Old February 26th 05, 01:21 AM
Phil Nelson

Default Can you ID this Hallicrafters S-meter?

I bought this thinking it would replace my exploded SX-28 meter, but as you
can see from the photo, it's too small. My cruddy SX-28 meter is on the left
(duh).

http://antiqueradio.org/art/temp/Hallimeters.jpg

Anyone want to buy it -- or know what it belongs to? The meter looks like
new. My loss is your gain :-)

If not, maybe I'll try to use it to make an external S-meter for my S-20R
( http://antiqueradio.org/smeter.htm ,
http://antiqueradio.org/magiceye.htm ). I don't think they used this style
of meter face after WWII.

Regards,

Phil "dumb shopper" Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old February 26th 05, 03:41 AM
Rick Frazier

Phil:

as the new meter is smaller, until you find another that is the correct size,
why not just mount the one you have on a black plastic or metal ring in the hole
the old one came out of? Of course, it won't look quite right, but will at
least read correctly until you can find the larger one for your unit.

Thanks
--Rick

Old February 26th 05, 02:46 PM
GBrown

The meter is for the R-45/ARR-7, airborn receiver. The S-36 s-meter has a
red red line near the right side of the scale.
Regards,
Gary...WZ1M
..

Old February 26th 05, 04:48 PM
Phil Nelson

"GBrown" wrote in message
The meter is for the R-45/ARR-7, airborn receiver.

Good eyes! The photo in the Halli book definitely looks like a match.

I wonder if I could use this meter as a sub while I continue the search for
the real thing?

According to the book, the R-45/ARR-7 is a contemporary of the SX-28 and
electrically very similar (except for phones-only audio and external power
supply).

Phil Nelson

Old February 26th 05, 08:32 PM
Uncle Peter

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message news:AaQTd.5925
Anyone want to buy it -- or know what it belongs to? The meter looks like
new. My loss is your gain :-)

Phil

If it goes up for sale, I am interested!

Peter

Old February 27th 05, 08:46 AM
Scott W. Harvey

Phil Nelson wrote:
"GBrown" wrote in message

The meter is for the R-45/ARR-7, airborn receiver.

Good eyes! The photo in the Halli book definitely looks like a match.

I wonder if I could use this meter as a sub while I continue the search for
the real thing?

It should work. You would have to create an adaptor so the smaller meter
body would fit in the larger hole, but it would work better than what
you've got now.

According to the book, the R-45/ARR-7 is a contemporary of the SX-28 and
electrically very similar (except for phones-only audio and external power
supply).

The R-45 is essentially an airborne SX-28 with an added zero-gain RF
stage to keep RF radiation levels down to prevent enemy radar from
homing in on the receiver while in use. I have one in the queue and it
looks like it will be easier to work on than a full-blown SX-28.

-Scott

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AT THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE!
Instead, go to the following web page to get my real email address:

Need a schematic? check out the Schematic Bank at:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/schematics/

Archive of alt.binaries.pictures.radio binary postings:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/abpr/
Old March 1st 05, 05:39 AM
Phil Nelson

"Scott W. Harvey" wrote:
It should work.

Yes, it does work, if I reverse the leads to the meter. However, it's too
small, the dial background is white, and it has no pilot lamp. I think I'll
stick with my backwards-working but otherwise functional SX-28 meter for
now, and use this in some other project.

Interesting that the dial face on this meter is as white as new, whereas
SX-28 meter faces all faded to orange-yellow over time, even though both
radios are contemporaneous. Maybe the military specs called for a different
material . . . ?

Regards,

Phil Nelson