Old June 13th 05, 08:35 AM
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY

I've been around this hobby a long time and the
typical non collector out there

So now typical "non-collectors" are just stupid shysters with get rich
quick dreams?

There. Now I've said it. My anti-caustic 1940s AA5 Bakelite flame suit
works very well so have at it.

-Bill M

I live it when you guys get fired up. He He He He He...

Ron

Old June 13th 05, 08:50 AM
-ex-

Ron Lawrence KC4YOY wrote:

There. Now I've said it. My anti-caustic 1940s AA5 Bakelite flame suit
works very well so have at it.

-Bill M

I live it when you guys get fired up. He He He He He...

Ron

"Live" it while you can, Ronny-boy. 'Radio Heaven' ain't going to fit
in the coffin with you.

-Bill
Old June 13th 05, 09:58 AM
Lou

"David Stinson" wrote in message
k.net...
Brian Hill wrote:

I agree Ron. It's called fishing and it's brought on by greed.

Oh, don't be such a cynic.
It's often rooted in timidity, embarrassment,
the fear of admitting ignorance,
fear if offending friends, fear of appearing
greedy or foolish or any number
of innocuous reasons. An important maxim to remember:

Do not be quick to attribute to malice,
that which is more easily explained by ignorance.

I agree. Depending on how long ago the father passed away, they may not be
prepared to deal with this. They may have no one to turn to to get advice on
prices of said equipment. They may be clueless as to what to sell it for. I
know - I've seen it a few times. I know a lady right now who's husband
passed away 10 years ago, she refuses to sell his stuff. She doesn't want to
deal with it. They may not want to price it too high - as Dave said, fear of
embarassment. They may be having a tough time just parting with it.

I know of a guy too, who makes it his business to go to Estates and gyp
people out of equipment for pennies on the dollar, then try to get top price
for it ONLY after he has screwed with it and messed it up. He is well known
and many tend to stay away.

Give this guy the benefit of the doubt..... If he's posted no prices, offer
him a reasonable price. I'm sure he'd consider it.

Lou

Old June 13th 05, 12:36 PM
Lou

" Ron Lawrence KC4YOY" wrote in message
. ..
I agree Ron. It's called fishing and it's brought on by greed.

Oh, don't be such a cynic.

I've been around this hobby a long time and the
typical non collector out there is thinking that
they've got the holy grail of radios, "one only one there is",
a "prototype" and they just want some big gun collector
to come along and make them rich.

As an example, I got a phone call a while back from
a man that had a "prototype" tube tester. He said
he had talked to the folks at Southeby's about it and
they told him that if they had it in their auction the
starting bid would be 100K. He also said the Smithsonian
wanted to buy it, but they wanted to display it for a year
first. When I asked why he hadn't given it to Southeby's
and let them sale it, he explained that he was on full
disability and if he came into that much money the guvment
(that's the way he said it) would stop his checks.
I asked him to send me some photos of it so I could
get the opinion of some experts tube testers I knew.
When I got the photos they showed a dirty, rusty,
60's vintage counter top drug store tube tester.
When I email the photos to some of the "experts"
and asked they what they thought the value of it would be,
they typical answer was $25-$50, IF you could find someone
that wanted it. They didn't.
That's really a difference from 100K that Southeby's
said it was worth...
There wasn't any GREED at work there, was there?

Ron

No doubt, there are shysters out there.... but ya can't automatically claim
it of all. People will try to screw you in person as quick as look at ya, as
they would online. Ya just have to be cautious no matter who you're dealing
with.

Old June 14th 05, 02:50 AM
Brian Hill

Brian Hill wrote:

I agree Ron. It's called fishing and it's brought on by greed.

Oh, don't be such a cynic.
It's often rooted in timidity, embarrassment,
the fear of admitting ignorance,
fear if offending friends, fear of appearing
greedy or foolish or any number
of innocuous reasons. An important maxim to remember:

Do not be quick to attribute to malice,
that which is more easily explained by ignorance.

Oh come on Stinson. Allow me to stir the pot once in a wile too. In my
experience of a measly 30 years I will stick with my original assumption.

--
73 and good DX. B.H.
Brian's Radio Universe

Old June 14th 05, 02:56 AM
Brian Hill

"-ex-" wrote in message
Ron Lawrence KC4YOY wrote:

There. Now I've said it. My anti-caustic 1940s AA5 Bakelite flame suit
works very well so have at it.

-Bill M

I live it when you guys get fired up. He He He He He...

Ron

"Live" it while you can, Ronny-boy. 'Radio Heaven' ain't going to fit in
the coffin with you.

-Bill

Not so fast BM. Ron may have a tomb like King Tut all set up and ready to
go. LOL!!

Old June 14th 05, 04:38 AM
Phil Nelson

Oh, don't be such a cynic.
It's often rooted in timidity, embarrassment,

snip
Do not be quick to attribute to malice,
that which is more easily explained by ignorance.

Well said. I get a lot of email from people who just inherited or found
something. They are not radio people. They basically don't have a clue and
they're not trying to get rich. If I were willing to pay shipping for this
stuff (which is often crap IMHO), I could fill a warehouse to the ceiling.
Many of them are also not Internet-savvy, so you could earn some bonus karma
points by giving them a break. In the last two or three years, I have gotten
hundreds of "do you want to buy this" emails, and of those bought one, yes
count it, one radio, a Midwest console that was within easy driving
distance. For the rest, I advised the owners to contact the nearest radio
collector club or make a nice donation to a local charity.

Lighten up :-)

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old June 14th 05, 10:22 PM
Brian Hill

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
[...]

Lighten up? Not Internet-savvy? He sure found his way here and the guys
question sure seems like a funny thing to ask with the best radio price
estimator of all time right at his fingertips "EBAY" It was easier to find
Ebay than it was to find this place and he knows enough about radios to
equate boatanchor with radio.

Old June 15th 05, 01:01 PM
Lou

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

[...]

I don't necessarily agree. Yes, many know of and use E-Bay to buy and sell.
Maybe not all - think to use E-Bay as a "price comparison" given some prices
ARE a bit outrageous. Let's face it, some folks put stuff up for bid at a
starting price for a hell of a lot more than it is worth. That can NOT
honestly be construed as a "guide". If the "price" can't be used as a guide,
neither can the condition of some of the junk listed. His best bet would be
to accept offers, or seek the help of local hams for selling his father's
gear.

To give another example... "I" know of google, yet I have only used it maybe
3 times. Why? Because I really have no use for it. I can get a quicker reply
often by asking those in the know - meaning "someone" on here, usually has
an answer to a problem or question. So, would I or DO I recommend google to
others? NO.

Everyone has their own reasons for doing or not doing things a certain way.
Maybe this guy isn't "that" internet savvy - to trust or even use E-Bay. I'm
not a computer whiz either. A lot of what I know, I learned by doing, not
asking. Some things I learned pretty quick, others took me a bit of time.
Not everyone is a computer whiz. Finding the news groups was not exactly
rocket science for me, and most likely wasn't for him or others - either.

Personally, if it were me facing the scrutiny just for that basic listing,
I'd say *&^k it and sell it at the first flea market I could get to.
Nothing is worth that bull ****. Who knows, he may get ****ed and just toss
the stuff and someone could lose out on some otherwise top notch gear. These
groups aren't exactly user friendly when it comes to helping "all".

Just my 2 cents.

L.

FS: H-P test equipmt - estate sale D Ostroy Swap 0 February 24th 05 07:09 PM
Estate Sale [email protected] Swap 0 April 21st 04 01:51 PM
HUGE ESTATE SALE!! BUY ALL !! K5JOE Swap 13 October 15th 03 02:33 PM
Estate sale, antique electronics Bob Swap 0 September 17th 03 05:48 PM