Old July 4th 04, 02:50 AM
Steve

Default need info on RT-657/TLQ-15 military tranceiver

Hi Gang,
Picked up an interesting military tranceiver this morning at a radio swap.
Its all solid state, but weighs a ton, and runs off of 115 VAC, 400 Hz
(its a pseudo-boatanchor). Its an RT-657/TLQ-15, and I've been able
to find out very little on the www. The TLQ-15 is apparently a
countermeasures
set, but thats about all I can find.

With a bit of creative hacking, I was able to power it up. It is an all mode
(AM, FM, CW, USB, LSB, and some digital modes) tranceiver that
covers 1.5 - 20.5 MHz, continuously tunable (LED display). Based on the
power transformer ratings and the output transistors, I'd guess it'll
put out about 100+ watts.

Anyway, there are a LOT of BNC connectors, and a couple of other big
connectors on the back panel. Sure would be nice to know what they
go to! If anyone out there has one of these beasties, and knows anything
about them, I'd sure like to hear from you. A couple of folks at the
swapmeet
said its a spy radio....not sure about that, but it was probably used in an
airplane.

Steve

Old July 4th 04, 09:13 AM
Stan Barr

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 01:50:20 GMT, Steve wrote:
said its a spy radio....not sure about that, but it was probably used in an
airplane.

The "T" in TLQ means Ground, Transportable - so it's likely not for
aircraft use.

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!
Old July 4th 04, 03:10 PM
Steve

Hummm.....rack mount, about 30" deep, weighs about 80 pounds or
so, and 400 Hz input power. I guess is you have a Humvee at your disposal!
;-)

Steve

al...

Old July 4th 04, 07:01 PM
Stan Barr

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:10:52 GMT, Steve wrote:
Hummm.....rack mount, about 30" deep, weighs about 80 pounds or
so, and 400 Hz input power. I guess is you have a Humvee at your disposal!
;-)

Steve

Stan Barr wrote in message
cal...
On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 01:50:20 GMT, Steve wrote:
said its a spy radio....not sure about that, but it was probably used in

an
airplane.

The "T" in TLQ means Ground, Transportable - so it's likely not for
aircraft use.

I've just looked in "Janes" - I should have looked there first!

AN/TLQ-15 is a Communications and Countermeasures Set made by American
Electronic Laboratories, Lansdale, Penn. Intended to be truck or ship
mounted, but capable of being used airborne. It consists of a Rx and Tx
Covering 1.5-20MHz with CW, AM, FM or DSB and 2KW output in CW mode.
It is designed to lock onto transmissions and jam them using a 10%
recieve and 90% transmit cycle.
The whole installation is about 6 feet high and 3 racks wide.

HTH...