Old March 24th 04, 01:38 PM
Keith Densmore

Default WTD Info on RA6790

Greettings to All,
Does anybody know if anyone does repairs and/or board swaps for the Racal
RA6790.
Two followed me home from the last hamfest.
Thanks,
Keith, ve3ts

Old March 24th 04, 02:00 PM
Mike Andrews

Keith Densmore wrote:
Greettings to All,
Does anybody know if anyone does repairs and/or board swaps for the Racal
RA6790.
Two followed me home from the last hamfest.
Thanks,
Keith, ve3ts

You might want to ask the good folks on the Premium-RX list. There are
some RA6790 owners there.

Look at

Oneday they'll build phasers and there'll be demand for that good old
solid mechanical "click" of a hammer locking back.
-- AdB
Old March 24th 04, 03:43 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Keith Densmore wrote:
Greettings to All,
Does anybody know if anyone does repairs and/or board swaps for the Racal
RA6790.

Are the displays out?
--scott

Old March 25th 04, 02:30 AM
Michael Melland

"The" repair guru and parts source for Racal RA-6790/GM's and all things
Racal is Gary Wingerd in MD. He is a great fellow and is recently retired
from Racal.

Gary E Wingerd
9107 Jordan Rd
Hagerstown, MD 21740

Regards,

Mike, W9WIS

Old March 25th 04, 04:10 PM
Edward Knobloch

Hello, Keith

Be very careful with your new Racals.
Unless you have the semi-rare optional preamp installed,
the quad FET first mixer on board A-2 is dangerously exposed
to static damage. I stupidly used a type N to SO-239 adapter,
and plugged in a random length of wire in the shack,
to try out my receiver, and that ruined one mixer.
Now I use an old Ameco PCL-P Nuvistor preamp to isolate
the Racal FET's from the antenna.

The A-2 first mixer uses four Siliconix type SD-215DE FET's,
and it requires unsoldering the tin box cover on the A-2 board
to get at them. This type of FET has built-in static protection,
but the protection is only between the gate
and substrate, and it is the channel of the FET's
which is exposed at the Racal antenna connection.
The manual doesn't give the schematic of the mixer -
just shows it as a black box.

It is also wise to have an assortment of spare tantalum
electrolytic capacitors around. I've had one
of the little guys go up in smoke, nearly taking out
the regulated power supply. Used boards
bought on eBay also often have some bad tantalums.

Check out the G.E. Datastor back-up battery on the CPU card
(A6A2). If that battery leaks, you are in trouble,
since the boards aren't conformal coated.
I recommend replacing it with a Varta "Mempac"
2.4V 150mA-H (same physical size battery).

Caution: Do +not+ run the receiver self-test function
unless you need to (due to installing new IF filters, say).
The self-test will automatically determine the bandwidths
of the plug-in crystal or mechanical filters, and store
the result in the battery backed-up RAM
(used by the CPU to set BFO offset frequencies).
If your receiver fails the self-test, even for a minor
fault, like an AGC problem, your receiver can be left
brain-dead. You will have to run the self-test
with that CPU card plugged into
a good receiver, using the same filters as yours,
to recover the needed RAM data.

Gary Wingerd sells the Racal R-2174(P)/URR
"Preliminary Technical Repair Instruction Manual".
Although that manual is based on the use of Racal factory test
fixtures, it has many alignment instructions and signal
levels which were left out of the basic manual.
The basic manual is very skimpy, mostly intended
for board-swapping level repairs.

I like my Racal. The audio quality is excellent,
and the synchronous a.m. detector with 6.9 or 18 KHz
bandwidth makes for hi-fi a.m. listening.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Old March 25th 04, 07:17 PM
Chuck Harris

Curse you Ed Knobloch!

.... Well, not really....

You made me think of my RA6790GM, and I remembered that
I hadn't plugged it in since I moved mumble, mumble years
ago, so I did.... Dead as a brick... My isn't that pretty,
there are little dust motes floating in the....That's not dust,
that's smoke!

And there, stood another reminder of why I don't spec
Kemet tantalums anymore. A nice blue 6.8uf 35V one... with
a sooty brown ring around the middle. They make great 0 ohm
jumpers.

73,

-Chuck Harris

Info needed Scanman Boatanchors 0 January 10th 04 10:44 PM
Gotham Antenna info needed Keyboard In The Wilderness Antenna 4 December 5th 03 04:09 PM
Info in mil. receiver needed Tom Lager Boatanchors 0 October 31st 03 03:31 PM
INFO: Digitar WX Stn John Boatanchors 0 October 27th 03 12:26 AM
INFO: Digitar WX Stn John Boatanchors 0 October 27th 03 12:26 AM