Old August 9th 05, 09:21 PM
-ex-

Brian Hill wrote:
Lets also not forget that we never use a variac with out a volt meter
because not everyone's line voltage is the same and we can't just blindly
trust the markings on the variac either. The best variacs have voltmeters on
them but most don't. A lot of old radios were not designed for 120 volt so
there good to have just for testing but one needs to know exactly what
voltage is being put out.

And lets not use one without an ammeter either. You can still fry an
unknown radio at low voltage.

-Bill
Old August 9th 05, 09:34 PM
Brian Hill

"-ex-" wrote in message
Brian Hill wrote:
Lets also not forget that we never use a variac with out a volt meter
because not everyone's line voltage is the same and we can't just blindly
trust the markings on the variac either. The best variacs have voltmeters
on them but most don't. A lot of old radios were not designed for 120
volt so there good to have just for testing but one needs to know exactly
what voltage is being put out.

And lets not use one without an ammeter either. You can still fry an
unknown radio at low voltage.

-Bill

Yes sir Bill you can.

B.H.

Old August 10th 05, 12:16 AM
Michael Black

-ex- ) writes:
Brian Hill wrote:
Lets also not forget that we never use a variac with out a volt meter
because not everyone's line voltage is the same and we can't just blindly
trust the markings on the variac either. The best variacs have voltmeters on
them but most don't. A lot of old radios were not designed for 120 volt so
there good to have just for testing but one needs to know exactly what
voltage is being put out.

And lets not use one without an ammeter either. You can still fry an
unknown radio at low voltage.

-Bill

And of course, a variac is not the same thing as an isolation transformer.

Michael VE2BVW

Old August 10th 05, 10:39 AM
Ed Price

"Panzer240" wrote in message
"Diane" wrote in
:

Dumb question, but how does it affect my old tube receivers slowly
bringing up the voltage using my 12amp variable transformer versus a
smaller one? Is it just overkill or is there some danger to the radio?
-Phil (not Diane)

As stated no effect, excpet in the case where you try to use it with
something that requires more than 12 Amps of current. Then you will get
smoke
from the Variac How much smoke depends on:

1. How fast your reflexes are and:
2. How much more current than 12 amps the device requires.

:-D

Also depends on how big a fan you have blowing on the Variac.

--
Ed
WB6WSN

Old August 10th 05, 04:04 PM
Randy or Sherry Guttery

Ed Price wrote:

Also depends on how big a fan you have blowing on the Variac.

Maybe - but generally - how variacs react to overload depends on what
kind of shape the brush assembly is in--- if its pitted and nasty -
(usually because the spring has gotten weak) it's going to generate
excessive heat even before it reaches rated current- and once across
that- then even a fan won't help. Variacs (variable autotransformers)
need care and maintenance like all equipment - and since they're so
simple - often taken for granted and ignored - until they protest by
letting their smoke out...

best regards...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com

Old August 15th 05, 03:45 AM
Williams

Well, I use a fast-acting 1 amp fuse that the variac's got a place for.
And 0.5 amp fuse when I'm feeling cautious.
Seems to me, a 12 amp variac will let 12 amps into a rig if there's any
way for it to do so. **Sizzle**POP!...POP!
Now, wuunathesedays, I'm gonna see if there's an ammeter [as low as
100ma] / voltmeter variac on eBay I can afford... can afford to be a piece
of junk when I get it, so I can try again, nyuck, nyuck!

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article ,
Diane wrote:
Dumb question, but how does it affect my old tube receivers slowly

bringing
up the voltage using my 12amp variable transformer versus a smaller one?

Is
it just overkill or is there some danger to the radio?
-Phil (not Diane)

Well, ordinarily you'd be plugging it into a 15 amp or a 20 amp electrical
outlet, after all.
--scott

Old November 18th 05, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Howard Weeks

Default Variac Too Powerful ???

Why do you keep asking this question?
I know it has been answered numerous times.

Old November 19th 05, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
David G. Nagel

"Diane" wrote in message

Dumb question, but how does it affect my old tube receivers slowly

bringing

up the voltage using my 12amp variable transformer versus a smaller one?

Is

it just overkill or is there some danger to the radio?
-Phil (not Diane)

Simple answer. It will not cause any damage to your radio. All it means
is the variac will supply 12 amps and the smaller one less. Why would
you want to do this anyway?

Dave N