Old January 28th 05, 03:06 AM
Jim Mandaville

Default Help with SP-600 alignment

I'm trying to touch up the oscillator on one band of my SP-600-JX6 (it's
about 20 kc off on the dial) and am having trouble getting any action
out of the C or L trimmers. Looking down through the first two uncapped
holes in the top of the front-end section: Looking straight down I see
nothing adjustable by screwdriver. Looking at a bit of inward angle I
see a possible adjustment point but it's a rather deep with a small
screw head and very difficult to "find" with my screwdrive tip (even
using quite fine tips). Am I after the right thing? Do these trimmers
had a tendency to freeze up or "lose" their slots? If so, can they be
reached by opening the compartment from below so they can be freed up?

I do have a service manual, but it's speechless on such little
mechanical problems.

Also, can anyone advise a source of SP-600 parts? I need a replacement
S-3, the rotary switch that links the crystal oscillator section to the
main front-end section.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Jim, KF7A
Old January 29th 05, 03:02 PM
Ed Engelken

Jim:

The adjustments are in there! It's been 6 years or so since I worked
on an SP-600, but I remember that those adjustments were hard to
locate. If you have an otoscope (the thing the doctor uses to look in
your ears) you can spot the adjustments with ease. Taking off the
bottom cover may provide a bit more light. I don't recall having any
problems with stuck or frozen adjustments. Persistance will pay off!
Best Regards,

Ed