Old June 4th 04, 01:23 PM
K5DH

Default Drake AC-4 question -- with a vital correction made!

Hi all,

This is probably a silly question... be gentle...

I'm refurbishing the Drake AC-4 power supply that
goes with my TR-4C/RV-4C station. Is there any
reason for me NOT to install a 3-wire line cord
in place of the old TWO-wire cord? I don't care
about the unit being "concours correct". I am
just concerned that there might be some obscure
reason, like AC hum problems or something. I've
installed 3-wire cords on Heath, Swan, National,
and other supplies without problems, but this is
the first Drake supply that I've ever had to do
any work on.

73,
Dean K5DH

Old June 4th 04, 01:48 PM
KLØS

Dean -- I changed mine over to 3-wire; the Drake Tech Notes Set recommends
doing it. Has not had any effect on its operation (but I think I feel a lot
safer!!!).

Dino KLØS/4

Old June 4th 04, 09:01 PM
Lonnie

Do it. Be safe. Just make sure that you get the right
size/configuration for the line cord & Heyco strain relief (e.g. don't
use a flat line cord in a strain relief made for round cord).

regards

Mahlon - K4OQ

Old June 5th 04, 09:33 PM
RadioGuy

K5DH wrote in message
Hi all,

This is probably a silly question... be gentle...

I'm refurbishing the Drake AC-4 power supply that
goes with my TR-4C/RV-4C station. Is there any
reason for me NOT to install a 3-wire line cord
in place of the old TWO-wire cord? I don't care
about the unit being "concours correct". I am
just concerned that there might be some obscure
reason, like AC hum problems or something. I've
installed 3-wire cords on Heath, Swan, National,
and other supplies without problems, but this is
the first Drake supply that I've ever had to do
any work on.

73,
Dean K5DH

Howdy:

My AC-4 SN# 56893 (QC tag - April 11, 1977) has 3-wire line cord.

RG

Old June 5th 04, 10:12 PM
Bruce Anderson

Since Drake recommended grounding the chassis. There should be no problem
connecting the chassis to the ground on the three wire plug.

73
Bruce, W1LUS