Old February 25th 05, 06:51 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Default tektronix type 515A oscilloscope

tom wrote:

I've got an old tektronix type 515A oscilloscope that doesn't sweep all the
way across the screen, or display properly. The attached photo is of
120Volt, 60Hz, adjusted to show it most like it should be, clearly it's a
diseased device How difficult a task would it be to fix? Is it worth
anything as antique value?

Check the power supplies for open electrolytics or voltages that are
out of tolerance.

--
Beware of those who post from srvinet.com!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old February 25th 05, 10:56 PM
patgkz

I had an old scope like that. I pulled out all the tubes and found several
Bugle-Boys which I bundled together and sold them on eBay for $60 to the
audiophools.
I then threw the scope out to the dumpster.

Old February 25th 05, 11:43 PM
tom

"Bugle-Boys" ? what are they, a type of vacuum tube? Do they say bugle-boy
on them?
Hmmm, I had no idea the tubes seperately might be saleable. Do you know
offhand, Pat, how to valuate vacuum tubes?
This is interesting. Anybody know how old this scope really is?

Old February 26th 05, 12:20 AM
COLIN LAMB

The 515A was manufactured from 1957 to 1971. It is a general purpose scope
with a bandwidth of 15 MHz. Value if aligned and working properly is about
$75, however, an old scope is somewhat like an old piece of medical
equipment. Those that need them buy something newer, and if you do not need
them, they are not of much value. I like old scopes and have a number of
old Tek scopes. I get them only because people give them to me and I would
not pay to have one shipped. Most of the tubes in the 515A are so common
that they have no real value.

You may be able to find a manual for downloading, but the scope is a complex
instrument and it is difficult to diagnose by e-mail.

Value in present condition is to see if someone will haul it away, or try to
fix it yourself after finding a manual.

Colin Lamb

Old February 26th 05, 02:57 AM
Jerry McCarty

On 25-Feb-2005, "tom" wondered:

"Bugle-Boys" ? what are they, a type of vacuum tube? Do they say
bugle-boy
on them?

It was a logo used on some Amperex tubes. Sort of a cartoon drawing of a
vacuum tube playing a bugle.

They are standard tubes, but allegedly built to tighter standards. Probably
like resistors used to be- somebody made a whole batch of some value, then
measured each one. The ones that were within 20% tolerance had a 10 cent
price, the ones within 10% had a 25 cent price and the ones that happened by
sheer chance to be within 5% sold for much more.

Rumor has it that God himself (herself?) uses only genuine Bugle Boys in his
(her) hi-fi.