Old May 11th 05, 06:57 AM
David Dawson

Default Drake TR-33C crystals wanted/available - repost

Hi
Does anyone have crystals for the Drake TR-33C 2 meter tranceiver?
I have the following available for trade:
146.640
146.610
146.820
146.880
147.000

I want the following (some/any)
145.350
146.430
146.680
147.300

The crystal's marked frequency is the exact channel frequency.
The radio derives the output by some method which I don't know, but I can
get +/- 600 kHz and no offset as well
Thanks

--
....Dave Dawson

"If you wrestle in the mud with a pig,
you both get dirty, and the pig likes it."
Old May 11th 05, 01:15 PM
Chuck Harris

David Dawson wrote:
Hi
Does anyone have crystals for the Drake TR-33C 2 meter tranceiver?
I have the following available for trade:
146.640
146.610
146.820
146.880
147.000

I want the following (some/any)
145.350
146.430
146.680
147.300

The crystal's marked frequency is the exact channel frequency.
The radio derives the output by some method which I don't know, but I can
get +/- 600 kHz and no offset as well

Thanks

It really is quite easy and inexpensive to get your crystals custom
made by a number of different companies. Most all have web access and
ordering. I have used JAN and had excellent results. The companies have
information on file for virtually every piece of equipment that uses
crystals... They certainly have your TR33C on file.

The usually scheme for making the radio work with a single crystal is to
make the crystal be cut for the receive frequency, and mix it with three
different crystals for transmit (LO+IF, LO+IF-600KHz, LO+IF+600KHz). The
IF is most likely 10.7MHz.

-Chuck
Old May 11th 05, 01:44 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
David Dawson wrote:
Hi
Does anyone have crystals for the Drake TR-33C 2 meter tranceiver?
I have the following available for trade:
146.640
146.610
146.820
146.880
147.000

I want the following (some/any)
145.350
146.430
146.680
147.300

The crystal's marked frequency is the exact channel frequency.
The radio derives the output by some method which I don't know, but I can
get +/- 600 kHz and no offset as well
Thanks

Honestly, QMX will cut these things for you for less than ten bucks
each. You might as well just get custom cuts.
--scott
Old May 16th 05, 07:26 AM
David Dawson

Chuck Harris wrote:

David Dawson wrote:
[...]

Thanks.
There are a few problems for me with getting custom crystals.
I'd have to get them across the border up here in Canada if I get them from
Jan, pay tax, more tax, brokerage and handling fees which would make it not
worth the price I'd end up paying on my rather limited budget.

It would be cheaper for me to buy another radio than buy a set of crystals.

And yes, I kind of figured that there would be heterodyning involved.

When it comes down to it, I have a nice synthesized rig but I'd like to set
the Drake up for operation on some more useful frequencies in Vancouver BC,
where I live.

Oh well, maybe I'll come across some crystals somewhere.
--
....Dave Dawson VE7HP /VE7HDC

Old May 16th 05, 07:29 AM
David Dawson

Scott Dorsey wrote:

In article ,
David Dawson wrote:
Hi
Does anyone have crystals for the Drake TR-33C 2 meter tranceiver?
I have the following available for trade:
146.640
146.610
146.820
146.880
147.000

I want the following (some/any)
145.350
146.430
146.680
147.300

The crystal's marked frequency is the exact channel frequency.
The radio derives the output by some method which I don't know, but I can
get +/- 600 kHz and no offset as well
Thanks

Honestly, QMX will cut these things for you for less than ten bucks
each. You might as well just get custom cuts.
--scott

Thanks, BUT...
Bucks tend to add up somewhat ;-)
see my post to Chuck above.

Old May 16th 05, 09:32 AM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
David Dawson wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:

David Dawson wrote:
[...]

From the "devious suggestions" department:
1) Know anybody just "south of the border" you could have them shipped to?
2) failing that, consider renting a 'stateside' P.O. box, or a 'Mailboxes,
etc." or similar one.
3) failing that, you can have stuff shipped _to_ a Federal Express
facility (obviously only by Fed Ex) flagged "Hold for Customer
Pick-Up".

Then take a day-trip to Seattle, to collect em. Declare them on the return,
and you'll only pay the "tax and more tax", avoiding the brokerage/handling
outrageousness. Although that is "only" $5/package if they go through the
_mail_, vs the $35 and up, that the folks like UPS gouge you for.

In scenario #1, a receipt for, say, $1, for 'one lot, misc. radio crystals',
makes the 'tax and more tax' burden not quite so bad.
Old May 16th 05, 03:52 PM
Michael Black

David Dawson ) writes:
Chuck Harris wrote:

David Dawson wrote:
[...]

Nobody's making crystals in Canada anymore? There used to be, I have
no idea who if any still do, but it might be worth checking.

Snelgrove in Ontario used to, they even made crystal filters.

Michael VE2BVW

Old May 20th 05, 07:41 PM
David Dawson

Robert Bonomi wrote:

In article ,
David Dawson wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:

David Dawson wrote:
[...]

From the "devious suggestions" department:
1) Know anybody just "south of the border" you could have them shipped
to?
2) failing that, consider renting a 'stateside' P.O. box, or a
'Mailboxes,
etc." or similar one.
3) failing that, you can have stuff shipped _to_ a Federal Express
facility (obviously only by Fed Ex) flagged "Hold for Customer
Pick-Up".

Then take a day-trip to Seattle, to collect em. Declare them on the
return, and you'll only pay the "tax and more tax", avoiding the
brokerage/handling
outrageousness. Although that is "only" $5/package if they go through the
_mail_, vs the $35 and up, that the folks like UPS gouge you for.

In scenario #1, a receipt for, say, $1, for 'one lot, misc. radio
crystals', makes the 'tax and more tax' burden not quite so bad.

Well, I have a friend with a Blaine PO Box, I could get him to collect the
package for that matter. Thanks.

FS: Crystals [email protected] Swap 0 March 4th 05 06:52 PM
FA - R. L. Drake SW8 'portable' World Band Shortwave Communications Receiver RHF Shortwave 7 January 4th 05 03:00 AM
Crystals for Drake Equipent JONWEINER Swap 0 June 7th 04 05:50 PM
Drake TR-33C Crystals - wanted/available David C Dawson Boatanchors 6 May 19th 04 12:37 PM
Drake R4 receiver crystals Bryan Swap 1 January 30th 04 11:53 AM