sake
of dollars, but they're so COOL! With the two plate caps that are
actually just stiff pins, they look like little Martians.

I put a pair on my office credenza just to look geeky cool. Fresh
out of the box as NOS they look amazing - just like they were made
yesterday. It's a pity they have no value - maybe as a homebrew
project??

So can someone tell me what they would have been used for?
Something tells me they're a VHF power tube.

Any application as a one-tube QRP rig of any sort? Any stories
about using them in the past? I've built a lot of little rigs over the
years, but never knew about the 829

Thanks,

Dave

Old February 6th 04, 05:44 PM
Mike Andrews

In UcPUb.7963$IF1.3703@fed1read01 (rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors), Cambio wrote:
To see the tube photo -- go to googe.com type in "829B tubes"
Select IMAGES not web.

I recall these in Military Aircraft of the 50's --- I believe ARC-27 -- a
UHF Transceiver by Collins Radio

The ARC-1 Transceiver used a smaller rounded version 832B -- we called them
door knob tubes -- see google

So would make a VHF/UHF power output stage maybe 10 watts or so

They were the final in the TX of the AN/ARC-3, too. I never got
mine lit up, as I went into the USAF not long after I got mine --
surplused (or something) from the Civil Air Patrol, way back in
1964.

--
Any research done on how to efficiently use computers has been long lost
in the mad rush to upgrade systems to do things that aren't needed by
Old February 6th 04, 05:47 PM
Mike Andrews

In .com (rec.radio.amateur.homebrew), Dave wrote:

What sort of plate caps were used? There are just pins, and
it looks almost as if there would have been a ceramic gizmo
like a tube socket to have bridged the two of them....

On the transmitter for the AN/ARC-3, the plate leads just had push-on
clips with a little bit of spring-loading, much like the contacts in a
tube socket.

--
You haven't lived until you've seen the households Great Hunter
Panther^wtomcat cowering in terror under a bush after being
Old February 6th 04, 07:01 PM
mcalhoun

I just found several 829B tubes - believe it or not in my garage - I
....[snip]....

So can someone tell me what they would have been used for?
Something tells me they're a VHF power tube.
....[snip]....

A nice article starting on page 40 of the August, 1949, issue of QST
describs a two-tube (6AG7 oscillator [26MHz xtal]/doubler and 829
amplifier) for 75 watts output in the 6-meter band.

--Myron.
--
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
PhD EE (retired). "Barbershop" tenor. CDL(PTXS). W0PBV. (785) 539-4448
Old February 6th 04, 07:50 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article 20GUb.14771$An3.12809@edtnps84, Gregg wrote:
They also make good push-pull stereo amps :-)

I was looking at doing something like that years ago, using a homebrew
output transformer, but I never finished it. I do know that the 829
was used in some of the modulation decks for aircraft band transmitters
at one point, so they should be fun at AF.
--scott

Old February 6th 04, 08:13 PM
Scott Dorsey

Dave wrote:
Many thanks to all who replied, both here and by email.
They sound like a great tube for LOTS of purposes. My
favorite suggestion was building a regen, using each
half in place of the 6AQ5's called for in the ARRL handbook
design from the 50's!

How about an oscillator / amplifier for HF, running low
plate voltage for a relatively low RF output? Seems they
should be able to do that - and having a separate oscillator
stage it wouldn't be prone to runaway and exessive crystal
current. And it would look VERY cool!

If I recall, the 829 is one of the tubes with the cathodes tied
together to a single pin, isn't it? This reduces the utility for
such things.

What sort of plate caps were used? There are just pins, and
it looks almost as if there would have been a ceramic gizmo
like a tube socket to have bridged the two of them....

They are little ceramic clips. You can use Molex pins in a pinch.
--scott

Old February 7th 04, 02:45 AM
k3hvg

That's right on! The rig was the Collins ARC-1. It used one in the final and one
in the modulator. The thing was for 100-156 MHz. Later conversions for the
airlines in the late 40's added 50 or so channels (sort of like the ARC-3 and the
ARC-49).

snip-

Old February 7th 04, 06:05 AM
Hulen Smith

Dave, as I recall there was a design in one of the ARRL books..... maybe VHF
manual that included an 829B. I also recall Motorola using this in a very
old radio, don't remember exactly. Anyway I think it's good for 40-50 watts.
I wouldn't mind having them if your looking to part with them.

Clay

Old February 7th 04, 07:53 AM
Geoffrey G. Rochat

I just found several 829B tubes - believe it or not in my garage - I

snip

So can someone tell me what they would have been used for?
Something tells me they're a VHF power tube.

Any application as a one-tube QRP rig of any sort? Any stories
about using them in the past? I've built a lot of little rigs over the
years, but never knew about the 829

The datasheet is he

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...049/8/829B.pdf

A lot of The Radio Amateur's Handbooks of the '50s and '60s had 892B
projects in them. The 1953 edition, immediately to my left as I write this,
has "A 100-Watt RF Amplifier for 50 and 144 Mc." on page 405. It runs
push-pull class-C, up to 120 Watts CW or FM, and 100 Watts AM.

And the following fellow has gone to an awful lot of trouble to use two
829Bs in parallel single-ended triode mode in a stereo amplifier:

http://www.pmillett.addr.com/829b_amplifier.htm

Old February 7th 04, 08:09 PM
Uncle Peter

"Dave" wrote in message
news.com...
Many thanks to all who replied, both here and by email.
They sound like a great tube for LOTS of purposes. My
favorite suggestion was building a regen, using each
half in place of the 6AQ5's called for in the ARRL handbook
design from the 50's!

How about an oscillator / amplifier for HF, running low
plate voltage for a relatively low RF output? Seems they
should be able to do that - and having a separate oscillator
stage it wouldn't be prone to runaway and exessive crystal
current. And it would look VERY cool!

I'd think running the 829 in parallel for a HF PA, with another
829 as a P-P modulator would be a neat project.

Pete

Can you figure out this antenna? Richard Antenna 16 March 1st 04 02:51 AM
Tube tester query? k3hvg Boatanchors 4 February 2nd 04 02:47 AM
FS: Old tube sockets, 4, 5, 6, 7 pin, Hammurlund, GR, ceramic, phenolic,matching plugs, extenders Al Schapira Boatanchors 0 January 19th 04 11:54 PM
102-E Western Electric Tube info needed Jim Rayburn Boatanchors 0 August 20th 03 05:15 PM