Old June 3rd 05, 06:48 PM
Mike Andrews

Dave Stadt wrote:

"funkbastler" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:08:57 -0400, -ex- wrote:

Its also very much a vanity thing. The well-eared gang claim to hear
subtle differences (always an improvement) in certain tubes and will pay
dearly for them...if for no other reason than bragging rights. And then
some tubes have a better proven reliability when stretched to abuse - as
Joe sez.

Sounds like we're dealing with the same folks who think "monster cable"
makes their system sound better.

Those folks also never allow an objective A/B test to cloud their thinking.
Oh well, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Oxygen-free cable for oxygen-free brains. It seems to fit.

--
My S.O. asked me why there wasn't a Microsoft-brand antivirus,
then immediately said, "Oh, of course. If they can't fix the
Old June 3rd 05, 07:08 PM
Chuck Harris

Mike Andrews wrote:

Sounds like we're dealing with the same folks who think "monster cable"
makes their system sound better.

Those folks also never allow an objective A/B test to cloud their thinking.
Oh well, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Oxygen-free cable for oxygen-free brains. It seems to fit.

The Oxygen-free feature of copper wire is about enhanced flexibility,
and improved resistance to breaking. Oxygen free copper wire in power
cords and speaker wires lasts longer.

-Chuck
Old June 3rd 05, 10:29 PM
Gregg

Behold, Chuck Harris scribed on tube chassis:

Mike Andrews wrote:

Sounds like we're dealing with the same folks who think "monster
cable" makes their system sound better.

Those folks also never allow an objective A/B test to cloud their
thinking. Oh well, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Oxygen-free cable for oxygen-free brains. It seems to fit.

The Oxygen-free feature of copper wire is about enhanced flexibility,
and improved resistance to breaking. Oxygen free copper wire in power
cords and speaker wires lasts longer.

-Chuck

Ummmmmm, question?

If kept dry, both will last until long after we die. Is this not a moot
point?

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Old June 3rd 05, 11:51 PM
Chuck Harris

Gregg wrote:
Behold, Chuck Harris scribed on tube chassis:

The Oxygen-free feature of copper wire is about enhanced flexibility,
and improved resistance to breaking. Oxygen free copper wire in power
cords and speaker wires lasts longer.

-Chuck

Ummmmmm, question?

If kept dry, both will last until long after we die. Is this not a moot
point?

Mostly true, the biggest advantage to oxygen free copper is in applications
where the cord gets daily flexing, think of all the times you have found
a broken spot in the cord on an iron, vacuum cleaner or shaver. With oxygen free
wire, it is supposed to last longer.

-Chuck
Old June 4th 05, 01:03 AM
Steven Swift

Tubes for audiophiles get bid up in strange ways. I once bought a random
box of tubes on Ebay because it had a couple of tubes I needed in it. But
the seller tossed in all his junkers. Turned out that there were 10 or so
TungSol 6SN7s in the box-- dirty, but tested fine. I put them back up on
Ebay in the audio group and they sold for about $10 each.

30 years ago, I helped the University of Washington clean out the old
electrical engineering building and we tossed out 10's of thousands of
tubes in pallet loads. No one was allowed to scrounge, although some of
the professors packed away stuff in their car trunks.

Clean out your old dustbins-- might be cash there.
--
Steven D. Swift, , http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC. P.O. Box 55997

Old June 4th 05, 01:26 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

HPGrn wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:08:43 -0400, Chuck Harris
wrote:

cords and speaker wires lasts longer.

-Chuck

Chuck,

"...lasts longer." Can you provide more specifics?

Comparison figures, etc.

Thanks and awaiting enlightenment.

I doubt there is any data to support that, it just that the audiophools
fall for the hype hook, line, and sinker while the folks that sell the
stuff to them laugh all the way to the bank.

Old June 4th 05, 05:08 AM
Chuck Harris

wrote:

cords and speaker wires lasts longer.

-Chuck

Chuck,

"...lasts longer." Can you provide more specifics?

Comparison figures, etc.

Thanks and awaiting enlightenment.

I doubt there is any data to support that, it just that the audiophools
fall for the hype hook, line, and sinker while the folks that sell the
stuff to them laugh all the way to the bank.

Buzz, audiophools don't buy the mass marketed IEC standard power cords, such
as are used on your PC, but they are all "oxygen-free" copper wire. This is
a standard feature of modern copper wire manufacture.

-Chuck
Old June 4th 05, 06:55 AM
-ex-

funkbastler wrote:

Ever seen the stuff used on arc welders? Big bundles of very fine
strands, with a soft rubber (or rubber-like material) jacket. Lasts
a long, long time, doesn't break with flexing, and it's not low-
oxygen.

Just imagine how long it would last if it were low-oxygen

-ex