Old May 23rd 05, 02:55 PM
Randy or Sherry Guttery

John Smith wrote:

Dave, I said an excellent contribution on your part--few will do as much,
here I just repeat what I have already said...

Nothing wrong with .pdf, except it is too large... and in the case of all
graphic content--not text searchable...

So when are you going to stop talking and do it? Otherwise take what's
available and stop whining and putting down other people choices (i.e.
SHUT UP). 99% of us couldn't care less what your opinions are- as in
"sharing them" - you've managed to insult and alienate many people here
in a very short period of time. If that wasn't your intention - then I
suggest you review your words and consider them from other's
perspective. If it was your intention (as your overly broad slam against
Mac users, seems to indicate -- and no , I'm NOT a Mac user)- then
[plonk].

Not warmest regards - in fact with growing disdain...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com
Old May 23rd 05, 05:22 PM
John Smith

John-Smith-rolls-eyes-keeps-silent

Warmest regards,
John

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
John Smith wrote:
Rice wine? Only worse idea would be prune wine.. not even a shot of
good whiskey can take the rank taste of rice wine away... frown

I enjoy hot sake with my Chinese food.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Newsgroups
=----

Old May 23rd 05, 05:43 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Dave Platt wrote:
An electronic (PDF) version of Edmund Laport's 1952 textbook "Radio
Antenna Engineering" is now available for free download. Details may
be found at:

http://snulbug.mtview.ca.us/books/Ra...naEngineering/

I've got reasonable bandwidth resources, so I've put up the 'printer'
version as a straight PDF download, for those who don't have bittorrent
available. http://www.r-bonomi.com/radio/

The server does impose limits on transfers --
it rate-limits that file to 16kbyte/second,
so the download will take almost an hour.
it will also allow no more than 4 simultaneous downloads.
It gives a polite error, if the session limit is reached

Enjoy!
Old May 23rd 05, 05:55 PM
John Smith

Well, gee, I was so enjoying the fact you were out there reading my posts,
what a disappointment now that you have went and dropped me in the old bit
bucket...

And, gee, I did come here just to sit around and idolize everyone... guess
my coarse nature prevents that--oh well, we all have to work with some kind
of handicap--guess we will all survive...

Thanks for pointing out your opinion(s)--I will surely keep it/them in the
back of my mind... perhaps at some future date it/they will be useful, no
knowledge is without merit...

Don't attribute more to me than I am capable of though, can't really take
the credit for "alienating" anyone--they all have free wills and do as they
please--really, I don't have that much control over people--it is really
their strengths and weaknesses which limit or raise them to the heights they
find themselves standing at... thanks for being so flattering though...
unless you meant I should suffer others "control freak" natures--then I must
decline...

Since I have been in the exchange of text, here is this thread-all I have
gotten is a list of won't work, shouldn't work, isn't supposed to work and
might be illegal or offensive to "radio gods"-I don't work that way-indeed,
if the purpose of this is to stop anything-it has exactly the opposite
effect. I can tell from the lack of young and dynamic minds here that you
have been successful, either by intention or not, at quelling all but
conversations revolving around tried and true ideas and in the discussion
and worship of ancient texts-which are obscure and difficult to obtain and
hinder learning by those very facts. interesting way to "run a ship" but not
very conductive to getting anything done. I think most tire of this and
move on-leaving a bunch of grouchy old farts that wish to get back to
worshiping some ancient ham/author that wrote a book/article a few decades
ago. and not be bothered with having to think. not surprising that amateur
radio reflects what is done/said here... and suffers for it.

While this may please some-it does not please me-one must ignore this all
and move on. if you or any others need "ego stroking" perhaps there is
already such a newsgroup thread, or, one could be created. I am almost
positive you will find what you want there-certainly, if not, you will be
left alone there--most likely with others of your ilk--perhaps this will
generate a need to start up a mutual admiration society, and another
newsgroup thread will spring to life.

Warmest regards,
John

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 23rd 05, 07:28 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Robert Bonomi wrote:

I've got reasonable bandwidth resources, so I've put up the 'printer'
version as a straight PDF download, for those who don't have bittorrent
available. http://www.r-bonomi.com/radio/

Many thanks for doing that, Robert! If your server keeps stats, could
you let me know how many downloads it sees over the next few weeks? I
admit to being curious.

FWIW, the BitTorrent tracker reports a total of 60 completed downloads
so far - 21 of the smaller ebook version and 39 of the printer-
optimized version. I find that to be a very satisfying response, for
a day and a half of distribution of an admittedly obscure text... I'm
glad so many people were interested.

I'll be leaving the BitTorrent tracker and seeders running for the
forseeable future. HTTP access is certainly more convenient for most
folks, and for handling sporadic occasional downloading. I may shift
my home system over to doing both sorts of distribution at some point
in the future, when I'm fairly sure that the rush is over.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old May 23rd 05, 08:08 PM
Ian White GM3SEK

Dave Platt wrote:
In article , Robert Bonomi
wrote:

I've got reasonable bandwidth resources, so I've put up the 'printer'
version as a straight PDF download, for those who don't have bittorrent
available. http://www.r-bonomi.com/radio/

Many thanks for doing that, Robert!

Thank you both - especially Dave, for taking all the trouble to produce
such good-quality scans.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old May 23rd 05, 08:36 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
Robert Bonomi wrote:

I've got reasonable bandwidth resources, so I've put up the 'printer'
version as a straight PDF download, for those who don't have bittorrent
available. http://www.r-bonomi.com/radio/

Many thanks for doing that, Robert! If your server keeps stats, could
you let me know how many downloads it sees over the next few weeks? I
admit to being curious.

Of *course* it keeps stats. What fun would it be otherwise? grin

In the 2-1/2 hours since I posted the notice, I've had 7 full downloads,
and a couple of aborted ones.

And one guy _did_ get turned away for a bit, because there were already
4 downloads running.

Drop me an email to remind me, when you want to see the numbers.

Note: I've got a psychic mail-server. The address on the postings _is_
valid, but it accepts mail *only* from inside a newsreader, in reply
to an article I posted. Amazingly effective at eliminating 'spam'.
The reject notice does provide a work-around, for those who need it, too.

Old May 24th 05, 01:58 AM
Tom Ring

Dave Platt wrote:

An electronic (PDF) version of Edmund Laport's 1952 textbook "Radio
Antenna Engineering" is now available for free download. Details may
be found at:

http://snulbug.mtview.ca.us/books/Ra...naEngineering/

Trying to get the torrent with no success. And I know it should work,
got Lineox Enterprise Linux with it recently.

tom
K0TAR
Old May 24th 05, 02:09 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Tom Ring wrote:

Trying to get the torrent with no success. And I know it should work,
got Lineox Enterprise Linux with it recently.

Odd, and interesting! I had a similar report from someone else last
night.

On the other hand, I just went to the link myself, fetched the torrent
file, and my BitTorrent reference client launched itself and started a
download of the -ebook version with no problems at all.

What client are you using? Are you behind some sort of NAT gateway or
other firewall?

The tracker shows me three downloads in progress - my own (of the
-ebook) and two others (of the -printer). I'm getting about half of
the download bandwidth, though, so it may be that one of the transfers
is stalled for some reason.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old May 24th 05, 02:45 AM
Tom Ring

Dave Platt wrote:

What client are you using? Are you behind some sort of NAT gateway or
other firewall?

The tracker shows me three downloads in progress - my own (of the
-ebook) and two others (of the -printer). I'm getting about half of
the download bandwidth, though, so it may be that one of the transfers
is stalled for some reason.

TorrentStorm, behind a NAT, but that has never been an issue before.

tom
K0TAR