Old July 5th 05, 02:40 AM
Uncle Peter

"Bob Rinaldi" wrote in message
I sold them all....

Boxing and packing had to be even worse!

Pete

Old July 5th 05, 06:28 AM
Michael A. Terrell

K3HVG wrote:

Ed, Although I can still move many of my vintage BA's via "personal
mobility", I have a flat-top work cart that's a bit more than desk
height. I transfer to the cart, then to the bench. Beats the heck out
of trying to horse an R-390A around. Similar carts are available from
Harbor Freight. Look for one without the raised sides, though.. that's
the key.

Just turn the top tray upside down, or make a plywood cap that drops
over the tray.
That way you can use the same cart for different jobs. I cut 1/2"
plywood and drop it into the bottom of the tray and add a thin piece of
industrial carpet to protect the finish on things that spend a lot of
time on the bottom tray.

--
http://home.earthlink.net/~computersforvets/

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old July 5th 05, 06:31 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Randy or Sherry Guttery wrote:

Ed wrote:
I have just realized that I am as old as my radios. I can't pick up 100
pound transmitters any more.

Even in my younger days, since most of my radios weigh as much as I do -
(since I'm around 100 pounds myself) this has always been an issue.
While he's often a PITA; that's one of the main reasons I keep Randy
around: he's still useful as "gorilla" - ah - er "crane"! ;).

Seriously - a sturdy cart about the right height to "slide" 390s, AR88s,
RAO-6's, ART13s and such to and from tables, the work bench, etc. is a
must. Equally seriously - recruiting help when moving the big ones goes
from being a convenience - to a necessity.
--
Sherry

Be careful Sherry, you know he reads this newsgroup, too. ;-)

Old July 6th 05, 03:07 AM
tchrme

Isn't that why we have kids? My son is 6'4" 200lbs and an electronic
engineering major so he knows about delicate equipement. 73 Mike KF6KXG

Old July 6th 05, 06:03 PM

Easy: have a buyer show up & help you lug it to his truck. :-)

Old July 7th 05, 04:28 AM
Michael A. Terrell

tchrme wrote:

Isn't that why we have kids? My son is 6'4" 200lbs and an electronic
engineering major so he knows about delicate equipement. 73 Mike KF6KXG

No kids, I walk with a cane and I like to work on heavy old receivers
and test equipment so I had to find something that works for me.

Old July 19th 05, 03:24 PM
Jerry McCarty

On 4-Jul-2005, " Uncle Peter" wrote:

I have the same problems with 100 lbs. receivers, going in and out
of a six foot rack!! The AR-88D is a 98 lb. beast!

Here's what I do. Good engineering practice calls for a minimum of 1 RU
between rack mounted items. I have two 1 RU panels with fairly beefy angle
stock mounted on them. Put one on the front of the rack, under the radio and
attach the other to the rear rack rails. Cut some pieces wood long enough to
firmly rest on the angles and thick enough to fit snugly against the bottom
of the unit. Note- it has to fit against the bottom of the unit, not the
bottom of the front panel. Pop the rack screws out of the unit and your unit
should rest comfortably on the temporary shelf making it much easier to
slide out. Makes it even easier to slide in since you aren't trying to hold
the dumb thing in place while inserting the screws.

This may be easier to visualize than describe. If there is any interest, I
can do a quick PDF.

And some day I'll tell you how I get my 250 lb. FRR-59 into a rack by
myself.
Old July 20th 05, 02:28 AM
Uncle Peter

"Jerry McCarty" wrote in message

[...]

Ended up with a large 4 rail rack, which will lend itself to installing
paralled
runners along the sides for the receiver chassis's to rest and slide on.

Still leaves the problem of carry the AR-88 around the room, though...

Pete

Don't like Bush? Move to Canada - it's easy ! ! ! Jack Isn't Here Shortwave 18 November 21st 04 12:05 AM
RFPI's Transmitters On the Move Mike Terry Shortwave 0 October 13th 04 09:35 PM
Did the profit move? LW Shortwave 2 July 15th 04 04:30 PM
Base Closures N8KDV Shortwave 10 January 20th 04 01:39 AM
Free Boatanchors Jerry W. O'Dell Boatanchors 1 July 21st 03 12:12 PM