Old March 3rd 04, 10:31 AM
John Crighton

Default Bridge Megger Tester. Series 2. 500 Volt.

Hello All,
I have googled around the net hoping to find
some information like an operators/repair booklet
for a Bridge Megger Tester. Series 2. 500 Volt.
Made by Evershed and Vignoles.
No luck yet.

Plenty of info on really old models but not much info
on 30 year old models.

This model has two rotary switches under the leather
carrying stap.
one switch is labled Bridge Insulation Varley
The other switch is a 5 position reistance multiplier switch.

On the side opposite the winding handle there are
three terminals Earth Line Varley Earth

The instrument works well for insulation testing.
Resistance measurement in the Bridge mode works
but not very accurate. There are four switches
that have ten positions. 0 to 9 so the accuracy
should be good.

"Varley Test" I dont know anything about this.
Just wondering if anyone can shed some light.

www.megger.com say it is too old. No help there.

Thanks for reading, all info appreciated.

Regards,
John Crighton
Sydney

Old March 3rd 04, 11:59 AM
Alan Douglas

Hi,
John asked:

"Varley Test" I dont know anything about this.
Just wondering if anyone can shed some light.

Without looking it up, I think the Varley Loop test was to find
shorts in underground cables, from resistance ratios measured from
each end. A google search for "varley loop" turned up some likely
texts.

73, Alan
Old March 3rd 04, 06:52 PM
Reg Edwards

There are all sorts of ways of locating cable faults.

My most accurate location was on a 15-mile length of recently laid cable
which from the symptoms was most likely at a joint. I obtained the records
of the job, looked up the names of the jointers who had worked on it, and
aked the contractor's engineer who was his worst jointer.

The fault was at the first joint we opened.
----
Reg

Old March 5th 04, 04:37 AM
John Crighton

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 06:59:22 -0500, Alan Douglas adouglasatgis.net
wrote:

Hi,
John asked:

"Varley Test" I dont know anything about this.
Just wondering if anyone can shed some light.

Without looking it up, I think the Varley Loop test was to find
shorts in underground cables, from resistance ratios measured from
each end. A google search for "varley loop" turned up some likely
texts.

73, Alan

Hello Alan, Doug and Reg,
thanks for the replies. I have a better idea now. Found
some sites with interesting reading. Varley was an
assistant engineer on the transatlantic cable laying
project on the ship Great Eastern, way back. It is
good to read something of the man behind the
technical term "Varley Test."
Cheerio,
John Crighton
Sydney