Old September 5th 04, 04:48 PM
L.

Default Science Fair Globe Patrol (28-205)

Hi,

I know this may not qualify as a true "boat anchor" as we know them to be,
but...

Found one of these at a flea market yesterday. It isn't dead, but seems to
need some attention. Squawks and squeals more than it receives. Anyone have
any info on it? Schematic, builders guide, etc?

There are 4 coil forms in the unit. 2 have slugs, 2 do not, though they have
threads. I'm wondering if they were empty as new or the slugs came out or
were removed......

This receiver has coverage in 4 bands from 550 KHz to 30 MHz. I know it may
not be the "best" receiver, but if I could get it going to listen to some SW
or Hams or whatever , this would be a handy little receiver to stuff in a
suitcase. It runs off of 6 volts via batteries or adaptor. I have somewhere
in my junk pile and unfinished CW QRP rig for 40 meters I believe. It was
99% finished, but due to other issues became a WAY back burner project.
Maybe I can match the two together for a "away from home" station.

Any info you can share????

Thanks,

L.

Old September 5th 04, 08:01 PM
Bob Liesenfeld

"L." wrote:

Hi,

I know this may not qualify as a true "boat anchor" as we know them to be,
but...

Found one of these at a flea market yesterday. It isn't dead, but seems to
need some attention. Squawks and squeals more than it receives. Anyone have
any info on it? Schematic, builders guide, etc?

Hi L.,
It sounds like you have found a schematic, but if not try:

http://www.qsl.net/kc6vdx/gear/globe.html

As to your other questions....Have you ever used a regen before, as in
are you familiar with how to tune it?
Also, what are you using for an antenna?

Glad to give any more info that I can.

72

Bob WB0POQ
Old September 5th 04, 08:20 PM
L.

"Bob Liesenfeld" wrote in message

"L." wrote:

Hi,

I know this may not qualify as a true "boat anchor" as we know them to

be,
but...

Found one of these at a flea market yesterday. It isn't dead, but seems

need some attention. Squawks and squeals more than it receives. Anyone

have
any info on it? Schematic, builders guide, etc?

Hi L.,
It sounds like you have found a schematic, but if not try:

http://www.qsl.net/kc6vdx/gear/globe.html

As to your other questions....Have you ever used a regen before, as in
are you familiar with how to tune it?
Also, what are you using for an antenna?

Glad to give any more info that I can.

72

Bob WB0POQ

Hi Bob,

I found the site you referred to just after I posted this ad.... I'm ok
with using a regen, but I still have a ? of the unit itself. The Schematic
doesn't show the coils to be tunable. Not as I'm typically used to seeing
anyway! Most schematics I'm used to, have an arrow to show tuning. AND of
the 4 coils, 2 have slugs, 2 don't. So, was not sure of the slugs in the two
are missing OR the two present were in error. But the site you suggested,
has a pic of the PC board. I can clearly see the two here with slugs are ok.
I can not make out if the other two have slugs down in them or not. I just
got this thing yesterday, so still playing. About 25' of wire on it for now.
Will play some more. But was wanting to know about the other 2 coils so I
know whether I'm missing some tuning or not. If not, then I guess I'll
reacquaint myself with the Regen.. IT "has" been a while. I'm sure I'll
figure it all out, its just trying to get a heads up if possible on the
"proper" makeup of this unit.

Thanks,

L.

Old September 6th 04, 12:07 AM
Uncle Peter

[...]

The slugs would be used to calibrate the tuning scale. Being a rather
simple receiver, it is quite likely that the set doesn't have provisions
for aligning the radio, especially considering its intended market;
few kids would have the ability or test gear to do so. So, unless the
dial scale is off by a considerable amount for those two bands,
I wouldn't be too concerned about the coil cores.

Pete