Old August 8th 05, 06:16 AM
Diane

Default Variac Too Powerful ???

Dumb question, but how does it affect my old tube receivers slowly bringing
up the voltage using my 12amp variable transformer versus a smaller one? Is
it just overkill or is there some danger to the radio?
-Phil (not Diane)

Old August 8th 05, 06:26 AM
-ex-

Diane wrote:

Dumb question, but how does it affect my old tube receivers slowly bringing
up the voltage using my 12amp variable transformer versus a smaller one? Is
it just overkill or is there some danger to the radio?
-Phil (not Diane)

Doesn't make any difference.
-Bill
Old August 8th 05, 03:42 PM
albert & brittany spears

You need to brush up on electronics.theory - seriously.

Instead of playing with nice old radios perhaps Lego blocks might be your
speed.

Old August 8th 05, 03:56 PM
why_not@spam_sucks.org

"Diane" wrote in message

Dumb question, but how does it affect my old tube receivers slowly
bringing up the voltage using my 12amp variable transformer versus a
smaller one? Is it just overkill or is there some danger to the radio?
-Phil (not Diane)

Maybe you need to take your lego's and go home or better yet, take a
course in basic human relations - how to play well with others.
Old August 8th 05, 04:04 PM
Steve

Phil,
Not a dumb question at all. Your variac will work just fine.
I'd strongly suggest using an appropriate fuse between
the variac and radio under test.

Steve

Old August 8th 05, 04:28 PM
Panzer240

"Diane" wrote in
:

Dumb question, but how does it affect my old tube receivers slowly
bringing up the voltage using my 12amp variable transformer versus a
smaller one? Is it just overkill or is there some danger to the radio?
-Phil (not Diane)

As stated no effect, excpet in the case where you try to use it with
something that requires more than 12 Amps of current. Then you will get smoke
from the Variac How much smoke depends on:

1. How fast your reflexes are and:
2. How much more current than 12 amps the device requires.

:-D

--
Panzer

Old August 8th 05, 05:01 PM
not i

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:42:30 GMT, "albert & brittany spears"
wrote:

You need to brush up on electronics.theory - seriously.

Instead of playing with nice old radios perhaps Lego blocks might be your
speed.

Diane is much brighter than you are. I don't think you are even
qualified for lego blocks. Something to do with maturity.

Old August 8th 05, 06:33 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Diane wrote:
Dumb question, but how does it affect my old tube receivers slowly bringing
up the voltage using my 12amp variable transformer versus a smaller one? Is
it just overkill or is there some danger to the radio?
-Phil (not Diane)

Well, ordinarily you'd be plugging it into a 15 amp or a 20 amp electrical
outlet, after all.
--scott
Old August 8th 05, 07:49 PM
Don Bowey

On 8/8/05 8:28 AM, in article ,
"Panzer240" wrote:

"Diane" wrote in
:

Dumb question, but how does it affect my old tube receivers slowly
bringing up the voltage using my 12amp variable transformer versus a
smaller one? Is it just overkill or is there some danger to the radio?
-Phil (not Diane)

As stated no effect, excpet in the case where you try to use it with
something that requires more than 12 Amps of current. Then you will get smoke
from the Variac How much smoke depends on:

1. How fast your reflexes are and:
2. How much more current than 12 amps the device requires.

:-D

I'm jumping into this thread late, but....

Actually, there is one other condition which requires caution.

Your "Variac" may be capable, depending on the model and options that are
wired, of putting out a stepped-up voltage. As I recall, mine can raise the
voltage about 15%. It's a useful option, but you must be careful, and don't
use it until you have a need you clearly understand.

As to the 12A limit; 12A is a bunch of current, but equipment uses only as
much as it needs. You can fairly accurately determine the current your
receiver should draw by checking the receiver specs for the Watts. Often
this will be on a label on the rear or bottom of the receiver.

If your nominal line voltage (E) is 120V and the posted Watts (P) for the
receiver is 350, then the current (I) should be 2.92 Amps (I=P/E).

Don

Don

Old August 9th 05, 09:10 PM
Brian Hill

Lets also not forget that we never use a variac with out a volt meter
because not everyone's line voltage is the same and we can't just blindly
trust the markings on the variac either. The best variacs have voltmeters on
them but most don't. A lot of old radios were not designed for 120 volt so
there good to have just for testing but one needs to know exactly what
voltage is being put out.

--
73 and good DX. B.H.
Brian's Radio Universe