Old June 2nd 05, 02:01 AM
Joe

They use them in guitar amps for the way they transition into distortion,
tone
The RCA with the black plates do sound totally different, they are going
after specific tubes made by spacific factorys , spacific years
They ID them by plates, getters, tops, logos.
A set of domestic GE 6CA7's or RCA 6V6's is a hard find in 2006.
All the Eastern block and Chinese (fancy silkscreen reliable Groove Tubes)
just sound lousy or short
You cant run them in a classic Marshall JTM 45 and play Led
Zepplin.........even if you turn down to 11.

Some of these rock and roll and Bass guitar amps like a 70's Ampeg SVT are
very hard on tubes, who needs a failure in the middle of a show or have lug
a spare 90 pound beast around.

Check out the prices on Telefunken 12AX7's, GE 6550's and British
KT-88's.......OUCH !

-Joe

"funkbastler" wrote in message
Somebody please clue me in about what's going on. A pair
of 6CA7's just went for $203. Earlier today, a pair of
6SN7's went for over $300 (I missed out on checking the final
price). I get the impression that people are collecting these,
and the color of the base, or the shape of the getter, or
*whatever* is very important (to them) in determining the value.

Can anyone really tell the difference in the way 6SN7's by
RCA/Sylvania/Dumont/etc sound in a preamp? Does a brown base
impart better tonal qualities than a black base, or is it the
other way around?

Tell me what's driving these ridiculous prices.... I may be
sitting on a gold mine here and not know it.

--
-fb-

Old June 2nd 05, 03:08 AM
-ex-

Joe wrote:

[...]

Its also very much a vanity thing. The well-eared gang claim to hear
subtle differences (always an improvement) in certain tubes and will pay
dearly for them...if for no other reason than bragging rights. And then
some tubes have a better proven reliability when stretched to abuse - as
Joe sez.
I can't hear these differences so to me any 6SN7 will always be just
another old TV set tube and anything more than $2/pair is excessive.
If you fancy yourself to be a seller in that market be prepared to have
on hand a $500 tube tester sitting somewhere to validate your claims and
a tonne of otherwise-useless BS writing skills.
Do some research and find out which ones sell and go for it. That
research and effort is what the deep-pocketed audio buyer is ultimately
paying for.
\
-ex

Old June 2nd 05, 08:02 AM
Gregg

Behold, funkbastler scribed on tube chassis:

Somebody please clue me in about what's going on. A pair of 6CA7's just
went for $203. Earlier today, a pair of 6SN7's went for over $300 (I
missed out on checking the final price). I get the impression that
people are collecting these, and the color of the base, or the shape of
the getter, or *whatever* is very important (to them) in determining the
value.

Can anyone really tell the difference in the way 6SN7's by
RCA/Sylvania/Dumont/etc sound in a preamp? Does a brown base impart
better tonal qualities than a black base, or is it the other way around?

Tell me what's driving these ridiculous prices.... I may be sitting on a
gold mine here and not know it.

Audiophoolery.

Tubes like that between experienced developers go for 1/50 the price.

Checkout "oldconvent" or Gintaras at KWTUBES - real men, no phools ;-)

--
Gregg "t3h g33k"
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca
Old June 2nd 05, 01:37 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Gregg wrote:
[...]

The audiophools have money and no common sense what-so-ever.

Old June 2nd 05, 02:00 PM
Dave Stadt

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:08:57 -0400, -ex- wrote:

Its also very much a vanity thing. The well-eared gang claim to hear
subtle differences (always an improvement) in certain tubes and will pay
dearly for them...if for no other reason than bragging rights. And then
some tubes have a better proven reliability when stretched to abuse - as
Joe sez.

Sounds like we're dealing with the same folks who think "monster cable"
makes their system sound better.

--
-fb-

Those folks also never allow an objective A/B test to cloud their thinking.
Oh well, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Old June 2nd 05, 04:29 PM
JB

Sounds like we're dealing with the same folks who think "monster

cable"
makes their system sound better.

It does! Particularly with higher currents. Although I never
fell for the clear insulation that acts as a magnifier and makes
the wire look much bigger. The difference between 22# and
14# is noticeable when making a side by side comparison.
Even on a car stereo. Makes a big difference with my trailer
lights too!

Anyone have a list of these golden tubes? I just put REL 811a
set in my linear and it seems to work just fine. I have (1)ea.
new RCA JAN 811a if anyone is interested.

--
AC6TK
http://tekstuff.freespaces.com

Old June 2nd 05, 04:46 PM
Joe

I have never met an audiophile who wasnt an idiot, these guys are driving up
the prices for the guys who really need NOS tubes to make a living that pays
crap to begin with.
*&^%$# Yuppies !

Old June 3rd 05, 03:02 AM
funkbastler

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:29:42 -0700, "JB" wrote:

Sounds like we're dealing with the same folks who think "monster

cable"
makes their system sound better.

It does! Particularly with higher currents. Although I never
fell for the clear insulation that acts as a magnifier and makes
the wire look much bigger. The difference between 22# and
14# is noticeable when making a side by side comparison.
Even on a car stereo. Makes a big difference with my trailer
lights too!

Well, let's not confuse monster wire with plain ol' large-gauge
wire.

Anyone have a list of these golden tubes? I just put REL 811a
set in my linear and it seems to work just fine. I have (1)ea.
new RCA JAN 811a if anyone is interested.

Dang! Was kinda lookin for one to use in a linear to hang on
the output end of my IC-703, but ended up buying an AL-811.
Now I have an L-4B I need to get rid of.

--
-fb-