Old February 13th 04, 01:29 AM
Al Schapira

Default FS: (2) Variac - Powerstat Variable Autotransformers

I have for sale within the continental US, two
Powerstat Variable Autotransformers commonly called "variacs".
See description below. Check or M.O. accepted.

$40 each + shipping from 07042.
If interested, please contact me stating your zipcode for shipping cost.

Thanks for looking.

-Al Schapira, KC2HRH,
Powerstat Variable Autotransformer, Type 3PN116B,
50/60 ~, 1 ph, 120 VAC in, 0-140 VAC out, 10A, 4 ft 3-wire line cord,
3-prong standard receptacle, on/off switch, 10 A fuse, "Fisher
Scientific" tag on body, used, working, very clean. About 11 lbs.

Pictures at
http://home.att.net/~a.schapira/pix/variac/PICT0001.JPG
http://home.att.net/~a.schapira/pix/variac/PICT0002.JPG

Old February 13th 04, 03:25 AM
- - Bill - -

Al Schapira wrote:
I have for sale within the continental US,

I'm KP4 and with the Alaska and Hawaii boys....whats this preoccupation
with CONUS?
If UPS Ground is the only available shipping option then thats
understandable due to their limited coverage. But via the US Post
Office its no more expensive to send an item from NJ to
Alaska/Hawaii/PR/APO or Micronesia than it is to California and if the
buyer is paying then why the restriction?
Sorry for the rant. I just encounter this so often and when I inquire
the answers range from "too much paperwork" to "no problem, you're
paying the postage". Maybe its just an old 48-stater habit to say
"continental US"
-Bill WX4A/KP4

Old February 13th 04, 06:17 AM
Joe Bento

I think some people have a problem filling out the little green customs
declarations. In any of my Ebay sales, I've never sent a package to PR.
Though a territory / US Commonwealth, I don't know if one is required
or not. However, I'll ship any non-restricted item world-wide. After
all, the buyer pays the postage.

I bought several years worth of "Radio Constructor" magazines from a guy
in Britain some time ago. His initial post on ebay.uk said that the
offer was good only for shipping within the UK. I emailed him stating
that I'd be willing to pay whatever the Royal Post rate was to get these
shipped to the US. He agreed, and postage was about three times the
cost of the auction. It was worth it to get these magazines though.
The Sir Douglas Hall construction articles are truly classic!

Joe, N6DGY

Old February 13th 04, 01:55 PM

- - Bill - - wrote:

Al Schapira wrote:

I have for sale within the continental US,

I'm KP4 and with the Alaska and Hawaii boys....whats this preoccupation
with CONUS?
If UPS Ground is the only available shipping option then thats
understandable due to their limited coverage. But via the US Post
Office its no more expensive to send an item from NJ to
Alaska/Hawaii/PR/APO or Micronesia than it is to California and if the
buyer is paying then why the restriction?
Sorry for the rant. I just encounter this so often and when I inquire
the answers range from "too much paperwork" to "no problem, you're
paying the postage". Maybe its just an old 48-stater habit to say
"continental US"
-Bill WX4A/KP4

The reason is that most of us are geezers and have forgotten that
Hawaii and Alaska are STATES and not foreign countries.

PR, ditto, same postal system; same currency. As an AH6 license
holder, I still get questions on, "what's Hawaiian money called?" or
"Do they speak English?"

You would think that between "Hawaiian Eye", "Hawaii 5-0", "Magnum
P.I." and "Baywatch Hawaii", and a half dozen other shows that it
would sink in.

The only difference between shipping to Hawaii and, say, UT, is the
two character state code.

Old February 13th 04, 02:51 PM
- - Bill - -

Joe Bento wrote:
I think some people have a problem filling out the little green customs
declarations. In any of my Ebay sales, I've never sent a package to PR.
Though a territory / US Commonwealth, I don't know if one is required
or not. However, I'll ship any non-restricted item world-wide. After
all, the buyer pays the postage.

Why would you need to fill out a "little green Customs form" to send
something within the US? Thats what I'm talking about...people don't
seem to know what is included in their own country.

Fedex and UPS Air often require filling out a "Commercial Invoice" form
for Puerto Rico because they, at a corporate level, don't consider PR as
part of the US for convenience because of the local taxes that are
imposed on certain imported items. More importantly that distinction
gives them the right to charge international rates rather than domestic.
Last time I bought a used car in SC and registered it in NC I had to
pay local tax but I didn't have to present a Customs Declaration.

-Bill KP4

Old February 13th 04, 06:48 PM
Joe Bento

The postal laws can be confusing. In my neighborhood, there are several
people with family in the Marshall Islands. MH - the two letter state
code, is a protectorate, but not a territory, though they do use US
postage, have a ZIP code, etc. Yet you send a parcel to "MH", I
understand a customs declaration is required. MH has a "V7" amateur
radio prefix, as well as "V7" for their commercial broadcast stations.
It seems that MH is an independant country, but with heavy ties to the
US for the country's security and operations.

Customs did pay a visit to my ship while I was in the Navy after we
returned from PR to the US Mainland. Likely, they were just checking on
alcohol, which import amounts are restricted without paying extra taxes.

Joe