Old May 13th 05, 04:55 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Chuck Harris wrote:
Cmd Buzz Corey wrote:

Chuck Harris wrote:

If I go into your house and steal all of your belongings, and then
give them to Goodwill, out of the goodness of my heart, then it's
ok, right?

If you think you can get past the .44 magnum, go ahead.

Apparently you have trouble telling the difference between a hypothetical
situation, and an offer to burglarize your house.

As long as you keep it hyothetical you are safe.
Old May 14th 05, 01:14 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Chuck Harris wrote:

So, tell me, why do you feel so threatened that you need to announce
to the world (that is the audience here) that you are armed and looking
for a fight?

There was nothing in my post that could possibly make a literate person
believe I was planning to burglarize *your* home, and yet your first
instinct was to thump your chest and warn off all potential intruders.

Where did I say I was looking for a fight? and I don't feel threatened,
you come burglarizing my home and you are the one looking for a fight
and will certainly feel threathened. You are the one who brought it up,
not me.
Old May 14th 05, 12:04 PM
No One You Know

Default How to stop the manual thieves

One way to stop these thieves is to have the BAMA site print on every
page in bold letters "THIS MANUAL IS FROM THE BAMA MANUAL ARCHIVE" or
some other wording. This placed on the front cover and table of
contents might at least slow down the stupid thieves.

Any other legal ideas?

Old May 14th 05, 01:54 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Chuck Harris wrote:
Cmd Buzz Corey wrote:

Chuck Harris wrote:

So, tell me, why do you feel so threatened that you need to announce
to the world (that is the audience here) that you are armed and looking
for a fight?

There was nothing in my post that could possibly make a literate person
believe I was planning to burglarize *your* home, and yet your first
instinct was to thump your chest and warn off all potential intruders.

Where did I say I was looking for a fight?

Right he

If I go into your house and steal all of your belongings, and then
give them to Goodwill, out of the goodness of my heart, then it's
ok, right?

If you think you can get past the .44 magnum, go ahead.

You are challenging me to burglarize your house so you can try and
shoot me.

Get a life chuckie, I in no way was 'challenging' you to burglarize my
home, you are the one that first mentioned burglarizing. I simply said
if you do, then be prepared to face the consenquences.

My hypothetical question, shown above was an attempt to help you to
understand that it doesn't matter whether or not a thief sells, or
gives away stolen property, a crime has still occurred.

And as I said, as long as it remains hypothetical, then you have nothing
to worry about.
Old May 14th 05, 05:05 PM
Mr Fed UP

Well good luck. I wouldn't want to toss water on your parade, but if the
major
music and computer software firms fail at this; I wouldn't hold out much
hope of
making it theft proof. The best I could recommend is that everyone boycott
those
folks caught selling pirated material. Any efforts the make it harder would
just be
a pain in the butt for all those who really appreciate the BAMA site and
other
places that have help for those in need of assistance.

Thanks for the posting.... I wouldn't want to donate to a thief.
73 WB9SMX Gary

oups.com...

Old May 14th 05, 07:54 PM
Ben Bradley

On 14 May 2005 04:04:02 -0700, "No One You Know"
wrote:

One way to stop these thieves is to have the BAMA site print on every
page in bold letters "THIS MANUAL IS FROM THE BAMA MANUAL ARCHIVE" or
some other wording. This placed on the front cover and table of
contents might at least slow down the stupid thieves.

Any other legal ideas?

Technically and legally, making a scan and uploading it doesn't
transfer any rights. "Thanks" to Disney, copyright can go back as
early as 1926. Some manuals may be old enough to be in the public
domain (I forget all the rules, but if it's more recent than 1925 you
should check), and a company having gone out of business does not
automatically make the manuals public domain (though it may reduce the
chance of there being anyone to sue you for infringement.
There was a recent thread on sci.electronics.design on copying of
older HP and Tektronix manuals, and of the companies still holding
copyright. Someone got a clarification from one of those companies (I
forget which) that manuals can be scanned and put on CDR's and traded
'at cost', but not made available for download on the Internet.
Whoever runs BAMA may want to read that thread to see what they might
have for download that the company might go after them for.

But I can understand the feelings against these ebay profiteers.

If you want to put them out of business (and presuming the specific
manuals being offered are public domain or permission is granted from
the copyright holders), sell them yourself on ebay for $1 or $2 each
or whatever copying and postage costs you. A fully loaded CDR should
be about $2 or $3 postpaid, and a printout of a scan at whatever it
costs, maybe postage plus 20 cents a page (whatever it costs to print
with those inkjet cartridges that are 2/3rds the price of a new inkjet
printer).

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Old May 14th 05, 09:21 PM
Chuck Harris

Mr Fed UP wrote:
Well good luck. I wouldn't want to toss water on your parade, but if the
major
music and computer software firms fail at this; I wouldn't hold out much
hope of
making it theft proof. The best I could recommend is that everyone boycott
those
folks caught selling pirated material. Any efforts the make it harder would

But legally most everything posted on BAMA *is* pirated material. As far as I
know, only Agilent and Tektronix have given license for what BAMA is doing.

All these guys on ebay are doing is making BAMA's pirated material available on
a different media.

-Chuck
Old May 14th 05, 09:45 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Chuck Harris wrote:

But legally most everything posted on BAMA *is* pirated material. As
far as I
know, only Agilent and Tektronix have given license for what BAMA is doing.

And BAMA isn't attempting to profit from any of it.

All these guys on ebay are doing is making BAMA's pirated material
available on
a different media.

-Chuck

On BAMA it is free to download, as opposed to ebay where the material is
up for sale. These scum are attempting to profit from the work of others
that is meant to be available for free.
Old May 14th 05, 09:49 PM
No One You Know

Chuck Harris wrote:
Mr Fed UP wrote:
[...]

That being said, all of the other after market manual providers will
not be able to provide copies either. Some have been doing this for
years.
Is there a difference between 'public domain' and 'pirated'? I think
so.

Anyway, IMO stealing is stealing.

Old May 14th 05, 10:10 PM
Gregg

Behold, No One You Know scribed on tube chassis:

One way to stop these thieves is to have the BAMA site print on every
page in bold letters "THIS MANUAL IS FROM THE BAMA MANUAL ARCHIVE" or
some other wording.

Anyone half-competent with GIMP or PS could strip that in less than five
minutes.

The best thing is if you don't want it stolen, don't put it on the web.
Whicj of course, would defeat the purpose of BAMA.

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca