Old June 22nd 04, 04:16 AM
Reed Park

Default Marconi MSL-5 / 43370-A

Hi Group

Does anyone know where I can find any info on a Marconi MSL-5
receiver ? I have checked with a few manual vendors as well as
did a google search with no luck. It appears to be a dual receiver,
covering 15 kcs to 1500 kcs in 5 bands.

Tube layout is 2 - 6K7 metal tubes, 1 - 38 glass and 1 - 6F7 glass.
There is also a cats whisker detector under the top cover at the front
of the radio. Two headphone jacks on the front panel, one labelled
xtal headset and the other just says headset. There are two main
tuning capacitors and two 5 position band switches. Looks like two
seperate receivers in the one cabinet. One using the tubes and the
other a simple xtal set.

Interesting piece of technology. I suspect mid 1930's

7 3
Reed

--

Looking for information on Marconi SMR-3 and
Northern Electric R8119A receivers of WW 2.

ARROW Research (Avro CF-105)
Reed Park
252 Gauvin Road
Dieppe, New Brunswick
Canada E1A1M1

Amateur Radio V E 1 N U
WW II, # 19 SET user
Paraset replica builder and owner of a real one.

Old June 22nd 04, 08:36 PM
Irv Finkleman

Reed Park wrote:

Hi Group

Does anyone know where I can find any info on a Marconi MSL-5
receiver ? I have checked with a few manual vendors as well as
did a google search with no luck. It appears to be a dual receiver,
covering 15 kcs to 1500 kcs in 5 bands.

Tube layout is 2 - 6K7 metal tubes, 1 - 38 glass and 1 - 6F7 glass.
There is also a cats whisker detector under the top cover at the front
of the radio. Two headphone jacks on the front panel, one labelled
xtal headset and the other just says headset. There are two main
tuning capacitors and two 5 position band switches. Looks like two
seperate receivers in the one cabinet. One using the tubes and the
other a simple xtal set.

Ah! Memories! When I served on HMCS Sussexvale and HMCS Jonquiere, two WWII
Frigates, we had them in the radio shack. Yes, they were excellent VLF and LF
receivers. Indeed, they could be tube operated, or without power as a crystal set!

I don't know where you could find any info on them now... but thanks for the
memories!

Irv VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old June 23rd 04, 02:11 AM
Reed Park

Irv Finkleman wrote:

Ah! Memories! When I served on HMCS Sussexvale and HMCS Jonquiere, two WWII
Frigates, we had them in the radio shack. Yes, they were excellent VLF and LF
receivers. Indeed, they could be tube operated, or without power as a crystal set!

I don't know where you could find any info on them now... but thanks for the
memories!

Irv VE6BP
--

Hi Irv

Glad to hear that at least someone has heard of that radio. :-)
I have a few other Marconi sets from that era that I am also
trying to get info on. It's hard to believe that I have so many
radios of WW2 vintage that there is no information on. It's not
like there was only a small number made. Must be the "why" they
were made or the "who" they were made for that causes the trouble.

7 3
Reed

--

ARROW Research - Avro CF-105